Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Seeking Info on Natural Blood Thinners

Posted by tvanslooten 
Seeking Info on Natural Blood Thinners
November 15, 2017 10:38PM
I'm working on putting together an article for my blog and I would like some info from some of the seasoned afibbers in here. I get at least one email a week through my blog asking me about natural blood thinners. Specifically, what supplements help "thin" the blood or keep your blood "slippery." The two I'm most familiar with are vitamin E and nattokinase (Cardiokinase).

Are those the two main ones or are there others I'm forgetting?

In addition to putting together a general list I would also like to comment on general doses that afibbers take of these supplements. For example, if you chime in that you take vitamin E I'd be curious to know how much you take every day - and are you also taking prescription blood thinners with these types of supplements?

Another thing I'd like to comment on in this blog post is how a person can test how "slippery" their blood really is. For example, are there tests you can take to see how fast your blood clots...or how "thick" your blood really is? When you're on coumadin there is the INR test but are there similar tests for the general patient that just wants to know if they have sticky blood or not?

Whatever you can share on this topic I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,

Travis
www.LivingWithAtrialFibrillation.com

P.S. Even if you don't take any of these types of supplements but you know of some, I'd love it if you'd list them. This will give me a starting point for my research.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2017 10:46PM by tvanslooten.
Re: Seeking Info on Natural Blood Thinners
November 15, 2017 10:50PM
Hi Travis,

Have you read Hans' book on this topic <[www.yourhealthbase.com] ?

George
November 16, 2017 09:48AM
Travis - The Cardiokinase... and then with that, the K2 MK7. I'd also go for high-dose Omega 3 fish oils... 4 - 6 grams daily. Remember that the focus is to lower silent inflammation that causes the thick, sticky blood. So targeting inflammation goes to the core issue. So...dietary issues plus lots of antioxidants and Vitamin C... such as the LipoC version. The Cardiokinase addresses the fibrin elements as does serrapeptase.

You can also look at the NOAC package inserts for contraindications as to what not to use with them... and consider they will help if not taking a formal anticoag. Example... ginkgo biloba and bromelain, etc.

And, remember that pycnogenol, or maritime pink bark, has a study showing efficacy for helping prevent DVT on long-haul flights... ie (Flite Tabs)... so taking pycnogenol regularly also is very helpful and especially so when flying.

Emphasize that magnesium helps with preventing platelet aggregation as does Earthing practices... especially if one is exposed to EMF pollution for many hours a day.

Just remember you need to caution people they need to know the various hyperviscosity risk factor markers before relying on natural blood thinners because if someone has very high numbers, they need special attention to get those numbers into range. Age and other health issues such as diabetes and metabolic syndrome are a concern as well.
You can check my lists in the previous posts on Thick Sticky Blood and the recent one on Clot Risk.

Jackie
November 22, 2017 03:38PM
Thanks George and Jackie! This gives me an excellent head start. Have a good one!

Travis
February 17, 2018 02:34PM
I had been diagnosed with Afib some time back (you don't want to see my story). Anyway, I've been on Coumadin since the diagnosis. The nurse at who oversees the Coumadin clinic told me to stay away from cranberry juice. It is a blood thinner. I found that to be true. A couple of months ago I was drinking a mouthful of cranberry juice every day or so and sometimes a couple of times a day. I had been having INRs around 2.2 consistently. The next time at the clinic my INR was 3.2. So, the stuff works.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login