Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wonder how good they are?

Posted by Joe 
Joe
Wonder how good they are?
February 12, 2018 03:16PM
Reading stories on this forum makes me think they are wrong?
[www.biosciencetechnology.com]
Re: Wonder how good they are?
February 12, 2018 09:39PM
What makes you think they're wrong?
Joe
February 13, 2018 03:17PM
Based an reports from people on this forum Dr Natale and other experienced EPs have greater success rates. If they pre-selected by this new method the 'difficult' patients would probably missed out on a ablation?
Maybe i misunderstood the video?
February 13, 2018 03:56PM
Even dr. Natalie has to do more than one ablation on his patients, perhaps they are the more difficult ones. We always read about the ablations that have been successful, we don't hear about any ablations that have ended badly, either in death or the person is worse off. I do recall a man that was a doctor and had an ablation at the University of. Michigan, Ann Arbor that died after his ablation, so I am sure it happens, just wonder how frequently.

Liz
February 14, 2018 12:05AM
Joe
Based an reports from people on this forum Dr Natale and other experienced EPs have greater success rates. If they pre-selected by this new method the 'difficult' patients would probably missed out on a ablation?
Maybe i misunderstood the video?

Nah, you didn't misunderstood the video, but I doubt the technology will be used to deny ablations. More likely it will be used to determine whether you're a complex case that needs someone like Natale or you're straightforward and your local EP can handle it. Looks like possibly very useful tech.
February 14, 2018 12:06AM
Elizabeth
Even dr. Natalie has to do more than one ablation on his patients, perhaps they are the more difficult ones. We always read about the ablations that have been successful, we don't hear about any ablations that have ended badly, either in death or the person is worse off. I do recall a man that was a doctor and had an ablation at the University of. Michigan, Ann Arbor that died after his ablation, so I am sure it happens, just wonder how frequently.

The numbers are readily available. Nobody's hiding them.
February 14, 2018 01:41PM
Elizabeth, wish I didn't read your comment so close to my ablation.smiling smiley
February 14, 2018 03:20PM
Oh, I am so sorry, I know of many that have undergone ablations and are fine. The person that was at U of M happened a number of years ago. There are many famous people that have undergone ablations and are good, Tony Blair when he was prime minister of England. I was responding to that article about not providing ablations to some because they didn't feel they would be successful. So, I just wondered how many were worse off, and it no doubt is a very small number.

Liz
February 14, 2018 03:43PM
Name a medical procedure and people have died from them. Tonsils, root canals, you name it. If you're interested in discussing complication rates for ablations, I think it would be helpful to find and post factual information rather than just mentioning a single case you heard about and speculating on how many more there are. That's nothing but fear mongering. As I said, the numbers are available if you're interested in facts.
February 14, 2018 04:44PM
Carey:

If I was to undergo a medical procedure I would want to know everything, who is doing it and what is the success rates, what is wrong with that. A long time ago my stepson had a very bad headache, went to the hospital, they sent him to U. of M, he was given an antibody and was a little better the doctor said he had a tumor and operated. The "tumor" turned out to be a cyst, it broke, sepsis overtook his body, Mike died at 26 a great boy. Now that should not have happened, I can relate another death in my family because of stupidity of a doctor.

Liz
February 14, 2018 09:12PM
There's nothing wrong with seeking information, but posting hearsay and anecdotes about terrible outcomes with no factual information helps no one and is actually harmful to some people. You haven't provided any factual information but you've provided scary anecdotes. I'm just suggesting that if you want to provide information then by all means do so, but don't just toss out scary cases you heard about. That helps no one and does actual harm.
February 14, 2018 09:49PM
I posted nothing that is heresay---I live in Michigan and my EP is a member of U of M. I spoke with him about the tragedy, he said it was a Tamponade, also what happened in my family was very real and factual.

L

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2018 09:56PM by Elizabeth.
February 15, 2018 09:06AM
Liz - how long ago was that tamponade case at U of M? You may recall one of our members having tamponade 12 years ago and Pete Reed's tamponade story from about 15 years ago. And the Pam Walter's story from 2002.

Thankfully, time, education and more advanced training has undoubtedly helped avoid such tragedies.

But the most prudent advice we can all give to anyone considering ablation is to go to a highly experienced EP who has done many thousands of ablations to help insure not only the safety of the patient but also that the procedure actually does accomplish the goal which is to be AF free without meds.

Jackie
February 15, 2018 01:52PM
I'm sure glad I'm not someone newly diagnosed with afib who's terrified, considering ablation but unsure what to do, and who happens across this thread.
February 15, 2018 02:08PM
Jackie:

Yes, it was a long time ago, in fact, someone had posted it on this site and I asked my EP about it, he asked me how I knew. I also recall about Pam W. I agree things are much better today and there are doctors that are doing great, Dr. Natalie especially.

Liz
February 15, 2018 02:13PM
Carey:

Carey said "Name a medical procedure and people have died from them. Tonsils, root canals, you name it" Now that Is scary, I may never go for a root canal again.

Liz
February 15, 2018 09:23PM
Could you possibly be a little more understanding of new people here looking for information and reassurance and a little less concerned with engaging in tit-for-tats with me?
February 16, 2018 03:00PM
Throughout the history of this site there are stories of ablations which have gone wrong due to inexperienced doctors doing them, Shannon himself has a story about his sister which is tragic. No one has said that they shouldn't be told. We would be remiss if all the facts are not given, in the end the final outcome is find the best doctor who has done many, many ablations, Dr. Natalie is head and shoulders in that category and there are many stories on here to support that which should give New Yorker peace of mind about her upcoming ablation.

L

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2018 03:12PM by Elizabeth.
February 16, 2018 08:29PM
Anecdotal negative outcomes and misleading statements such as "Even dr. Natalie [sic] has to do more than one ablation on his patients" aren't helpful. What happened to one patient out of thousands is largely irrelevant and all it does is stoke fear. Try a little empathy for new patients who are terrified and know nothing about afib. Yes, bad outcomes happen in all medical procedures and I'm all in favor of informing people about them, but anecdotes aren't the way to do that because they provide no context. If you're determined to tell people terrible things might happen to them, for chrissakes provide the actual stats so people can understand the actual risk rather than just giving them a horror story.
Sam
February 17, 2018 11:10AM
Time to stop, Carey
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login