Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Heart Rate

Posted by JoyWin 
Heart Rate
May 11, 2018 12:50AM
Could someone answer a question for me please.

Over the many years I've had AF (I believe Vagal, usually 4-5 times a month lasting between 5 hours and 12 hours , spontaneously converts)
I have always managed my AF myself and have had very few trips to ER.

***I have always wondered what other peoples HR peaks at when in AF

Reason I ask is because mine usually is around 165+ BPM (on Kardia device these days) always was fast.
Last night it suddenly took off after eating a piece of licorice and was so fast I couldn't count and neither could Kardia. I could actually see it in my diaphragm. I was weak and short of breath and really dizzy, which I usually am, but this was much worse. It finally settled to around 150-160 when I went to bed and overnight it converted back to SR.

This time was very scary but my cardiologists usual advice is pop another pill and have a lie down so I didn't bother to call. Of course my worry is I will pass out and not wake up...

I take only Eliquis 2.5x2 and 20 mg Verapamil x2 daily, along with Mag,Taurine, Ribose, Vite D, C, B12, Krill oil, CoQ10, and a couple of others. I cant take Flecainide and am avoiding Amiodarone.

What is too fast...and when should I go to hospital?

Kind Regards

Joy Win
Re: Heart Rate
May 11, 2018 08:38AM
Anything over 100 is too fast in a long-term sense, as it will cause heart failure. In this case, long-term means weeks to months. Your episodes, while fast, aren't nearly long enough to risk that. In your case, the high rate just mean cardiac insufficiency and poor hemodynamic stability. Thus the dizziness.

My rates were thankfully low. I'd say the average was about 85bpm when in AF with the extremes being 100 and 55 (yes, you read that right, 55).
May 11, 2018 09:19AM
Thanks for the response Wolfpack, I can’t help the anxiety when the HR starts to climb. You would think after 15 years it would be ho hum.

The joys of AF I guess smiling bouncing smiley
Ken
May 11, 2018 09:31AM
While in afib and before taking HR control meds, my HR was 180, but with control, about 100. Normal rate in the 50's.
May 11, 2018 03:39PM
I am very symptomatic when I have an A-fib episode. My heart rate has exceeded 200 BPM and has gone as high as 250 BPM. When that has happened, I went to the emergency room. Over the course of about 3 years I had three ablations. Since the 3rd ablation in September of 2014, I have been free of A-fib as far as I know. I have a pacemaker (which I got in order to take some of the a-fib medicine without going into bradycardia) and when my pacemaker is checked, it tells if I've had any a-fib episodes. I had been advised to go to the ER if my heart rate exceeded 140 BPM and did not return to a normal pace after taking an extra metoprolol...or whatever medication I was taking at the time. I did not experience syncope with the rapid heart rate, but I definitely knew I was in A-fib. I do not use the Kardia monitor because I have heard that it is not accurate when one has a pacemaker. On the other hand, I have heard from people who DO have pacemakers and find that the Kardia works for them...so I am contemplating getting one anyway. While it has been more than 3 1/2 years since my last ablation which seems to have been successful, I still take Eliquis as a safeguard against stroke should the a-fib return. I am not taking any rhythm or rate control medicines, but I do take 5 MG Norasc and 10 MG lisinopril for blood pressure. I have a prescription for Metoprolol to use as a pill in the pocket if the a-fib reoccurs.
May 12, 2018 02:34AM
Good question about when is the rate to high. If you are that symptomatic it certainly wouldn't be wrong to go to the ER Room. They could lower your HR in a monitored setting.

"my cardiologists usual advice is pop another pill and have a lie down"

So your Cardio Dr. is saying take an extra 20mg of Verapimil?

Talking with your Dr. about what else you can take to lower your HR while in AFIB seems prudent. It's great that you are self-converting within 12 hours, Sounds like you just need to lower your AFIB HR, to make these episodes more mundane.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login