Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Afib diagnosis and overwhelmed

Posted by Kat 
Kat
New Afib diagnosis and overwhelmed
November 18, 2017 10:53AM
Just diagnosed with Afib and feeling so overwhelmed. So much info out there and don’t know what to do. Irregular heartbeat going on for years but started having episodes of very fast rates over 130. Wore 30 day event monitor and recorded Afib. No symptoms when this happens but can usually feel the heart going like crazy. Put on Eliquis and EP wants me to go on Flacinide but am really afraid of all the side effects I have read about. Had nuclear stress test done while in Afib but showed no blockages. Had to hold metoprolol for 48 hours before test and was in Afib most of that time. Have been having episodes couple times a week. Dr. wants me to start med now but have so many questions and cant get in to see him for 3 weeks. How do you all decide what to do, so many side effects to everything and so much life style changes to make. My anxiety level is so high with all this and I know that can be a trigger. Current meds are Levothyroxine, Eliquis, metoprolol 50 mg bid, simvastatin. I hate taking pills and seem to be getting more and more. I am 67 and wondering what else these “golden years”will hold.
Re: New Afib diagnosis and overwhelmed
November 18, 2017 04:50PM
Millions of people with afib have been on flecainide for decades without problems. I've been on it myself multiple times and never had a problem with it. Overall I think it's one of the safest, most effective antiarrhythmics there are with the fewest side effects. Although now and then you'll encounter someone who did have negative side effects from it, those people are uncommon. In any case, if it has unpleasant side effects from it, you simply stop taking it. It's not an irrevocable decision. It's usually very effective at preventing afib, so you really should try it.

Hyperthyroidism is a big culprit in causing and worsening afib, so do make sure to keep on top of your thyroid numbers.

And yeah, anxiety is a huge trigger. You can try various non-drug routes to getting that under control, but from what I've seen it's such a huge afib trigger that a prescription for an anti-anxiety med would be worth it until you find a better way.

If you can get your afib under control with the right combination of drugs, you shouldn't need to make major lifestyle changes.
Joe
November 18, 2017 07:01PM
You will get control of the afib, Kate.
At about 66 i had this problem for about 4 months. Have been free (still have some missed beats or double beats maybe a few times a day as far as i can tell) of it for about 2 years now and stopped taking beta blockers at the beginning of the month.
While i was in afib (av.120ppm and peak @>170) i had a massage. It didn't fix the afib but my heart rate was noticeably lower for quite some time after. Thought i mention it as it might help you relax a bit if you decide to have a massage?
Wonder why simvastatin? If your fat levels are 'off' there are much better, natural ways to have that fixed.
Best wishes!
Kat
November 18, 2017 09:09PM
Thanks Carey, I know they have to post the side effects and usually it’s just a few people that have them. I do prefer to try the meds before going to abalation right away. I figure that can be done if meds don’t work. I guess I just need to make a decision and get on with things and I’m sure the stress level will come down. This forum is nice to be able to hear what other people are doing.
Kat
November 18, 2017 09:19PM
Thanks Joe, love the idea of the massage. That never came to my mind and I think that is a good idea. Certainly would help with the Afib. Think I will schedule one next week.
November 18, 2017 09:25PM
Kat:

I am vagal AF, which means that I get AF episodes in the evening. My EP has me taking Propafenone at night before bedtime (150mg.), I have been on this med. for a number of years, I have had no problems with the med. My EP seems not to like Flecainide for me or maybe he doesn't like working with that drug, I will ask him the next time I see it.

Liz
December 01, 2017 12:07AM
I was diagnosed in March. I understand. I am overwhelmed and confused too. I'm used to being strong and healthy, at least I was until my ablation in May. I'm just getting strong again and I'm told I need another ablation. My EP likes to do ablations I think. Hes doing 3-4 a week. Worried about if he knows what hes doing. Wonder if I'm rushing into a second ablation. Yes..I'm very confused and overwhelmed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login