Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Colonoscopy and Flecainide

Posted by Michael777 
Colonoscopy and Flecainide
May 04, 2018 09:20AM
My PCP wants me to get a colonoscopy. What are the issues with colonoscopy while taking flecainide? Are people on flecainide at special risk of depleting their magnesium and potassium during the prep and procedure?

When the doctor puts air in the colon, does this cause tremendous burping and painful gas in the digestive system? My hepatic flexure hurts when I get gas, and burping is very unpleasant.

What questions should I ask the gastroenterologist in the pre colonoscopy interview?

Thank you for your time.
Re: Colonoscopy and Flecainide
May 04, 2018 10:05AM
Tell the nurse that you are an AF patient, and what meds you are on. They will likely prescribe a laxative called Go-Lytely, which is electrolyte sparing and uses more Miralax (polyethelyne glycol) as opposed to straight magnesium citrate.

It should not cause burping, but there will be plenty of passing gas after the procedure is done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2018 10:11AM by wolfpack.
May 04, 2018 10:29AM
The bigger issue is going to be the anticoagulant. I would assume you're on one, yes? The GI doc is almost certainly going to ask you to stop it a couple of days prior to the procedure and maybe another couple of days afterwards if he removes any polyps. That isn't a big risk for most people with afib but it's something you definitely want to make the GI doc aware of in advance and you should probably get your cardiologist involved as well.
May 04, 2018 10:38AM
Okay, thank you. Tell them about the Xarelto, and all other meds. Its good that it doesn't usually cause excessive burping.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2018 10:40AM by Michael777.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login