Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A-Fib and OTC "stuff" for aches, pains, colds & coughs

Posted by SueChef 
A-Fib and OTC "stuff" for aches, pains, colds & coughs
April 02, 2018 07:03PM
Hi, everyone!

I was told by my MD/DO that since I am taking Pradaxa, I should not be taking NSAIDS or different OTC ("over the counter") stuff.

I emailed my EP for clarification since sometimes I get a flare-up with my osteoarthritis, and received the following response:
"Usually Tylenol is safest. If that doesn't work, you can take Ibuprofen for a short time, I'd say just a few days for temporary relief, would be okay."
Aside: The ibuprofen I have is 800 mg per tablet.

Since I question a lot for clarification and knowledge anyway, and realizing that the medical profession's knowledge base may be limited in terms of my specifics (remember the cardiologist who wanted to give me digoxin?), what say you about OTC stuff?

Also, every once in a while, before being diagnosed with a-fib, I'd catch a cold. I usually will use a saline sinus rinse a few times a day, and dose myself with Zi-cam, Cold-Eeze and zinc gluconate lozenges, and sometimes all of those help with the severity and length of things, but other times, it's as if I did nothing to the mean nasty mutated rhinovirus setting up house in my head. confused smiley

Thanks for any input!
Sue
Re: A-Fib and OTC "stuff" for aches, pains, colds & coughs
April 02, 2018 09:36PM
I would avoid NSAIDs whenever possible and limit them to short-term use when absolutely needed, just as your EP recommended. They have a well known risk of bleeds with prolonged use even without anticoagulants.

I would avoid pseudoephedrine entirely until your afib is completely controlled by ablation (found in many cold/flu/allergy meds).

Most other OTC meds are probably harmless but there are a lot of OTC meds out there so it's hard to generalize. Basically, before taking anything I would read the label and look up the active ingredients on drugs.com and check for side effects involving the heart. I would avoid anything that has tachycardia or arrhythmias listed as potential side effects.
Re: A-Fib and OTC "stuff" for aches, pains, colds & coughs
April 03, 2018 03:56AM
Thanks, Carey, for the info! I did know some of the information you noted, but not all. I appreciate your helpful response!
Sue
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login