Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Whole Foods, Plant Based Diet

Posted by Maryann 
Whole Foods, Plant Based Diet
December 06, 2017 07:23PM
Has anyone followed this type of diet for their A fib?

It seems like most on here prefer The Paleo way of eating.

I research all of the information on nutrition. Joel Fuhrman, Dr. Davis, Dr. Perlmutter, Dr. Greger, etc.

I have been reading this board for along time and really like all of the information you all have. It is very helpful.

Thank you for any information you can give me.

Maryann
Re: Whole Foods, Plant Based Diet
December 06, 2017 11:34PM
Was eating that way for ~14 years when I got afib. After testing, realized I was getting insulin resistant after I detrained somewhat because of the afib. After several years I switched to a keto diet. My diet now is still keto but mostly plant based, but not 100%. My macros now are 75% fat, with 15% protein and 10% carbs, ish. My A1C is now 4.6% and my wife's is <4.2% My fasting insulin is now 2 and hers is 3.
December 07, 2017 02:31PM
George:

I am not on the regime that you are on, although I do eat a lot of vegetables, good protein, I do eat beans some bread. I looked up my last blood draw and my A1C is 5.3 not as low as you or your wife but still not bad as I do not eat like you. Also, my blood draws are usually in the afternoon, so it is after I have eaten, that also might make a difference.

liz
December 08, 2017 09:40AM
Elizabeth
I looked up my last blood draw and my A1C is 5.3 not as low as you or your wife but still not bad as I do not eat like you. Also, my blood draws are usually in the afternoon, so it is after I have eaten, that also might make a difference.

liz

Hi Liz.

Timing of blood draw for A1c won't make a difference. The test measures the glycation of red blood cells. When these cells are exposed to glucose, it glycates them (more glucose= more glycation). As red blood cells, on average, are replaced about every 80-90 days. Hence the test measures the average blood sugar over this time. This lifespan is an assumption when A1c is correlated with average glucose. Interestingly, as average blood sugar increases, blood cells have a shorter lifespan and with very low average blood sugar, lifespan can be much longer.

Yes, 5.3% is not a bad number. I actually focus mostly on fasting insulin as well as the insulin response after eating. Dr. Kraft talked about this a lot <[www.afibbers.org]

George
December 09, 2017 08:21AM
Thank you for starting this discussion, Maryann. I am at the same place as you, struggling between WFPB diet and paleo/keto. I think they are both valid and therapeutic for different reasons. I know paleo/keto are good for cancer, seizure disorders, and blood sugar issues. I believe plants are very important nutritionally. I'm just not sure how this all relates to a-fib. I think it's important to listen to our own body. Both ways might be valid at different times in our life. It might be "both/and" instead of "either/or".
George, I don't understand your phrase, I was getting insulin resistant after I detrained somewhat because of the afib. Is detrained not exercising? How does a-fib play into insulin resistance?
Thanks!
December 09, 2017 02:32PM
libby
Thank you for starting this discussion, Maryann. I am at the same place as you, struggling between WFPB diet and paleo/keto. I think they are both valid and therapeutic for different reasons. I know paleo/keto are good for cancer, seizure disorders, and blood sugar issues. I believe plants are very important nutritionally. I'm just not sure how this all relates to a-fib. I think it's important to listen to our own body. Both ways might be valid at different times in our life. It might be "both/and" instead of "either/or".
George, I don't understand your phrase, I was getting insulin resistant after I detrained somewhat because of the afib. Is detrained not exercising? How does a-fib play into insulin resistance?
Thanks!

My path to afib was chronic endurance exercise and participating in high altitude races. By "detraining" I meant I reduced my activity level. I no longer train with long duration cardio at all. I remain very fit but with body weight strength training (a military fitness program), super slow to failure weight training and high intensity interval training (Tabatas on a a fan trainer - either bicycle or rower - 8 cycles of 20 seconds as hard as you can and 10 seconds slow). When I detrained, I gained weight and my insulin resistance (IR) increased. I know a number of high end endurance athletes who got IR or T2 diabetes from a high carb diet - exercise was not protective. This includes the author of "The Lore of Running", Tim Noakes MD, as well as my friend, Mark Cucuzzella MD, who has run the Boston Marathon 30 times in under 3 hours. The afib connection is that it caused me to reduce my training volume significantly.

George
Joe
December 09, 2017 04:04PM
8 cycles of HIIT and your type of strength training is top fitness! smiling bouncing smiley I wish i could find that sort of motivation.
December 09, 2017 05:03PM
Thanks for explaining!
December 12, 2017 07:38AM
George,

Wow! You were definitely at the front of the queue when God handed out self-discipline.... whilst I was obviously bringing up the rear!!
December 12, 2017 03:55PM
mwcf
George,

Wow! You were definitely at the front of the queue when God handed out self-discipline.... whilst I was obviously bringing up the rear!!

Funny Mike! smiling bouncing smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login