Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

When will the Watchman be covered by insurance companies?

Posted by pammorgan 
When will the Watchman be covered by insurance companies?
November 04, 2017 09:25PM
Dear Forum,
A year ago I had my second ablation with Dr. Natale after ten years of being afib free. Now after a year of being on Eloquis I am feeling anxious! I am 58 years old and I do not want to be on Eloquis forever. I would like to have the watchman. I am an active healthy person who loves outdoor sports! When will insurance companies cover this procedure for everyone?
Best,
Pamela

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2017 09:25PM by pammorgan.
Re: When will the Watchman be covered by insurance companies?
November 05, 2017 11:34PM
Good question and nobody can predict what insurance companies will do or when, but my guess is you'll see them start covering it in the coming year as 5-year data becomes available. It won't be all of them at once, of course, and no doubt there will be holdouts, but I think it's on the horizon.

How insane is it that American health care is dictated by for-profit companies that have a vested interest in denying everything they can?
November 07, 2017 12:38PM
Hi Pam,

When you have had LAA isolation, as you did, it is generally easier to get insurance approval even now from an increasing number of generally larger insurance companies. As new wave of upcoming Watchman/Amulet studies come out over the course of 2018 and the following two to three years, you can expect the doors to open a good deal wider making LAAC an increasingly more accepted alternative to life long blood thinners for those patients who can most benefit from mechanical LAA closure which definitely will include folks with LAA isolation.

Cheers!

Shannon
November 08, 2017 06:23PM
Dear Shannon,
Thanks for the encouraging information! I am looking into the future of getting the watchman rather than looking at a lifetime of blood thinners.
Best, Pamela
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login