Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

High Altitude

Posted by Ghost 
High Altitude
January 16, 2018 08:01AM
Going skiing in Breckenridge in March. Was curious how others who had afib may have handled high altitude, and if high altitude is even a big deal.
Ken
Re: High Altitude
January 16, 2018 08:38AM
I ski one week a year in Colorado or Utah, and for the 11 years I had afib, I never had it while skiing.
January 16, 2018 08:42AM
Thanks, Ken! I'm in pretty good shape, and had lone afib, so I'm hopeful it won't interrupt the fun.
January 16, 2018 08:49PM
Ghost,

Years ago there was some talk about altitude here. Some were impacted going on airlines, some in the mountains. I live in CO at 5,600' and play at 13,000' routinely, also sleeping at up to 10,500'.. I've never had an issue. Probably one of those things that is very individual.

My triggers are typically pushing way too hard. For example, I routinely ski non-stop (for eating, resting or talking on runs), hard, off piste on the steeps from lift open to close without any issue. On one powder day about two years ago, decided to add hiking to each lap for extra vertical. It was a material amount of hiking and that was too much like hard endurance activity for my system. Hence I had a vagal triggered afib episode that evening. I have a subjective impression of how much is too much and I try not to cross that line.

George
January 17, 2018 07:50AM
Good to know, George. Sounds like the pushing too hard could also be a result of a depletion of stuff like potassium and other electrolytes, or dehydration as well.

I'm used to living at sea level here in Florida. I don't plan to go all out the moment I get off the plane, will give myself a day before hitting the slopes. But I was just curious if there was a significant risk I needed to pay attention to apart from just being smart about it. It does not appear that there is.
January 18, 2018 09:44PM
Dehydration is a known risk for altitude sickness. I learned this the hard way on one of the times I ran the Pikes Peak Ascent Race (13.3 miles, start 6,300' finish>14,100'.). On the second or third time I did this (out of 10), I did not hydrate enough and got altitude sickness (this is pre-afib, but activities like this probably led to my ultimately getting afib). Because I'm more stubborn than smart, I pushed on to the top instead of turning around (2 miles up vs. 11 miles down). I added an hour to my time. Ever after I made sure I was well hydrated, using urine color as a guide (pale yellow). Never had that issue again. Subsequent to switching to a keto diet in 2009, I never had that issue again (I quit running those races in 2006 as I figured they were not good for my afib). But never had altitude sickness in any case. Not being hydrated enough is a very common issue for those coming to altitude from sea level.

If your afib isn't hypersensitive and you pay attention to yourself, you likely won't have a problem. Keeping up the electrolytes is also a good plan.

I can overdo it and cause afib even if I'm pouring huge quantities of mag & K+ into my system (which I do anyway as a matter of course).

In 2012, was doing a couloir snow/ice climb to around 13,500' (crampons, ice axe, pack & etc - very steep). Probably not a smart move for me as it strongly resembles an all day max endurance activity. Even though my mag intake can range up to 5.5 g/day, I added much more and avoided an episode. Doing this on a regular basis would be a poor decision for me, giving my afib tendencies.
January 19, 2018 09:56AM
Excellent background. I don't anticipate a workout like that. Some downhill skiing with my son and some friends, none of which are good skiers, so I won't be pushing myself like I did back when I was in my 20s and an instructor. I'll just be skiing casually. But I'll be very conscious of staying hydrated and perhaps up my Magnesium a bit. Right now I take 500mg a day, but I think I'll do 1000 when I'm there. Also will not drink any alcohol, even though that's still a hard nut to swallow for me.

Thanks again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2018 09:57AM by Ghost.
January 25, 2018 09:52AM
Ghost,

I had an afib attack in CO while hiking with my family and we had to drive across the continental divide to the ER in Boulder. and it was pretty miserable for all of us. I've played ice hockey in afib at sea level, but at altitude it kicked my butt. So my advice would be to be sure you have your meds and you know where you can get cardioverted if need be.

Have fun!

C
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login