Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My friend who had the widow make blockage fixed five years ago is now in persistent afib.

Posted by pammorgan 
Dear Forum,
My 59 year old male friend has persistent afib. He had the widow maker blockage stints put in five years ago. He was diagnosed with afib last week after his father's massive heart attack/funeral at the age of 81.. He is scheduled for a cardioversion in November. He has heard me talk of Dr. Natale and with my two successful ablations in 97, and 2016 is convinced if the cardioversion does not work in November he wants to see Dr. Natale. What advice do you have for him. He absolutely hates the drugs he is currently on to slow his heart rate. After his father's sudden death he is very worried. Thanks for your support.
Warmly,
Pam
Re: My friend who had the widow make blockage fixed five years ago is now in persistent afib.
October 23, 2017 10:02PM
My advice is to make the appointment and do as Dr. Natale directs. :-)
The issue with cardioversions is to how to keep the heart in rhythm afterward.

As Cary suggests, I'd make a Natale appointment now, even before cardioversion. He can always cancel if the cardioversion is successful and he stays in NSR.

George
Ken
Re: My friend who had the widow make blockage fixed five years ago is now in persistent afib.
October 25, 2017 08:15AM
Why the wait for the cardioversion? I only had one early in my 6 yrs of diagnosed a-fib, and that was done immediately in the ER and then home an hour later. From then on, I always converted on my own, so no more cardioversions.
Ken
Why the wait for the cardioversion? I only had one early in my 6 yrs of diagnosed a-fib, and that was done immediately in the ER and then home an hour later. From then on, I always converted on my own, so no more cardioversions.

Possibly because he needs to be anticoagulated for a time (3-4 weeks as I recall) if they or ins. won't let them do a TEE.
Good news, my friend came out of afib after 8 days and did not need the cardioversion!
November 05, 2017 11:18AM
That's great but most likely it won't last. Cardioversions aren't curative.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login