Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Medtronic Micra pacing and the future

Posted by tsco 
Medtronic Micra pacing and the future
January 31, 2018 09:05PM
I'll never forget ablation # 3 or 4 my doc walked in and said " you may be a candidate for a pacemaker". Back then I had a lot of tachy on the right side and knew he had scared himself burning maybe too close to the sinus. Well I recovered from that one back 15 years or so ago. Fast forward to 2018 an additional 3 ablations later with tachy that morphed into afib (paroxysmal). Obviously we must all realize in difficult cases (not sure of the definition) like mine we do run risks with multiple ablations. My doc says no way he caused "other" problems I have experienced like lbbb or Junctional rhythms and it's possible the ablations had nothing to do with any of it, but my mind always goes back to that comment long ago. I'm on day 6 of a14 day monitor right now still experiencing intermittent slow heart rate (the irony). Only happens occassionally when I exert. It's better since I stopped my 50 mg flec and 12.5 mg metoprolol, but still happens. So I have no answers yet but I am preparing myself in case I do need a pacer. Wondering if anyone has any informative data on the new Micra. Inserted into the heart. I really like the concept except I am a bit paranoid. Questions I'll ask!!!!
1 what happens when the battery is dead? I think they leave in...can they put another in there?
2 what if an anchor tang breaks off?
3 what if it becomes dislodged in the atrium?

It's a neat alternative what's your thoughts is it too early to consider only in the US for 2 years

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2018 09:02AM by tsco.
Re: Medtronic Micra pacing and the future
February 01, 2018 12:17AM
Sounds pretty cool and has some huge benefits over regular pacemakers. It's certainly attractive from a number of perspectives but it is fairly new. A quick search doesn't find much in the way of independent studies but that's not surprising with it being so new. The questions you ask are good ones. Make them answer them to your satisfaction before you make a decision.
Re: Medtronic Micra pacing and the future
February 01, 2018 09:01AM
Thanks Carey, Yes the concept is pretty awesome just seems scary putting something where it isn't easily retrievable!!
Tim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login