Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

lucky to convert without taking drugs?

Posted by Joe 
Joe
lucky to convert without taking drugs?
April 24, 2018 02:04AM
After reading a few interesting posts/experiences on your conversions i'd like to add mine.
Hopefully it gives some hope to newbies? We all know how stressful it is to suffer from AF.

68, had about 4months permanent afib; av. 120 - +170 on 24hr holter. Converted after 2nd cardioversion about 28 months ago. Went off Sotalol 20mg/1x/day & Eliquis 5mg 1x/day (i have been reducing the dosage over many months and it was not recommended by the cardiologist - risky)at the beginning of last November.

Woke up 3am today not feeling quite right in the chest. Took BP @ 4am and pulse was 147 very irregular and BP 132/111. It went up as high as 155/84 at one stage up to 12:50pm. That's when i came back from a slow shopping trip to the market and felt very much better.
Pulse was 76 BP 129/74 with only one double beat showing during measurement (i know, it's not very reliable but it's all i got)
While i didn't take drugs i took 3x 900mg Tri-Mg Citrate and 2x 1000mcg B12 (on a hunch).
The episode did make my buy some Acetyl L-Carnitine, Taurine & L-Arginine when i went out shopping. Hope it helps keep the beast away in future.

Since stopping Eliquis i made sure i eat 1/2 clove of raw garlic and 40g of natto every day as well as sleeping 'earthed'. Don't know if it is quackery, but makes me feel a bit better (placebo?).
Have also kept up drinking herbal tea (Hawthorn berries and a few others) 1g of fish oil, 500mg vit. E, 150mg CoQ10, Mg and making sure my D3 levels are up to about 100 .
Re: lucky to convert without taking drugs?
April 24, 2018 10:18AM
Joe,

In the ancient past here, there were discussions about a protocol using liquid mag citrate for conversions (liquid for quicker action). In my real (as opposed to online) life, an afibber friend used B12 to convert.

If you needed an electro cardioversion to convert after a 4 month episode and now converted on your own, it seems like a good sign to me.

George
April 24, 2018 01:47PM
Hi Joe - I agree with George...it sounds like a positive step in the right direction.

Thanks for sharing your 'bag of tricks' to help convert your AF. There have been a variety of options tried and as we know so well, some work for some of us and don't for others... but it's good to have plenty of choices.

As you say, it may sound like quackery, but not really, as often just finding the right combination frequently does work well because we mentally relax and this seems to be an key point. The placebo effect is often works because for some, that effect allows the "inner relaxing mechanism" to function in a positive way that changes your trend for the better. That's the important thing to remember.

I just looked up for another afibber a short paper written about Heart Rate Variability and testing which emphasizes the importance of optimizing one's HRV. There is a paper in our archived files here under Resources by Hans Larsen.. at this link[afibbers.org] and more info here if you're interested.

[www.preventionandhealing.com]

[www.researchgate.net]

I see a functional chiropractor for a periodic 'tune up' by spinal alignment technique called Non-Force Directional Technique and periodically she'll do a HRV scan. Before I had the second ablation, my score was lower than optimal and after recover from the final procedure in 2015, my score was 98 so both she and I were pleased.

Having a calm heart certainly does help with overall stress levels...so anything you can do including placebo effects sounds like a good path to follow. I certainly wish you well as you become stabilized for longer periods.

BTW... love that you are "earthing".... I do that as well ..."just because."

Best to you,
Jackie
Joe
April 25, 2018 04:50AM
Thank you George and Jackie for your feedback!
The B12 is interesting and i only took it on a hunch.

The HRV articles are very interesting indeed. Didn't know about that. Also explains to a degree why my HR significantly reduced after a massage session while i was in permanent AF.

BTW, still in NSR but with the occasional miss and or double beat - so, still not QR.
May 07, 2018 09:05AM
I found your article interesting regarding converting without drugs I am a 66 year old woman recently diagnosed with afib.
Since being diagnosed last May, I have refused all drugs and tried to figure things out for myself.
I also take natto (Cardiokinase, 25 iu) before bed as well as vit E, Magnesium citrate and magnesium gycinate, etc.

Up until recently I was having approx. 3 episodes a week. For some reason, I changed a few things and episodes have
stopped. It's too soon to be sure exactly why they stopped. Getting pressure from family, friends and doctors to be on a blood thinner,
which I have refused. Do you take a blood thinner and which one are you on?

Thanks in advance for any info or insight you can give.
Joe
May 09, 2018 08:00PM
Good luck with your current regimen!
I'm still in NSR but do experience some double beats and missed beats occasionally.

Had blood test the other day and my THS is 4.7mIU/L which is quite high. While the recommended range is .5 to 4 it seems to me that it should be between .3 and 2. Wonder if that triggered my last AF?

I don't take any prescription anti-coagulant since Nov last year. But as mentioned i eat 40g of Natto and 1/2 clove of raw garlic / day.

Alex ( alexndr01) mentioned that cranberry juice changes his INR
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login