Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Probiotics and Afib

Posted by Catherine 
Probiotics and Afib
April 10, 2018 02:00PM
Sometimes right after I eat, I experiece palpitations. Sometimes my stomach starts acting up. I’m wondering if probiotics would be helpful.

If so, which kind?
Re: Probiotics and Afib
April 10, 2018 10:40PM
Unlikely as a first order effect.

Probiotic bacteria live in your intestines, not in the stomach where the acid environment would kill them. Palpitations are probably caused by the gastric pressure of a full stomach against the heart, deforming it and perhaps causing some back pressure and atrial stretch triggering ectopic beats.

That’s my theory, anyway. Probiotics are by all means a good choice in many cases, as they can help “speed along” the digestive process in the gut which also helps the stomach empty in less time, thus less epigastric pressure and fewer palps. Try it and see.
April 11, 2018 08:55AM
Catherine - when you say... stomach starts 'acting up,' what exactly do you mean for symptoms and how long after eating does it happen?

Often, people who can't make enough of their own natural stomach acid due to certain nutrient deficiencies will experience gas, bloating, GERD as the food particles can't be broken down...but that's not typically immediate.
The stomach requires a low pH (acidic) which keeps it relatively sterile and in cases when stomach pH is elevated,
there are various symptoms.

But if there is a food sensitivity, the reactions can be fairly quick.

There are several digestive aids that help if you describe in more detail. Probiotics are great for optimizing the intestinal flora that belong there but that's another process.

Jackie
Ken
April 11, 2018 09:09AM
Many years ago, I took Align probiotic (I think that was the brand) after a colonoscopy. I began having GERD symptoms, but didn't correlate it to the Align. I even went in for an Endoscopy to see what was going on, but nothing was found. Then I thought about the Align and stopped taking it and the GERD went away. I haven't taken any probiotics since. Even after multiple colonoscopies (every five years for polyps), my bowel function returns to normal immediately.
April 11, 2018 02:59PM
Ken - glad you were able to eliminate the polyps.

The right type, number of strains and colony population of probiotics are extremely important for health of the microbiome which, in turn, then affects the entire body and especially brain health.

There are many foods that are naturally high in probiotic bacteria that provide a wide range of health benefits. There are also very good probiotics formulas made by Garden of Life (Dr. Formulated) and Ultimate Flora with probiotic strains of 10, 14, 16 and other professional grade products which offer 30 billion, 50 billion and more live cultures in each capsule, for example. The count depends on the degree of therapy needed. GI testing is often the best way to determine appropriate probiotic choices.

The book by Neurologist, David Perlmutter, MD Brain Maker describes "The Power of Gut Microbes to Heal and Protect your Brain.... for Life" is an excellent guide.

Chapter 8 Feeding Your Microbiome - Six Essential Keys to Boosting Your Brain by Boosting Your Gut

Dr. Perlmutter explains the importance of keeping various elements healthy ..." including the vagus nerve... aka the tenth cranial nerve that extends from the brain stem to the abdomen and controls body processes we don't consciously
control such as maintaining the heart rate and controlling digestion." "The population of gut bacteria directly affects the stimulation and function of cells along the vagus and some microbes actually release chemical messengers just as neurons do." (quotes and paraphrases from page 27. ) The whole cascade makes sense when we consider the elements involved in the process and how that might contribute to palpitations and even afib.

Jackie
April 11, 2018 04:27PM
Jackie, i’ll get mild pain lower part of my stomach, almost mimicking pelvic pain, then followed by diarrhea which lasts several says. Presently, the diarrhea has sibsided, but the stools are still not formed well and they float. Otherwise, I haven’t changed my diet, feel really good and full of energy.

The only change is giving up regular tea and now only drink decaf. It has helped reduce my palpitations.
April 11, 2018 04:28PM
Forgot to mention, picked up some Kimchi today. Thought it might work like a probiotic.
April 11, 2018 08:37PM
Catherine
Jackie, i’ll get mild pain lower part of my stomach, almost mimicking pelvic pain, then followed by diarrhea which lasts several says. Presently, the diarrhea has sibsided, but the stools are still not formed well and they float. Otherwise, I haven’t changed my diet, feel really good and full of energy.

The only change is giving up regular tea and now only drink decaf. It has helped reduce my palpitations.

Gallbladder? Have you had that checked? Ultrasound for stones/cysts, HIDA Scan for emptying fraction.
April 12, 2018 05:40AM
Catherine,

I go into AF 90% of the time (probably more) after eating, particularly if I rush it. The same can happen when I drink quickly. I have a very touchy interior. I’m constantly feeling as if my oesophageus is is raw. I can also get an episode if I rub my chest too hard, like say when I’m drying myself after a shower. I’m pretty sure it’s my Vagal Nerve that is super sensitive and probably my heart nerve as well. It’s very disconcerting and I have tried everything. At the moment I’m making and drinking my own Kefir and it seems to help, if you can stand the taste. It certainly hasn’t hurt.
I’d love to have an answer, but all my doc will give me is Nexium. He had no idea what I was talking about when I tried to explain the relationship between eating and AF and said it was just coincidental 🤨
Let me know if you find anything that works.
April 12, 2018 09:09AM
Wolfpak, I recently had a full physical with blood panel Everything was within nirmal range. Today, I’m eleminating a bit more normal, but not quite there.

Is it pissible that sometimes we injest food bourne germs?
April 12, 2018 09:25AM
Joy, I came through a six-hour surgery procedure which left me with Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (Silent Reflux), or LPR.

It took almost two years to get myself back on track by reading. One book that helped me immensly was Why Stomavh Acid Is Good For You, by Dr. Jonathan Wright.

There is a goat farm not too far from us where I would buy fresh goat milk every week and ferment my own Kefir. Ordered the grains from Amazon, revived them and they multiplied. They looked gorgeous. I absolutely loved the taste of Kefir. My mouth is watering as I type this.

Since last June, I have been on whole food/plant based diet. So Kefir is off limits.

I would urge you not to take Nexium or any other PPI’s. They do some nasty damage, long term.
April 12, 2018 02:51PM
Catherine

Is it pissible that sometimes we injest food bourne germs?

It's not possible. It's guaranteed. Especially if you make your own fermented dairy products! That's where stomach acid is so critical. It kills those little buggers - the vast majority of them anyway.

Not sure if gallbadder would necessarily be part of a routing physical. You'd have to make a specific complaint about it. Generally speaking if you have discomfort and loose stools after a high-fat meal, the gallbladder would be suspect.
April 12, 2018 07:17PM
Wolfpack, I’ve pretty much stayed fat free since last June except for nuts,seeds and avocados. Recently I introduced Olive Oil. Perhaps my system is rebelling.
April 12, 2018 11:16PM
Catherine,

I'm a vegetarian and use whole milk for my Kefir. I purchased seeds.from a local Organic producer. I've suffered from gut problems for a long as I can remember. Had fundoplication procedure many years ago which was a waste of time and effort.
I have other chronic conditions which make life difficult smiling smiley HR around 165-190+ when in AF, and episodes 4-5 times a month, sometimes more.
I'm an avid researcher and this forum has been a life saver over the years. Some very succinct and insightful advice to be had.
April 13, 2018 03:47PM
Catherine - on the 'floating' issue... this is an indication of mal-digestion and malabsorption. There is a test by Genova Diagnostics - Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis to rule out conditions such as leaky gut syndrome or intenstinal permeability, SIBO, parasites, inflammation and a long list of other potentials that are important to intestinal health and what might be an underlying cause or interference.

The Kimchi is good as it does provide natural probiotics and certainly so is your Kefir, but you really should have the comprehensive test.

Read more here: [www.gdx.net]

Jackie
April 14, 2018 02:47PM
Thanks, Jackie, I bookmarked the site. The Kimchi has helped. Things are pretty much back to normal.
rmal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login