Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Device infection question

Posted by gmperf 
Device infection question
November 19, 2017 06:50PM
I am wondering if anyone knows if a device such as the Watchman attracts bacteria?
For example when having dental work would a person need to take antibiotics as a precaution?
I think with other foreign objects such as mechanical valves, replaced knees, etc, you do need antibiotics during procedures that tend to allow bacteria into the blood stream.
I was listening to Doctor’s Radio on SiriusXM and they were talking about knee and hip replacement and the need for antibiotics during dental procedures such as deep cleanings.

I am trying to learn all I can about LAA closure so when it becomes available, I can make an informed decision.

Thanks Shannon, Jackie, and the rest of the forum.
Re: Device infection question
November 20, 2017 09:00AM
Nope Don, After my Amplatzer Duct Occulder-II (ADO-II) vascular plug was used to plug the 5 mm diameter very late reopening leak that formed in the center of the pucker-like seal formed 10 months after an early generation LARIAT LAA Ligation procedure, I have not had to use ABs any of the several times I’ve needed dental work since including a new crown.

The ADO-ll is a small nickel and titanium (same material as used for the Watchman frame) mesh-covered vascular plug that looks more like a classic ‘rivet’ found on an old bridge like the Golden Gate Bridge. After having three 3D Color Doppler TEEs over a 13 month Follow-up after my ADO-II LAA leak plugging adventure the entire LARIAT/ADO-II LAA Ligation was fully successful with a perfectly sealed and fully endothelialized LAA and I am not only off all OAC drugs but don’t require antibiotics either for dental work.

During the first 6 weeks to 3 months or so post Watchman/Amulet install, they may well want you to take an AB prior to any dental surgery during that time when endothelial covering of the LAA ostium may not yet be 100% complete.

Shannon
November 20, 2017 01:10PM
Thanks Shannon for those details. Do you know if there are documented, observational comments about the small nickel content causing reactions in a host who has sensitivity to nickel and possibly other metals? And, and if so, did that result in a reaction either at the site or systemically....( if that could even be determined)? Would such a reaction ultimately have an impact on the function of the implanted device in that it might interfere with the endothelialization process so the 'seal' might be compromised?

Jackie
November 20, 2017 04:47PM
Here is one reported study <[www.news-medical.net]

Not sure I'd interpret the same way they did as it looks like nickel can get released early on.
November 20, 2017 10:11PM
Thank you Shannon and George.
That is good news.
I was also wondering about the nickel. Though I seem to be allergic to nothing, my reaction to Eliquis after two years of use makes me more conscious about a long term exposure to a foreign substance. Especially when it is inside the heart!

The Watchman is looking better and better for us with a slow LAA. Now if we could get insurance to cover it, the slow LAA situation is looking more hopeful.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login