Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Afib not stopping - please help!

Posted by Roel 
Afib not stopping - please help!
October 17, 2017 04:24PM
I had double bypass with afib as a complication besides a large left lung pleural effusion. I am 5 weeks post-op.

Body is recovering well, which includes the pleural effusion in a natural way. Blood tests shows light anaemia (seems to be improving), and mild thrombocytosis (definitely improving).

Heart does not seem to be recovering at all. BP semi-normal (was always high before operation). Heart rate approx 100-115 at rest. About 79 before operation. Had some bigemeny and afib before operation, but nothing permanent - for example only on a stressful night.

After the operation had various afib episodes. First time it went away with medicine after one day. Then came back. Then one week of meds did not do anything and had a cardioversion. One shock (at 70 joules I think) did it and put me back into sinus. Then went home and got afib again.

As the Amiodarone as an AF agent (with Metoprolol as beta blocker) had very bad side effects (nausea, hard to breath, could not eat,...) I am now on Solavert - a combined beta blocker/AF agent. It brings my heart rate and BP down, but I am not there yet. Afib is still there (as good as permanently) and heart rate is at times 115, usually 105, and sometimes it now drops back to below-100.I may be heading towards another cardioversion.

Tried numerous supplements as well and while there is some help with body recovery and inflammation, it does not seem to fix heart. Taurine did not seem to have any effect. Pomegranate extract helped a bit, but does not seem permanent. Garlic idem. Strong antioxidants seem to help, but not with heart.

Any tips or ideas would be really appreciated.
Re: Afib not stopping - please help!
October 18, 2017 12:13AM
Unfortunately, afib is very common following bypass surgery. The good news is it often resolves on its own with time. Your heart just underwent some major trauma, so it's not even a little bit happy and it's showing it. We see the same thing to a lesser degree following afib ablations.

Solavert is known as sotalol in the US. It seems to be the best choice for your situation. Sorry it's not very effective for you. Your doctor knows this, right? It's the best choice but not the only choice.

This article has a nice summary of the options available, at least in 2012. Note the paragraph about N-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (aka fish oil).

Obviously, you need to run anything you add past your doctor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2017 10:14AM by Carey.
October 18, 2017 02:15AM
My suggestion is to go back to your Dr. and tell him to get your HR down in the 80's. Either increase the dosage of your beat-blocker, or add something else. Your AF will be less bothersome with a rate closer to your previous normal HR.
It's good that you converted using only 70J. Most Dr's won't even try it that low.
October 20, 2017 12:17AM
Thank you Carey & The Anti-Fib!

Re: the cardio version joule, I understand it is different for monophasic and biphasic machines. Not sure which one they used.

Thanks for the info on Solavert/Sotalol. I take 40+80mg now (40+40 before) and the 40+80mg does seem to work a bit better. Interestingly, I also feel more sick with the 40+80mg, inc chest tightness. In total no where near as bad symptoms as the Amiodarone, but same sort of hard-to-describe sick feeling.

Also interestingly, the main ingredient of Solavert (Sotalol hydrochloride) has a similar name to the main ingredient of Amiodarone (Amiodarone hydrochloride) and iirc that was 200mg.

Do you think that a cardioversion would be indicated or perhaps better try higher Solavert dose (with cardiologist approval)?

Also, thank you for the note on the N-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and the article. Any other natural suggestions which may help?

Thank you
October 20, 2017 07:59AM
Roel - So sorry to read about your situation.

Not that this information will help you now, but magnesium infusions during bypass surgery and similar have been found to help prevent arrhythmia.
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
[www.sciencedirect.com]

If you aren't using supplemental magnesium now, you could consider starting that now.
Lots of reports here on the various doses and forms of magnesium, but if you need help in locating, send me a PM and I'll help.

Jackie
October 20, 2017 05:21PM
Thank you Jackie!

They gave me two magnesium (and potassium) infusions after the operation (due to deficiency I believe).

I now take; Magnesium Taurate 1x120 1x45mg (Cardiovascular research brand - many positive reviews on Amazon in terms of afib), and Magnesium Aspartate dihydrate 4x37.4mg (Blackmores magmin - started in hospital - seemingly a highly available form of Magnesium suitable for addressing deficiency), total per day about 315mg Magnesium. Do you think this would be enough?

I used to try Magnesium Glycinate but this produced strong OCD after a day or two of use - and I tried several times, same result each time. The two forms above do not seem to have this negative aspect.
October 20, 2017 06:12PM
Roel - good that you are using magnesium supplements. The optimal daily intake amount is highly individualized.... mostly depending on bowel tolerance. The typical dosing instructions are to increase the dosing gradually until you reach bowel tolerance and then reduce the dose slightly so it's not too much and you're comfortable with it. Keep in mind that the amount of magnesium your body needs fluctuates all the time, so for instance on a high stress day, you may need and tolerate more than when you have peaceful, calm day. Medications and other influences also reduce the amount of functional magnesium. Oh - and important tip. Avoid taking supplemental calcium and don't eat a diet high in calcium-containing foods as calcium blocks magnesium's function.

The magnesium glycinate form is typically well-tolerated so I'm sorry that you had the OCD reactions... and good that you discontinued. You can also consider the topical forms, often called 'oils' or 'gels' and sprays. they aren't really oily, but feel that way. Some individuals prefer the topicals or soaking in a bath or foot bath with magnesium sulfate or Epsom Salts.... or a combination of everything to reach intracellular optimization. We often say, "we are experiments of one" and with magnesium, that's definitely the case.

Some people tolerate 1,000 mg and more; whereas, others reach their tolerance limit at 600 mg, 800 mg and often less.

Check out these reports for general information on magnesium:

[www.afibbers.org]

[www.afibbers.org]

There are more archived reports in the Conference Room at this link... if you feel like browsing through the maze:
[www.afibbers.org]

Please be well and let us know how your recovery is proceeding.
Best to you,
Jackie
October 20, 2017 06:18PM
Thank you Jackie, you rock. Great information and help. I pray this may help others too.
October 20, 2017 06:24PM
Wow, the PDF's are impressive. Printing them now for reading smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login