Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New to site

Posted by dgolden 
New to site
February 09, 2018 07:45PM
Hello Everyon
I am new here.
My Afib started end of August 2017. I'm 59 1/2 years old, male. I went to dr. In September. He sent me to a cardiologist. They scheduled a cardioversion. First one they couldn't do because they saw something. Put me on xarelto in October. Had a successful cardioversion later that month. It lasted 11 days. Then had another one. It lasted 9 days. I was put on sotalol 120mg twice a day. Afib came and went. I have tried everything I know to shake it. Diet. Exercise, no pop, no alcohol. Eating healthy. Almost no caffeine. Went in for a 2nd opinion. 2nd Electrophysiologist. They want to do an ablation on me. That scares the heck out of me. I have tried doing the Ben Fuchs Youngevity supplements not sure that's working though. I have seen a chiropractor hoping that realignment would help. It made me feel better but still in Afib. Have any of you had any success with supplements? Just looking for a glimmer of hope. This beast is starting to consume me. I have been healthy most of my life. Up until last fall I worked 80+ hours a week. Looking for that magical cure...
Joe
Re: New to site
February 10, 2018 12:29AM
Don't know if there is a magical cure.
Since your CV did work for a few days i'd go to a holistic medico to have tests done for imbalances of nutrients/minerals.
Having worked 80hrs/week probably means that you are highly strung - do something about that if it is the case; also moderate physical exercise?

I was in permanent afib for about 4 months. First CV lasted 1 hr. While i had to wait a few weeks for the next one i saw an alternative and she gave me Hawthorn-berries extract and told me to drink hawthorn-berries tea; make sure not to eat bad fats and eat 6 Walnuts a day. The next CV has lasted thus far >2years. Stopped meds (which i took at a much reduced recommended dose - not recommended to others out there) about 3 months ago.
Good luck, be patient and use the resources provided on this fantastic site.
February 10, 2018 01:08AM
Your best chance at being Afib free is an ablation at a high volume medical center. The longer you wait the worse afib usually gets. I had an ablation for atrial flutter and six months later got my first Afib episode. I did not hesitate to schedule another ablation for March. They arent that scary and have an excellent safety rate. You are under anesthesia and spend one night in the hospital. Good luck whatever you decide!
February 10, 2018 07:39AM
Thanks Joe!
Where did you find a holistic medico?
February 10, 2018 07:41AM
Thanks! Cindy
Good to know! I do not personally know anyone who has gone through this procedure. I'm glad yours worked out for you!
February 10, 2018 09:42AM
Hello Dave and welcome.

At this website, you'll find a large collection of testimonials from many who have had ablations and also many who have managed to avoid ablation by determining the underlying cause of the arrhythmia and making adjustments that worked. For some, no matter how diligent the effort to change, improve, eliminate and such, Afib still persists and ablation with a top-tier EP typically offers freedom from Afib.

There are a couple of tips that may help you as you're looking into solutions. Avoid alcohol completely. Even small amounts of caffeine can be a trigger in some. Some find that organic coffee (even with the caffeine) does not cause a problem so must be the pesticide residues in non-organic coffee. Others are very dehydrated and adding regular, pure, non-municipal tap water gives relief.

Most afibbers are deficient in the mineral/electrolyte magnesium. Magnesium's important function in heart cells can be blocked or overpowered by calcium, so diets high in calcium - ie dairy or supplements should be eliminated...and supplementing with magnesium can help - with time. This is not an 'aspirin' effect - like take some magnesium and the AF stops. It takes time to replete magnesium throughout the body.

Other afibbers are prone to gut issues which serve as triggers for Afib. Many afibbers are sensitive to food additives in processed and prepared foods such as MSG, artificial sweeteners, high sodium levels, and pesticide residues from foods that are inorganic. The list is lengthy. Everyone is unique. Sorting it out can take time and yet, often, some who are sensitive to gluten, as one example, may find quick relief when that's eliminated.

The bottom line is, though, for overall health and longevity, it pays to go through the evaluation process where you scrutinize what we call 'lifestyle risk factors' and take steps to manage those appropriately. Then, if you do require an ablation, you'll be in the best possible place for maintaining that successfully.

I've often said that Afib is a 'canary in the coal mine' that something in our body is amiss and that it's wise to pay attention so the problems don't become larger than "just" Afib. My random list just highlights a few of the many potential influences that can cause 'stealth' health issues behind the scenes that can contribute to setting the stage for arrhythmia. We are all here to help you sort it out.

If you are taking a multi-vitamin supplement or compound, check the label to see if it contains calcium and stop taking that immediately. Mentally, evaluate your lifestyle, environment, habits and such that existed at the time of your first AF event as that may be a very significant hint to reversing without need of ablation.

We are all here to offer assistance.

Best to you,
Jackie
February 10, 2018 09:50AM
No need to be scared as long as you go to a real expert. Percentage success rates vary from the 30s to the 90s depending entirely on the skill and experience of the person doing the ablation. Information is available on this site about who the best people are, depending where you live.

Afib was ruining my life, couldn’t do any of the things I loved. So I went to Bordeaux in France in January 2003 because no real experts were available in UK at that time. I have been in normal rhythm now for over 15 years, eat and drink whatever I like, take no medication. Best thing I ever did.

Gill
Joe
February 10, 2018 05:13PM
dgolden
Thanks Joe!
Where did you find a holistic medico?

Melbourne, Australia
February 11, 2018 08:39AM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and support! I live in Minnesota and have access to the Mayo Clinic know as leaders in the medical field throughout the World. I have met with them once in January. I will be contacting them again.
February 11, 2018 10:31PM
Dgolden,
You can drive yourself crazy trying to figure out triggers etc. try to eat healthy, stop caffeine but above all try to minimize stress in all forms. 80 hour weeks catches up to most. Ablations are not bad, I understand they are scary, I've had several. The procedure is not physically bad it's the mental side because someone's going in your heart and that scares the you know what out of most everyone.
February 12, 2018 06:16AM
Thanks! Tsco
Every bit of encouragement helps.
Dave
February 16, 2018 06:59AM
Dgolden,

I took a similar approach, tried diet, supplements, yoga, acupuncture, tracked my "triggers" and if nothing else it made me feel like I was doing something and bought me time to do research. All that and Rythmol kept me in NSR for two years while I looked for the EP to do the ablation that I thought might be coming. Please find a very experienced EP (ask on this board), unfortunately this is not as easy as going to a nationally known medical center or EP with Ivy League credentials - do a search on the forum for a post from Carey entitled "How you can have multiple ablations and still be in afib" for more on this subject. As tsco said re the ablation, my procedure was pretty easy, but getting used to the idea took a while! FWIW I'm almost a year out at this point, NSR, no drugs.

Keep asking questions - all the best,

C
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login