Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reccomendations for an Electrophysiologist in UK

Posted by NickC 
Reccomendations for an Electrophysiologist in UK
November 28, 2017 09:32AM
Can anyone reccommend an Electrophysiologist in UK. Also any tips on how we go about getting his GP to make the appropriate referral?

Thanks,
Re: Reccomendations for an Electrophysiologist in UK
November 29, 2017 07:08AM
I live in Cornwall UK where the local expert on ablation is Guy Haywood in Plymouth. He has a website where he sets out his case. If I could get to him I would. Apparently there is a greater preparedness to go the ablation way on the NHS even when drugs control fibrillation.
I am going to give it a go although my GP is at present more of a hindrance than a help. I don't get a lot of fibrillation which is drug controlled but I do get a lot of ectopic beats which are not controlled by either flecainide or propafenone. I'll let you know if I get anywhere. Good luck.
November 29, 2017 08:37AM
Circulation January 15, 2008

A Change of Scene: Sabine Ernst, MD, PhD
[circ.ahajournals.org]
November 29, 2017 04:55PM
Nick,
The AF ablation EPs who’ve been most highly recommended to me are:
Sabine Ernst at the Royal Brompton in London,
Richard Schilling at St Barts in London,
Anthony Chow again at St Barts in London,
Chris Pepper at Leeds General.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2017 05:00PM by mwcf.
November 30, 2017 02:42PM
Nick

Getting to the consultant of your choice, or even the hospital of your choice is very tricky. I asked for King's College, (not for AF but for something else), my GP referred me there and yet I was offered an appointment at Mayday in Croydon. When I rang the number they gave me to change it I was told that my GP had put Mayday on the referral, which was not true. I had to email my GP who then had to do a new referral specifying King's. I did eventually end up at King's, but only because I persevered.

Be prepared for a struggle, but don't give up. It pays dividends if you are extra nice to the person on the phone. I always apologise for bothering them, say how hard their job must be and so on, and it pays dividends. I think they must get a lot of angry people ringing them so if they get someone charming they respond and are helpful. Doesn't always work but often does.

As for EPs, I had my ablation in Bordeaux in January 2003, before anyone in UK was doing them, and am still in sinus rhythm almost 15 years on. If AF recurred I would almost certainly go back there but if ever I wanted to see an EP in England I would choose Sabine Ernst.

Gill
November 30, 2017 03:35PM
Thanks to Gill, mwcf, Jackie and PeterO for the advice, we are prepared for an uphill struggle.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
November 17, 2018 02:39PM
NickC — what did you decide to do in the end? Just heading down this route myself and all updates gratefully received!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login