Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Milk of Magnesia Q Please

Posted by mwcf 
Milk of Magnesia Q Please
May 09, 2018 05:37AM
I've decided to have another go with the Waller Water.

Thing is, so far as I can tell, the EU, in their wisdom (.....), have done away with the original garbage-free variety as it had too much sulphate in it - the only one I can get here in the UK is the minty sweetened rubbish.

Is there anywhere in the US that I can buy a decent quantity of the original stuff with half-reasonable postage and packaging rates??

I can get some stuff from Greece that looks OK, but it's hard to tell as the EBay listing doesn't cite the exact ingredients:

[www.ebay.co.uk]

Cheers,

Mike
Re: Milk of Magnesia Q Please
May 09, 2018 01:55PM
Mike,

I've bought powdered magnesium hydroxide here in the US. This stuff is available through Amazon <[www.bulksupplements.com]. This is what is in MoM. By the way, you can also make magesium acetate by reacting mag hydroxide (in either powder or liquid) with vinegar. The ratio of the liquids is 2:7 (MoM to vinegar). I use organic apple cider vinegar for this. For much more on this, go to the tinyurl link at the bottom of this post: <[www.afibbers.org]

By the way, you asked about potassium citrate powder. I recently bought some K Cit. powder from the same people and it seems quite mild to me when I put it in water.

There might be mag hydroxide powder at the chemists, too.

In any case, shipping should be much cheaper on the powders vs. the liquid, since you are not shipping the water.

Cheers,

George
May 09, 2018 02:20PM
Many thanks George - will look into all of this.
Do you make WW using Mag Hydroxide and, if so, how?? (in terms of how many grams/level teaspoons per L of soda water and how do you get it into the soda water without the stuff fizzing out all over the place?)
Cheers,
Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2018 02:24PM by mwcf.
May 09, 2018 02:57PM
Mike,

I could work it out. I've not done it with the soda water as I tend to use the vinegar. The acetate turns into bicarb in the body and it is simpler - you don't need to chill the soda water and the reaction is very fast, so I don't have to plan ahead -- just do it.

I'll try to remember to weigh the powder on my gram scale at home and work it out in measuring spoon units. I'd start with the quantity of magnesium in the original recipe and then work out how many grams of powder that is, then figure the measuring spoon unit from there.

Thinking about the fizz problem, you could put the powder in some water - making your own MoM and then act like is was MoM. My recollection is that it really didn't fizz much till you shake the bottle (capped of course).

George
May 09, 2018 05:18PM
Thanks again George.

Hopefully not too dumb of a Q, but I recall WW’s main benefit being it containing ‘elemental’ magnesium. Does your vinegar analogue contain similarly?

Cheers,

Mike

EDIT: just bought 1kg of Mg hydroxide from your link George. How many grams of this powder to I mix 2:7 with apple vinegar to get 1g elemental Mg per day please? (For starters - and split into 2 doses am and pm - presumably with/after food - at least depending on bowel tolerance).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2018 05:47PM by mwcf.
May 09, 2018 09:16PM
Hi Mike,

So molar mass of magnesium hydroxide is 58.3 and of elemental mag is 24.3. Hence the stuff is 24.3/58.3 = 0.417 or 41.7% mag by weight.

The powder I have is not dense. My scale only measures in grams, one level tsp showed 2 and two level tsps showed 5. So I'm guessing a tsp is about 2.5 g. 2.5 x 0.417 = 1.04 or about 1 g of mag per tsp of the powder.

According to the Waller Water recipe <[www.afibbers.org] 3 tablespoons of MoM has 1500 mg or 1.5 g of magnesium. So, according to my measurements, 1/2 tsp of the mag hydroxide powder = 1 tablespoon of the MoM liquid = 500 mg of Mag.

So for the Waller Water, I'd use 1.5 tsp of powder per liter of chilled CO2 water (when I made it, I always made a double recipe in a 2 liter bottle) For the mag acetate, I'd use 1 tsp (= 2 x 1/2 tsp) per 7 tablespoons of vinegar. In the tinyurl link I referred to, I think he talks about what the pH should be after it reacts. I never worried about it as too much vinegar or too much mag hydroxide didn't really matter to me (in other words if the reaction didn't go to perfect completion). Likewise, there were times I put too much MoM in the CO2 water and you just get magnesium sediment in the bottom of the bottle.

The Waller Water is magnesium bicarbonate, which only exists in an aqueous solution. What the other George who developed the mag acetate recipe said is that it will convert to mag bicarb in the body. Hence they should be equivalent. You can always experiment.

Because my mag needs are so high, I never drank the Waller Water diluted as per the recipe, always the concentrate. You may want to dilute whatever you do and drink throughout the day.

Cheers,

George
May 10, 2018 08:12AM
Many thanks for all of that info George - much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike
May 10, 2018 05:28PM
As an aside, I started using the mag hydroxide powder as underarm deodorant. I had an old glass spice shaker (like cinnamon), with a shaker top that I put it in. I then shake it into my hand and spread on my armpits after a shower. It works pretty well, means I don't need to use the more toxic chemicals in the commercial deodorant and is an extra bit of mag coming into my body through my skin.
May 11, 2018 04:14AM
George; gotta admire your dedication fella!! But doesn't it make something of a mess?!
May 11, 2018 01:54PM
Hi Mike, there can be a little powder on the skin on the chest, but usually not bad. It's kind of like putting talcum powder on. Some on the internet talk about using the MoM liquid for this purpose. You could also dissolve the deodorant in some water to make your own MoM for that purpose. In any case, it seems to work well, is inexpensive, I'm not putting the pile of chemicals on my skin from commercial deodorants and perhaps getting a little more mag in the process. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login