Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

depressed after seeing cardiologist today

Posted by anneh 
depressed after seeing cardiologist today
November 09, 2017 10:31PM
so today i went back to cardiologist just for a followup since he put me on metoprolol and eliquis in July after several afib episodes (prior I only had them every 2-3yrs). I did have another short episode in late September. All was going well until he looked at my meds and asked me why I was on 2.5mgs of Eliquis 2xday, he said he wanted me on 5,g 2xday. I told him the anti coagulant office accepted that I requested to start on lowest dose. He said its not high enough (I am 5'8 145lbs I will be 80yo next year)) and I should be on 5mgs. I told him I prefer the lower dose as I am afraid of hemorrhagic brain bleed etc, he laughed and said it was highly unlikely. I don't believe it is unlikely and now I am not sure what to do as he wrote a new script for 5mg 2xday and told me to double what I have until I run out. I also take fish oil/garlic/herbs but he said there is no knowledge of how they interact with Eliquis. I wish there was some sort of test they could do to see how well a dose is working but he said there isn't any test. A FB forum I am on said its a balancing act with NOACS whether you get a stroke from taking them or from not taking them, can get dementia if they cause brain bleeds etc. After caring for my late husband with his dementia its the last thing I want to have sad smiley I know I have brought up before my fears taking Eliquis but believe it or not I recently just told myself I am on a low dose and I will be ok but now this has happened sad smiley anne h

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2017 10:57PM by anneh.
Re: depressed after seeing cardiologist today
November 10, 2017 12:27AM
Your risk of embolic stroke (stroke from a clot) is much, much higher than your risk of hemorrhagic stroke (stroke from a bleed), so I'm afraid he's quite right. Any well informed doctor in the world would agree with him on this.

You're in the same boat as people who are afraid of flying. They're perfectly happy to drive to the airport, which is by far the most dangerous part of their trip, but they're afraid of the flying part, which is by far the safest. The numbers are indisputable, but nevertheless they're afraid of flying but not driving. That's you and your fear of anticoagulants. You're afraid of the rare thing they can cause and not afraid of the common thing they prevent.

NOACs do not cause dementia. Not sure where you heard that. In fact, there's new evidence they may actually prevent dementia.

With your afib, age, and gender, you absolutely should be on the 5 mg dose religiously. Please believe this.
November 10, 2017 10:23AM
thnx for your input, I was praying for an answer that would help me and it has. I will up the dose and pray for the best. I think the reference to dementia was from NOACs causing brain blips btw.
November 12, 2017 10:30PM
I think 5mg 2x is the norm. I had no problem with this med at all, I'm not sure why people seem to be a bit fearful sometimes. It is to me the best option for thinning. I so think my actual blood seems thinner on 81 mg aspirin daily. I would listen to the doc on this one.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login