Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rat posion

Posted by Elizabeth 
Rat posion
April 06, 2018 09:23PM
Brodifacoum or do we call it Coumadin?

CHICAGO — The patients have arrived at emergency rooms across Illinois with mysterious, unnerving symptoms. Some were vomiting blood or bleeding from their gums and noses. Others had arms and legs that were mottled purple, splotched with unexplained bruises. Many were young and previously healthy, panicked and confused about what was happening to them.

Health officials say the patients are believed to have inhaled synthetic marijuana, otherwise known as Spice or K2, laced with a pesticide called brodifacoum that is used as rat poison and causes severe bleeding. The outbreak has sickened 95 people in Illinois, Wisconsin and Indiana; two of them have died.
Re: Rat posion
April 06, 2018 09:28PM
Certainly, rat poison has used warfarin, in toxic quantities. for a long time. The rats bleed out. Hence the reason why humans taking it have to undergo frequent INR (clotting time) testing with the objective to keep the INR level between 2 & 3. If INR is too low, then no therapeutic effect. If too high, then a very increased risk of bleeding.

Just because it can be used as a poison in large quantities, doesn't mean it doesn't have benefit when used appropriately.
April 06, 2018 10:07PM
Elizabeth
Brodifacoum or do we call it Coumadin?

We don't call it coumadin because if you called it that you would be mistaken. [en.wikipedia.org]

synthetic marijuana

It's not that either. There is no such thing as synthetic marijuana. It's just toxic crap mixed up in a bathtub by criminals and it should come as no surprise that it kills people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2018 10:09PM by Carey.
April 09, 2018 09:35AM
Seriously, both my husband and I have been on Warfarin for the past three years wirh absolutely no issues. We know what the medication requires; that is, stay consistent with your diet. If you are fond of salads (vit. K) have it a few times a week, versus once a month.

We go to our local hospital to have our INR checked every 6 weeks. Sometime, the numbers either climb high or dip down depending on any new supplements added to your arsenal. For example, Taurine raises your numbers up and made my reading go from 2.6 to 3.2. The6 simply adjusted the dosage, had you come in week later to make sure numbers were ok. And they were.

During a hospital stay, my husband’s roommate had internal bleeding being on Plavix and they could not locate the source. He was scheduled for exploratory surgery the next morning.

Some of these newer blood thinners (Eloquis) have no antidotes. Warfarin does. My nurse, when asked about Warfarin’s safety, said she has 90 year old patients who have been on the medication for over 30 years.

Of course, if we had our druthers, we wouldn’t want to be on blood thinners, period.
April 09, 2018 09:57AM
Can’t remember where, but I once read that most people on Warfarin are outside the desired INR range a lot (most?) of the time.

I took it for 18 months when I was in persistent AF and insisted on weekly, rather than monthly, blood tests. I adjusted my own dosage and was better at keeping in range than when the nurse did the dosage.

Gill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2018 03:25PM by Gill.
May 05, 2018 03:24PM
Actually, some formulas for Chinese medicine use poisons but in small quantities. The ancient king Mithridates felt that there were those who were trying to poison him. So, he made himself immune to poisons by taking small amounts daily until he built it up in his system. I'm stuck with rat poison as well. I figure if someone is going to try to poison me they'll have quite a task set before them. Anyway, there are other methods available to get us off of this rat poison. Look at the Watchman Device or tying off the left atrial appendage. These are the newest techniques.
May 12, 2018 03:35PM
Alndr01

How did you happen to come across King Mithridates, I looked him up, he also developed a universal antidote that could conter any type of poison. Too bad we don't know what it was.

Liz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login