Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Blood test
September 14, 2017 10:59AM
I had some routine blood tests. The results show my Hemoglobin and Hematocrit were slightly above average.
My Hemoglobin was 17.3H (normal range 13.2-17.1). My Hemotocrit was 51.0H (normal range 38.5-50.0).

I do recall 5 years ago the Hemoglobin was slightly elevated. Doctor commented I may need to give blood occasionally.
(Although I don't think anyone want blood with Pradaxa in it.)

My understanding is the "normal" ranges are derived from the population averages.

I do live at 3500 feet MSL. I do fly airplane. Wondering if this may be a cause. I also wonder if blood thinners effect this.
I will follow up with the Dr in a few weeks.

Anyone have any insight about this?

Thanks, Don
Re: Blood test
September 14, 2017 06:12PM
Don, I live at 5600' MSL (and spend a lot of time at 10-13,000') and don't have that issue. Have you been tested for hemochromatosis? In any case the advice to donatend blood is the easy answer. All men and postmenopausal women can accumulate iron. It also depends upon your diet. For example meat or taking vitamin C before you eat green leafy veggies can increase iron absorption.
September 14, 2017 06:25PM
Yes, Don... as George mentions, if you have hemochromatosis, then you need to have blood draws and testing regularly until you are in the 'safe' zone. At the phlebotomist, they typically just discard the blood so it's not like someone is going to receive it .... or that's the way it is in Ohio, at least.

Jackie
September 14, 2017 06:33PM
GeorgeN
Don, I live at 5600' MSL (and spend a lot of time at 10-13,000') and don't have that issue. Have you been tested for hemochromatosis? In any case the advice to donatend blood is the easy answer. All men and postmenopausal women can accumulate iron. It also depends upon your diet. For example meat or taking vitamin C before you eat green leafy veggies can increase iron absorption.

Hello George,

Interesting. No I haven't been tested for hemochromatosis. I will bring that up to the doctor. Although I don't have any symptoms of that condition.

Does anyone know if they will accept blood while the donor is on Pradaxa or the likes.

Funny thing, my wife and I really cut back on the amount of meat we eat. Here cholesterol which was always on the normal side went up to above normal. Now I have this.

On the other hand, thinking back 5 years ago my blood test at Quest Labs showed this as slightly above the normal range. This latest test was done at Quest Labs also. All the blood tested I have had in between these two tests at Quest Labs, were normal. Those tests were done at Scripps and Cedars Sinai.
September 14, 2017 06:36PM
Jackie
Yes, Don... as George mentions, if you have hemochromatosis, then you need to have blood draws and testing regularly until you are in the 'safe' zone. At the phlebotomist, they typically just discard the blood so it's not like someone is going to receive it .... or that's the way it is in Ohio, at least.

Jackie
Thanks Jackie, That seems like an easy fix - Not like Afib!
Don
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login