Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Switching from one BP to another

Posted by traceyf45 
Switching from one BP to another
May 09, 2018 09:33PM
Since Ive been having extreme shakiness tremors and high level anxiety since my first AFib episode where I was taken off the Atenolol that I had been taking for 17 years for migraines and started on Diltiazem my cardiologist has decided to have me stop the Diltiazem and start Metaprolol. I currently take 120mg ER of the Diltiazem at bedtime. She wants me to not that that tonight and instead take 50 mg of Metaprolol Succ ER instead. She said that I wont have any withdrawals from the Diltiazem. I’m nervous...of course.....because I was halfway through atenolol withdrawal when I went into A fib. Stopping it cold turkey I think added to these problems. My resting HR is around 53bpm. Blood pressure on the Diltiazem is good at 122/73. However when I’m having these frequent rushes of adrenaline HR is up near 100 and BP 154/88. Ive stopped driving because I cant sit still at all. Ready to stop the madness already. If anyone can help or has switched from Diltiazem to Metaprolol please let me know.

Thanks
Re: Switching from one BP to another
May 09, 2018 09:47PM
"Ready to stop the madness already" we should get a rubber stamp made for that. Others might be able to speak to the transition, but Metropolol seems to be the "likely will work" beta blocker commonly dispensed (your description is for the once a day / extended release version), a) for me it absolutely works, b) it makes me tired. Just fwi, that is a fairly common "dislike", fatigue / fogginess. But as you have described, you have current drug-effects you need to get out of, as well.
May 09, 2018 10:32PM
Tracy;

Did Atenolol help your migraines? I just don't see how a beta blocker helps migraines, I get oral migraines sometimes, certain supplements will cause them.

I can't help you with those 2 drugs as I have never taken them, the beta blocker that you were taken no doubt calmed you. I did take Atenolol when I first got AF, for me it was an awful drug, made me very tried and I believe it contributed to my 1st degree heart block.

Why would your doctor change your drug when it seems you were doing well on Diltiazim, have you talked to her about the symptoms that you are having? Metropolol has beta blocker.

Liz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2018 10:42PM by Elizabeth.
May 09, 2018 11:11PM
I was given the Atenolol for ocular migraines by a neurologist. The thinking is that when you have a migraine your blood pressure tends to spike high, thus contributing to the spamming of the small blood vessels in the brain....causing migraine. That was the thinking 17 years ago anyways. To be fair the addition of the atenolol calmed my migraines and knock on wood i only experienced them a couple times a year afterwards.

I have anxiety and am prone to panic attacks. I think the atenolol helped with that as well little did I know until they took me off of it and all those Panic symptoms have returned in full force. The Atenolol did make me tired and also made me have exersize intolerant as well

I have not taken the Diltiazem tonight and just did take the metoprolol 50 mgs ER ........hoping my HR doesn’t dip to low. On the atenolol it ran the same as on the Diltiazem. Im pretty sure on EKGS from years and years ago I remember seeing bradycardia written on them.

I just need the crazy tremors, sweating, flushing and nervousness to go away so I can at least function!

I agree with the stop the madness....its all maddening to me!!!
Joe
May 10, 2018 03:09AM
How are your thyroid values?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login