Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Due Diligence

Posted by BeachBill 
Due Diligence
April 04, 2018 05:57PM
I'm scheduled for ablation surgery the end of the month. I have had Afib for several years and it has progressively gotten worse. When I was being scheduled for surgery, neither my cardiologist or EP seem interested in doing any due diligence. I ask my cardiologist about it and he agreed it would be a good idea. So, next week I'm having the full blown stress test. I am curious if others who have had ablation surgery were given any test ahead of time to see if they may have any other heart problem besides afib. I just don't like surprises and would not like to wake up from ablation surgery and be told that other conditions were found and fixed or would they would have to be fixed at a later date.
Re: Due Diligence
April 04, 2018 09:15PM
Yes, stress test with echocardiogram and cardiac MRI with delayed enhancement. The stress test and echocardiogram would be minimal due diligence, IMO. It's good that you pushed for it and it shouldn't have been necessary to push.
April 05, 2018 03:44PM
I had cardiac echo followed later by nuclear stress test and then cardiac mri right before Afib ablation next week. The others were after my flutter ablation. All turned out perfect.
April 09, 2018 05:04PM
The only testing I had before my first and only failed ablation was Holter monitor and EKG. I feel that had an echo or mri been done it may have alerted my EP that I had conjoined pulmonary veins and that cryoablation may not be the best choice for ablation. I saw my EP for the first time and had a cardiac cryoablation 5 weeks later. I had several complications following my ablation, along with continued episodes of AF and flutter. Because of my experience I would recommend to proceed slowly and with caution having all questions answered along with necessary tests, and have the best most experienced Doctor do your ablation.
April 13, 2018 02:55PM
Thanks for all the input. I had a nuclear stress test and passed it with flying colors. It makes me feel better about the upcoming ablation.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login