Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What if TEE reveals a blood clot?

Posted by Sam 
Sam
What if TEE reveals a blood clot?
April 24, 2018 10:31AM
I know the Ablation cannot go ahead. What I'm wondering is what happens cost wise. If I go to Bordeaux the operation will be paid for a month in advance. The TEE has to be done during the week before the op. Do I lose the money and have to pay again when the Ablation can be done?
Re: What if TEE reveals a blood clot?
April 24, 2018 11:09AM
You'd need to ask the Bordeaux people. I would guess they would give you a credit for the future operation, but ask.
April 24, 2018 12:10PM
Keeping your payment would be extraordinarily unethical. I seriously doubt they would do that.
April 24, 2018 02:16PM
What George says.

That said, I know they far prefer it if you've had a TEE in the UK first a few days in advance. Given that - for folks having discontinued AADs 5 days prior - one might get AF in between a UK TEE say 4 days before and the day of the procedure, then whether they do another 'double-check' TEE on the day of the procedure that I don't know.

Please do keep us posted as to what you learn.
Sam
April 24, 2018 03:36PM
So far I have not been able to get an answer from Bordeaux on this. I will keep trying.

They insist on a TEE before going - which makes sense otherwise a person could fly there and have to fly straight home again. As far as I can tell they do not do another TEE there.
April 24, 2018 07:12PM
The first time I went to Bordeaux in 2002 for ablation I had a TEE (TOE) the morning of the procedure - my choice to have it there because it was cheaper than in UK. They found a clot and I was discharged immediately with everything I needed to deal with the clot. I had already paid in advance by credit card for the ablation.

Before I left I spoke to the finance people in the office and told them I would be back as soon as the clot was resolved. They said they would leave the payment as a credit on my account - they would have refunded the money if I wanted, but that would have involved a lot of form filling, and they were delighted not to have to do it.

Two months later I was back there - Prof. Haïssaguerre's secretary had kept me a slot because, she said, she knew I would be back. The ablation went ahead with no further payment required.

The Hôpital Cardiologique is part of the University of Bordeaux, not a private hospital, and their focus is on research and curing people, not on making money so I am sure they would not charge you twice.

Gill (Ms not Mr!)
Sam
April 25, 2018 05:32AM
Thanks, Gill!

Sam
Sam
April 25, 2018 05:33AM
Thanks very much, Gill!

Sam
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login