Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Another potential problem with starting Eliquis

Posted by lds001 
Another potential problem with starting Eliquis
April 23, 2018 05:02PM
Yesterday I posted about my anxiety about starting Eliquis for my AFib.....first let me say I totally understand the potential problems if I dont take it....so I m motivated to
Get on board even though my anxiety is through the roof.

I called my EP office today to educate myself and get support to start Eliquis. In the course of our conversation I found out that I can no longer take NSAIDS. That is a shock for me. I have some pretty signicant issues with arthritis, disc issues and sinus problems that do not respond to Tylenol...only anti inflammatories. The thought of not being able to relieve that pain is pretty daunting.

Frankly, I just feel like crying.......Knowing the sensitivities I have to medications, I am not even sure I can tolerate Eliquis, and then the thought of not being able to relieve the pain I have ....then put anxiety on top of that and I am feeling overwhelmed.

What do you take for pain. Am I the only one with these issues?
Re: Another potential problem with starting Eliquis
April 23, 2018 05:48PM
lds001
What do you take for pain. Am I the only one with these issues?

No, you're not the only one with this problem. The Arthritis Foundation has a list of alternatives you might find useful.

You might also want to consult a rheumatologist. I would expect they're familiar with this issue and would be able to help you find a solution that works for you.
April 24, 2018 03:54PM
lds - Quick story.. Years ago, I was sent to a Rheumatologist for muscle and joint pain and was given a variety of meds. Being a compliant, trusting patient, I tried a variety of them and didn't receive relief. I stopped and found help through a functional medicine doctor who did a vitamin D test. Turns out that the lab ranges of vitamin D are often considered “normal” when they are as low as 40 ng/ml but my FM doctor wanted to see at least 60.

My labs came back with a vitamin D – the 25 hydroxy D3 or 25 OH D – test level of 18. !!! So, I began to take vitamin D3 in the cholecalciferol form 2,000 IU daily and then 4,000 daily… and eventually tested at 40 but still had aches so increased to 5,000 and then 10,000 IU daily… testing at various points to determine levels. To support my needs in winter, I take 10,000IU daily and in summer 5,000 daily. I get as much morning sun as I can in summer w/o sunscreen. Test twice a year. I’m stabilized and haven’t had muscle or joint pain. I feel my best when I’m between 65 and 70 ng/ml.

Imagine what the side effects would be for me if I had continued for the last 25 years or so those drugs.

With pain issues such as arthritis, which is 'inflammation' of a joint.. . then the remedy is to work on what's causing the inflammation. Typically, that involves looking at dietary consumption of foods known to cause inflammation.... whereas aspirin and NSAIDs can reduce inflammation and thus, pain...it doesn't correct the cause of the inflammation.

George N has posted on his contacts with Stephen Gundry, MD, author of The Plant Paradox which discusses the component of plants known as lectins that are known to cause a variety of ailments, complaints, and pain.

Quoting Dr. Gundry:
The bottom line – when we consume lectins, if we experience pain, or discomfort … or if we suffer heartburn, fatigue, inflammation, or a sick stomach … plants win.

This is a start. There are many other nutrients that help.

Jackie
April 24, 2018 10:09PM
Another thing with Eliquis that I just found out is that it contains a fair amount of lactose. So does Xarelto. So anyone who has milk issues needs to be aware.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login