Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Spicy Foods

Posted by Catherine 
Spicy Foods
October 29, 2017 12:51PM
I seem to have controlled my palpitations with diet (whole foods, plant based) and supplements as outlined in the “strategy” section of this forum.
I also have not A-fibbed since June, but am not arrogant enough to think I couldn’t be in its throws before I complete this post.

However, whenever I have a spicy meal, I do notice an increase in palps, as well as flutters. Last night I made a super spicy red lentil Dal over brown rice. An hour or so later, I experienced a flutter lasting a few seconds and a few palpitations. I took a magnesium/taurate calcium and it calmed down.
Re: Spicy Foods
October 29, 2017 05:50PM
Capsaicin (the oil in all peppers that makes them spicy) isn’t digestible by humans. So the gut reacts by reversing the flow of water across the membranes in the small intestine to flush it out. You can lose electrolytes in this manner, and thus experience some arrhythmia.

One of my tried and true (and all natural and 100% organic) methods for “clearing the pipes”as it were, is to eat a couple of jalapeños at night and wash them down with plenty of fluid. Then next morning I get up and run 6 miles. I never make it past mile 4. smiling smiley
October 29, 2017 07:08PM
Wolfpack, your visual made me laugh.
October 29, 2017 08:42PM
Also sounds like you might be vagal. In addition to the electrolyte issue Wolfpack talked about, the spicyness might cause a vagal reaction from the stomach.

In my case, I am vagal. As long as my electrolytes are optimized, Vagal triggers don't bother me. However, if I skip on magnesium or have too much calcium, it is another matter. Sounds like not pushing the top end of spicy might be prudent for you.

George
November 04, 2017 02:49PM
I believe I am also vegal. I suffered from Silent Reflux (an entire year after a 5-hour surgery) when I was prescribed two rounds of Cipro. Betaine HCL and additional acid promoting supplements finally kicked in. Thanks for the information, George.
November 05, 2017 08:56PM
You know the one thing I forgot to mention in my list of things they found when I got my first (and only - fingers crossed) afib episode was beyond the low blood potassium, 2+ energy drinks a day, and undiagnosed sleep apnea... for lunch I had eaten some Pad Thai with a friend's homemade Carolina Reaper (700x hotter than jalapenos) pepper mash all over it. I wonder if that helped with the mess...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login