Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Risks with ablation?

Posted by libby 
Risks with ablation?
November 24, 2017 07:05PM
I have an appointment coming up to see Dr. Natale and schedule my ablation. Risks of the procedure are on my mind. Is there anything I can do to minimize risk?
Re: Risks with ablation?
November 24, 2017 07:19PM
In my opinion, by choosing Dr. Natale you have greatly reduced any risk associated with your ablation. Rest assured you will be in the most capable and caring hands. I am sure you will feel reassured after meeting with Dr. Natale and discussing your procedure. Best wishes.
November 25, 2017 01:31AM
Thank you!
November 26, 2017 07:52PM
Obviously, no one is immune to complications. Did any of you have tamponade, cardiomyopathy, LA/esophageal fistula....?
November 27, 2017 01:38AM
libby
Obviously, no one is immune to complications. Did any of you have tamponade, cardiomyopathy, LA/esophageal fistula....?

I did not experience any of those things from any of my six ablations. I've followed several afib and medical forums for many years and I've only heard of one case of tamponade (which resolved successfully). I'm sure there have been complications I didn't hear about, but I think you're asking the wrong question. You would have to ask thousands of people who've undergone ablations to find people who have experienced the complications you're concerned about. They're that rare.
November 27, 2017 06:52AM
Shannon would tell you that choosing Dr. Natale is the best thing you could do to minimize risk. A number of years ago, he tried to convince his sister to do the same and she didn't listen to him. He tells that story here <[www.afibbers.org]

I have been on this forum for over 13 years. I have heard some horror stories, but they were mostly due to using an EP who did not have the extensive experience that Natale and his team have. One lady went to a name brand hospital with a name brand EP. That EP left the room and let a fellow handle the catheter, which ripped her valve. It was the fellow's inexperience that led to this. One thing you get with Natale, is his hands are always in control. He does not pass it off to his students.

George
November 27, 2017 07:24AM
Thank you all!!! I just had to ask... to make sure... that Dr. N. wasn't successful because he was aggressive and the risks were less than with others.
I'm relieved!
November 27, 2017 04:38PM
I haven't been in the forum for several years. Glad to see my old friend Shannon keeping it alive. I should have came in and helped people with this nightmare that, for me, lasted about fifteen years. As you know it starts out slowly then , in most cases, progressive gets worse. I was seeing one of the most respected cardiologist in Hawaii. Flecinaide worked well for a long time then stopped being effective After a try of several other arrhythmic medication I finally went into permanent afib. 160 beats per minute 24-7. I was falling apart. My cardiologist decided he had become an expert in cardio ablations. I decided to give it a try, what did I have to lose. I figured it would work are it won't, if not I would find another doctor. I came out of the coma six weeks later. The doctor had pulled my mitral valve loose. No one thought I would survive the trauma, but I did. After my two month stay in the Medical Center I returned home in a wheel chair with a new heart valve when the old one was working fine until my ablation. I found this site and heard about Doctor Andres Natale. His nurse suggest at least six month to let my heart rest and heal. I saw Dr Natale in Austin about eigth months latter. I was very impressed with the professionalism. Dr Natale wanted to do the ablantion as soon as possible. Three months later I was in Austin for the procedure. These people are great. The nurses, the procedure room staff. You will feel safe and secure. I woke up several hours later in the recovery room with a regular heart beat. I went back two months later for test to see how the procedure was working. Five years later I am still living with a regular heart beat. When you meet Dr Natale you will be impressed with his demeanor. You will sense that you are in good hands and you are. Never give up hope. There is a cure.
November 27, 2017 07:33PM
Thank you, Tom!! I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, but am glad Dr. Natale could help you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login