Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

recommendations for where to stay in Austin

Posted by libby 
recommendations for where to stay in Austin
November 29, 2017 08:34PM
Hi All,
Where do you recommend staying in Austin? Are there accommodations close to the hospital?
Thanks!!
Re: recommendations for where to stay in Austin
November 29, 2017 09:45PM
There's a Day's Inn right next door within easy walking distance. Not the best looking place from the outside, but Day's Inns are usually clean and affordable.

I stayed at the Hyatt Place Austin-North Central, which is about a 10-minute Lyft ride from St. David's (I won't use Uber). It was clean, nice and reasonably priced (downside: no restaurant so no room service.)

If you're feeling like more luxury, you can go downtown but expect to pay upwards of $200+ per night. There are plenty of places in between at varying price points.

When you get closer to your procedure the admin folks at St. David's will send you info on local hotels they have deals with. None of those really worked well for me so I chose my own, but there are plenty of choices.
November 30, 2017 12:48AM
Libby, as Carey noted, there are a plethora of hotels of all sorts in the broader area near St Davids. When searching Google for options punch in the search bar 'Austin Downtown, Capital, University Area' and you will find every price and quality level of hotels in relatively close proximity to St Davids which borders on the west side of the large south to north running Interstate Highway 35 (IH-35) on the far East border of the medical center, with the long street 'Red River' running right in front of St Davids that is just across the street diagonally from the huge University of Texas campus. The Texas State Capitol building is just south of the Univ. of Texas campus and downtown Austin is just west of both the Capitol building and the University campus.

Some folks like to stay at one of the extended stay type hotels that have a full kitchen and living room with a separate bedroom and bath, so they can stock up on food and such and have it all in place the first day they arrive so its easy to return to the hotel right after discharge from the ablation after one nights stay at St Davids.

Others prefer a full service hotel with full room service and a restaurant or two in the lobby. Just on the west side of Downtown Austin, they will find the world's largest Whole Foods store right across the street from their world headquarters. I recommend that folks traveling from afar to Austin go there to stock up ... its the size of a large Walmart!! And it has everything you could possible want.

As Carey also noted, on Dr Natale's TCAI (Texas Cardiac Arrhythmia Institute) website they list a number of hotels that give discounts for those that are having a procedure at St Davids.

In any event, there are plenty of options,. There are also two Doubletree Hotels nearby, one just south of St David right on the other side of the IH-35 Freeway, and the other one is a larger high-rise Doubletree hotel just near the Capitol building.

There are a lot of great restaurants in this same University, Capitol, Downtown area to chose from as well. Austin is a very nice city to visit as well, though it gets pretty hot in the summer. I particularly enjoy 'The Clay Pit' on or near Guadalupe Street close to the Capitol building, It is a wonderful Indian food restaurant in an old two story early 1900s Texas ranch house. The food is very fresh and clean and largely organic and very tasty, if you like good Indian food.

We can discuss more about your procedure andI'll try to help remove more of the unknowns as you get closer to your scheduled appointment Libby, just remind me a good week before you leave for Austin.

Cheers!
Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2017 12:51AM by Shannon.
November 30, 2017 07:57AM
Thanks so much everyone!!!
November 30, 2017 09:36AM
We stayed at the Crowne Plaza, a nice place with decent food and room service. Clean rooms, fast wifi (use a VPN), and helpful staff. A couple of nice restaurants next door too. A short Uber or Lyft to St. David's.
November 30, 2017 10:47AM
There are many nice hotels with a wide range of price just a few minutes north of St. Davids near the intersection of US290 and I35 .......Doubletree, Embassy Suites, Hampton, Drury, Courtyard, La Quinta, etc.(have stayed at most over the years).

Steve
Spring, Tx.
December 01, 2017 01:54PM
Recenty stayed at Hyatt House Downtown Austin. It is very new so nice and clean. Does have a basic bar/restaurant. Daily valet parking is expensive but for the convenience well worth it. I would stay there again. 10 minute drive over to St. Davids and no expressway necessary.
December 15, 2017 11:33PM
Do NOT stay in the Howard Johnsons, a herd of roaches literally picked up my pack of crackers and we're moving across the floor. I terminated various species of bugs in the bath room before requesting my money back and getting the heck out of there. The days inn is not fancy but walkable and convenient
December 17, 2017 09:35PM
When I had my ablation at St. David's I rented a vacation rental home. It was a super nice (cozy 2 bedroom town home just 10 minutes from the hospital). It was far cheaper than any hotel and we got to stay in a "home." We found it on VRBO. If I ever have to return to Austin for a touch up ablation I will go the same route. It's so nice to be able to recover in a "home" vs. a hotel. Plus you have lots of space to yourself!

Travis
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login