Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

surgery and Eliquis

Posted by anneh 
surgery and Eliquis
November 03, 2017 08:46PM
Hi friends, I was started on Eliquis 2.5 2xday and 25mgs Metoprolol 1xday early August due to several afib episodes (prior I only got them every 2-3yrs for last 8yrs). I wanted the lowest dose of Eliquis because my diet is vegetarian and high in fruits/veggies and includes fish oil/garlic/herbs. So now have found out what I thought was a pimple on my face is a basal cell carcinoma =:0 fortunately early stage and will be easily removed. I will of course check with my cardio but just curious what the protocol is for surgery when on Eliquis. The ads on TV make is sound like if you stop it you may get a stroke which is frightening sad smiley I have not had an afib episode now since Sept (I had a short one). TIA for info anneh
Re: surgery and Eliquis
November 03, 2017 09:23PM
For a simple procedure like that they might not require you to stop at all, but if they do, a brief stoppage of an anticoagulant for a day or two is such a trivial risk for you that it's not worth worrying about. Seriously, your stroke risk even without taking Eliquis at all is in the 1-2% range, so divide that by 365 and you get an increased risk of about .0005% per day when you're off Eliquis. Your odds of being struck by a meteorite are higher. :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2017 12:01AM by Carey.
November 03, 2017 10:04PM
thnx smiling smiley maybe I shouldn't even be on it if my risk is so low, its because I am 79 that they put me on it, I worry alot about getting a hemorrhagic stroke from being on it =:0 anne h
November 04, 2017 12:00AM
anneh
thnx smiling smiley maybe I shouldn't even be on it if my risk is so low, its because I am 79 that they put me on it, I worry alot about getting a hemorrhagic stroke from being on it =:0 anne h

No, being 79 and female with afib, your risk of ischemic stroke is much higher than your risk of hemorrhagic stroke. You need to be on it, but being off it a couple of days is no big deal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login