Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New to Afib

Posted by Adrian G 
New to Afib
February 20, 2018 11:47AM
Good Morning or Afternoon for some!

I am new to the Atrial Fib community.
I got diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation after a horrible visit to the ER with an episode lasting 18 hours and came out of on my own because Metropolol and Flec did not work. I am 22 years old and this is my 3rd episode but first diagnosed. I take daily vitamins as well as Zinc, Magnesium, D3 and Omega 3. I work out quite often but do not take supplements since the military requires it. At the time of the 18 hour episode I have not had a sip of alcohol in months nor have I smoked in months. Doctors wrote it off as stress and will not perform an Ablation due to my age and the size of my heart. The episode damaged my Atrial valve and I have been having this intense heart soreness for about 2 months now. Got a second Echo done but did not show any abnormalities. Is this normal? It almost feels like chest soreness after an intense chest workout at the gym but it feels like its behind my breastplate. Also looking for tips on how to upkeep my heart more than I already am... have been taking all my vitamins for a year and a half now just to promote my health but it seems its not working. Doctors performed almost every test they could think of before writing it off as stress related but I don't think this is the case. Any insight?

V/R
Adrian
Re: New to Afib
February 20, 2018 05:38PM
Sorry to hear this, Adrian. You're very young for afib.

Explain more about this valve problem. There's no such thing as the atrial valve. Did you mean the aortic valve, perhaps? I think you misunderstood something because afib doesn't cause valve damage. It can't do that. However, valve problems do cause afib. Is it possible what they said is you have congenital aortic valve problems and that led to the afib? I don't get how you can have a valve issue and yet have them tell you it was just stress. There's something missing here.
February 20, 2018 06:42PM
Adrian - Can you elaborate on your comments?

Doctors wrote it off as stress and will not perform an Ablation due to my age and the size of my heart. The episode damaged my Atrial valve and I have been having this intense heart soreness for about 2 months now.

Did they go into detail on the remedy for the valve damage? Are they are saying it's okay to do intense exercise with valve damage? What, specifically, about the size of your heart???

Here's the link to a previous post on Workout Impact - FYI.
[www.afibbers.org]
If your intense chest workout routine involves heavy weights, take note of the comment about valve damage.

Do you have any other options for for a cardiology consult?

Jackie
February 21, 2018 09:34PM
Ruling out ablation because of 22 years of age is incorrect and, frankly, asinine. Heart size is an important metric and, as mentioned previously, something that may help us to help you if you’re willing to share.
February 22, 2018 10:40AM
For a quick refresher, the heart's valves are as follows (in the direction of blood flow):

Tricuspid (right atrium to right ventricle)
Pulmonary (right ventricle to lungs)
Mitral (left atrium to left ventricle)
Aortic (left ventricle to body)

If you have the Kardia App, there's always a little "cheat sheet" in the Help section.

Also, reading "mild mitral valve regurgitation" on an echo report is REALLY, REALLY common and usually nothing to worry about unless your cardiologist brings it up as an issue. That valve backflows a bit on most all of us because the LV is the strongest chamber.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2018 01:52PM by wolfpack.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login