Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can Salbutamol cause worse A/F?

Posted by NickC 
Can Salbutamol cause worse A/F?
February 18, 2018 09:19AM
Anyone know if Salbutamol via nebuliser can cause atrial fibrilation?

It certainly seems to have been the cause of "behavioural disturbances" but I don't know if the severe (life threatening) A/F which was exterienced one day later was related to Salbutamol in any way.
Re: Can Salbutamol cause worse A/F?
February 18, 2018 11:12AM
That's known as albuterol in the US, and yes, it can cause tachycardia and palpitations so it could possibly trigger afib.

What do you mean by life threatening A/F? Afib isn't normally life threatening.
February 18, 2018 11:35AM
Carey
That's known as albuterol in the US, and yes, it can cause tachycardia and palpitations so it could possibly trigger afib.

What do you mean by life threatening A/F? Afib isn't normally life threatening.

Don't know exact details but from what I understand the heart rate was fluctuating between very slow and being all over the place. All I know is they made the call to get in to visit him quick because they obviously didn't think he would survive that episode.
February 19, 2018 07:23AM
"what I understand the heart rate was fluctuating between very slow and being all over the place. All I know is they made the call to get in to visit him quick because they obviously didn't think he would survive that episode. "

That is just what mine does when in afib. If that is a killer why am i alive to post to you?

PeggyM
February 19, 2018 09:34AM
Maybe because you don't know the details and are making the wrong analogy?

Perhaps this is some variant of tachycardia-bradycardia syndrome with concurrent afib, where afib is the tachycardia phase, or afib is terminating with severe bradycardia. These are potentially life threatening.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2018 09:50AM by safib.
February 19, 2018 01:40PM
If AF is terminating with severe bradycardia then the person would need a pacemaker so that the heartrate wouldn't drop too low.

L
February 19, 2018 02:37PM
Elizabeth
If AF is terminating with severe bradycardia then the person would need a pacemaker so that the heartrate wouldn't drop too low.

L
That is currently the plan but need to clear a hospital aquired infection first. My concern is that there may be other options to investigate before fitting a pacemaker. Once a pacemaker is fitted that person is consigned to taking Warfarin (or some other anti-coag) for the rest of their life. Some people just don't get on well with any anti-coagulation medication.

Today he is off Warfarin, his INR is 1.7 and he looks better than I have seen him for a long time. Each host body is different, I think we just have to accept that his does not like any form of anti-coagulation interference.
February 19, 2018 06:38PM
An alternative to a pacemaker doesn't sound likely from what you've told us. Has he tried other anticoagulants? Although some people don't tolerate warfarin well, that doesn't usually carry over to the other anticoagulants.
February 19, 2018 08:20PM
Nick says:

That is currently the plan but need to clear a hospital aquired infection first. My concern is that there may be other options to investigate before fitting a pacemaker. Once a pacemaker is fitted that person is consigned to taking Warfarin (or some other anti-coag) for the rest of their life. Some people just don't get on well with any anti-coagulation medication"

I don't understand your statement about having a pacemaker means that one then has to take a anti-coagulation med. I had a pacemaker inserted about 20 years ago and never had to take a blood thinner because of it. Shannon has a pacemaker and does not take a anti-coagulant. Are you talking about a pacer that includes cutting off the AV node which makes the person dependent on it, I wouldn't do that.

Liz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login