Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

C-ReactiveProtein results -- trying not to flip out at the high number!

Posted by SueChef 
C-ReactiveProtein results -- trying not to flip out at the high number!
March 18, 2018 03:54PM
Hello!

My recent C-Reactive Protein test results came back today from Kaiser.
Kaiser does NOT indicate the standard range they use for this test.
My CRP, WIDE RANGE, Ser/Plas value was 17.4 mg/L eye popping smiley

From what I've read here under the Resources tag, this is way too high and is a risk marker for stroke and heart attacks, etc.

If you recall, I'm 67 years old, a Type 2 diabetic--I've been a diabetic for 12+ years, and have not taken any diabetic meds at all, ever, for blood glucose control--it's been controlled by diet. I am overweight and have lost 40 lbs since last August, and am continuing to diet because I'm still fluffy. I take extra fiber on a daily basis, and immune system supplements Maitake D-fraction, manuka honey, and sambucol black elderberry syrup.

I get an A1C test every 3 months, and my most recent A1C result was 5.6, with average daily blood glucose of 110 mg/dL. My other lab work for LDL/HDL, thyroid, creatinine, etc etc etc are all very nicely within normal values.

Recently, I've started taking Doctor's Best high absorption 100% chelated TRAACS Magnesium.

My meds are Pradaxa (150 mg) 2x/day, Metoprolol (25 mg) extended release 1x/day, and lisinopril (10 mg) and simvastatin (40 mg).

Is it possible that Kaiser labs use different values unto themselves?

Am I going to keel over??

Thanks for any help and info. Please also send positive vibes!
Sue
Re: C-ReactiveProtein results -- trying not to flip out at the high number!
March 18, 2018 06:34PM
I believe CRP ranges are standardized. Have you had a recent illness or injury? Something like the flu perhaps? Any type of infection or trauma can shoot your CRP levels very high.
March 18, 2018 07:17PM
Hi, Carey,

Thanks for replying to my post.

Nope, no recent illnesses or injuries. No flu (knock wood), no infection, no trauma.

However, after I posted, I did a Google search with *Kaiser* in the search box along with *CRP* and got this (not sure how to imbed a screen shot so I'm typing out the info):

The normal values listed here, called a reference range, are just a guide. These ranges vary from lab to lab, and your lab may have a different range for what's normal. Your lab report should contain the range your lab uses. Also, your doctor will evaluate your results based on your health and other factors. This means that a value that falls outside the normal values listed here may still be normal for you or your lab.
C-reactive protein (CRP)
Normal: Less than 1.0 milligram per deciliter (mg/dL) or less than 10 milligrams per liter (mg/L)
Any condition that results in sudden or severe infmallation may increase your CRP levels. Some medications may decrease your CRP levels. Many conditions can change CRP levels. Your doctor will talk with you about any abnormal results that may be related to your symptoms and past health.

I feel a tiny bit better with this info but am still concerned. Perhaps my being overweight would most likely be a factor in this result ? Or else I'm going to keel over!
Sue

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2018 07:21PM by SueChef.
March 18, 2018 10:33PM
Sue, as Carey notes, CRP is a generalized measure of inflammation. Can be caused by many things in the body. I agree with Carey that ranges are standardized. If they run it again, ask for high sensitivity CRP.

What you'd like your Kaiser guys help you do is sort out what might be causing this, perhaps by running other measures of inflammation.

George
March 19, 2018 08:36AM
Sue - There is a difference between the CRP test and the more specific cardiovascular risk assessment is the HS-CRP...High Sensitivity CRP The HS-CRP is the test you should have been given.... and if out of range, then it's repeated periodically while you take steps to reduce the inflammation.

Jackie

Clinical Information

C-reactive protein (CRP) is a biomarker of inflammation. Plasma CRP concentrations increase rapidly and dramatically (100-fold or more) in response to tissue injury or inflammation. High-sensitivity CRP (hs-CRP) is more precise than standard CRP when measuring baseline (ie, normal) concentrations and enables a measure of chronic inflammation.

Atherosclerosis is an inflammatory disease and hs-CRP has been endorsed by multiple guidelines as a biomarker of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease risk.(1-3)

A large prospective clinical trial demonstrated significantly less cardiovascular risk for patients with hs-CRP less than 2.0 mg/L.(1) More aggressive treatment strategies may be warranted in patients with hs-CRP of 2.0 mg/L or higher.
[www.mayomedicallaboratories.com]
March 19, 2018 05:01PM
Hi, George and Jackie,

Thanks for your input--and the link! I really appreciate this site and all the helpful responses and information I receive, not only from replies to my own posts, but from reading other posts & replies as well.

This morning, I sent an email to my "new EP" regarding my results, and requesting the hs-CRP test to either rule out or to confirm a diagnosis, so I can be proactive for the next steps in addressing any issues related to this.

Sue
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login