Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

One Year Anniversary, But Questions Remain

Posted by Fibbin AFib 
One Year Anniversary, But Questions Remain
August 31, 2017 03:28PM
Hello all,

The morning of Aug 31st is my first year anniversary since entering the club. I woke up around 3am with what I knew was not a normal HR with palpitations, so I headed to the ER where I stayed in afib for about 8 hours before I converted to NSR. This was after they got my potassium up (it was well below normal). So, I have been free for a year now, I think, but some new things have crept up over this time. I am in my mid 40s now, but since my late 20s, I would have PVCs that were diagnosed, just a few a week, if any, but "big" enough to feel and cause some anxiety.
Fast forward now and I have no PVCs, knowing this through going through two 30 day heart monitors over the last year, but occasional PACs and SVTs (usually 5 beats in duration only). The monitors detected only about 5 to 10 total of these events each time over 30 days. On top of that, I have had some weird tachycardia episodes. Not including my afib episode, two times I woke up around 3-4am with the feeling of anxiety, and then, when I would sit up, BOOM, my heart would jump up to 130bpm. There was another time I simply stood up from a chair, and my chest felt like it got very empty (I have no other way to explain it), my heart was still beating and it only lasted about 2 to 3 seconds before BOOM, my heart shot up to 130bpm. Each time, my HR started to quickly come down within a few minutes back to normal, other than it being elevated from the "WTF just happened" anxiety. I have a Kardia and caught one of these episodes on it. Sent it to my cardiologist who said, yes it is tachycardia, but I was in NSR and not to worry.

A funny note... every time I had the wake up episodes, including my afib, I was lying on my left side. I could also swear one time it felt like my heart was almost ready to go back into afib and if I wasn't keeping up on my Potassium, it would have.

I also have had two or three episodes where my HR goes up to 100-110bpm in the middle of the day and just stays there for several hours. Kardia says NSR. One time during one of these episodes, my heart was beating so hard, the whole bed was shaking that I was lying on. It feels like there was an extra strong "whip" at the end of each beat. Really weird.

I have been keeping up on my supplements, potassium, magnesium, Hawthorne berry, taurine, and Co-Q 10. I exercise regularly and have stopped drinking alcohol. I have a cup of coffee a day, but cut it out when things start to feel a little strange or my anxiety rises.

So my questions:
- Has anyone else had similar tachycardia episodes? What could be causing them?
Re: One Year Anniversary, But Questions Remain
September 01, 2017 10:49AM
There seems to be a curse of this board that when you post an update, something happens. I woke up at 5am this morning, on my right side, to the feeling of anxiety in my chest and a rapid heart rate. I noticed it kept going until I stood up to get my Kardia. At which point I measured it at 133bpm with a normal SNR. Over then next 2 mins it returned to 72bpm, which is my normal. I could feel it wanting to kick into afib again. I spent the morning measuring the QTc, etc. which all were normal. This is starting to seem like it is some kind of postural tachycardia but in reverse.

Another weird thing I forgot to mention is when I work outside in the heat and am sweating a lot (though drinking water with magnesium, sodium and potassium I put in it), I start to get a lot of PACs or PVCs (never had a monitor on when they kick off) about 1 a minute until I stop working. During 2 stress tests these never show up. It is really weird.

Should I see my regular cardiologist about this or talk to an EP?

Thanks.
September 02, 2017 10:06AM
Hello Fibbin... Your comment....... On top of that, I have had some weird tachycardia episodes. Not including my afib episode, two times I woke up around 3-4am with the feeling of anxiety, and then, when I would sit up, BOOM, my heart would jump up to 130bpm. .......

.....has a familiar ring to me from some of my previous experiences. In the early morning hours, I'd often be awakened with the jittery feeling and then Afib. I'd also get the tachycardia during the middle of the afternoon and then... afib.

What I learned at the time (which was long ago) is that it had to do with low blood glucose (sugar). The body's protective mechanism for the brain is to go into 'alert mode' when glucose is low... and this is an adrenaline surge...meant to get your attention and to eat something so the glucose levels increase. The holistic MD I saw at the time also had that problem so he knew exactly what to do to help prevent it. His instructions were to eat a protein snack an hour before bedtime and during the day, to eat small meals or frequent snacks...with ample protein... no sugar or starchy carbs..... and no alcohol. Job stress depleted my energy stores quickly so I learned to take breaks and eat protein snacks.

That worked for those events but what he didn't know or test for was the importance of optimizing intracellular magnesium. Later on, I learned I was low in both magnesium and potassium.... plus, following the mantra of the mindset at the time... women should always protect bone health by taking calcium supplements. I soon made the connection that each time I took calcium before bed, I'd wake up in arrhythmia. So, after stopping that practice, supplementing with magnesium and the snacks, I slept well. We have learned also that dietary calcium intake can be a contributor to arrhythmia as it blocks magnesium's function. So, assess your food intake of dairy/calcium containing foods and cut way back or eliminate completely. If you doubt that advice, read "Death by Calcium" by cardiologist Thomas E. Levy, MD, JD.

On the heat - stress issue... definitely keep up with the electrolytes you're adding to water... If you post the amounts of each mineral and the forms .. such as magnesium citrate or magnesium oxide...we can help steer you to appropriate dosages and forms. You also need some salt (sodium) and plenty of pure water.

Jackie
September 04, 2017 10:43AM
That's exactly how my issues started! Middle of the night I'd wake up feeling weird. My heart rate would be ok until I sat up at which time it would take off. It only lasted maybe 10 minutes, but took longer to feel right. It was sinus tachycardia and the doctors blew it off and told me it was anxiety. Really, in the middle of the night when I was sleeping! It happened every night until I got on Diltiazem. Fast forward a couple years, now I go into a-fib. My potassium runs about 3.5. I appreciate the information from all of you!
September 04, 2017 03:35PM
Jackie,

So did eating the protein get rid of that weird jittery feeling? When I'm feeling like that for a few days, that is when I have more PACs and tachy. I think my extended "lower range" tachy is more from anxiety. It usually happens when I am traveling, which I do a lot.

I do use a lot of Potassium Chloride since I eliminate it quicker than normal. Had my kidneys checked and they are fine. Doc says my body just likes to get rid of it due to all the water I drink. My current dosages are as follows.

Morning:
- Magnesium (from amino acid chelate, cirtrate, and malate) - 133 mg
- Magnesium (from malic acid) - 74 mg
- Taurine - 1,000 mg
- Hawthorne Berry - 565 mg x 2
- CoQ 10 (ubiquinol) - 100 mg
- Potassium Chloride - 730 mg (1/4 tsp)

Night:
- Magnesium (ionic Mg citrate from Natural Calm) - 325 mg
- Taurine - 1,000 mg
- Hawthorne Berry - 565 mg x 2
- Potassium Chloride - 730 mg (1/4 tsp)
- tbsp of beet powder

Working in hot weather:
- large glass of water with
- Potassium Chloride - 365 mg (1/8 tsp)
- Magnesium (ionic Mg citrate from Natural Calm) - 160 mg

I have also considered starting to take 12.5mg of Iodine a day from reading around the web on its benefits. I also just had my last amalgam pulled from my teeth.

Libby,

When you get the afib now, do you have the tachycardia before it or does it go straight into afib? My afib happened when my potassium was at 2.5 mEq/L. Minimum is 3.5 for humans. I have heard that people with tachy and/or afib have some docs that like to keep them more near 4.0 mEq/L. I am seriously considering purchasing an at home potassium blood meter due to my issues with keeping it regular.

Thank you for all the help.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2017 05:09PM by Fibbin AFib.
September 04, 2017 04:33PM
Libby and Fibbin - I will respond in detail soon. Just taking some time off for "Labor Day" and nice weather.
Back in the saddle by tomorrow afternoon.

Jackie
September 05, 2017 02:43PM
Okay Libby and Fibbin - here's a start ... sorry for the delay.

Libby - you mention your potassium level was 3.5. I learned that if my potassium was lower than 4.0, I'd be in afib. (That helped me stabilize, but ultimately did not ‘cure’ my arrhythmia. However, since potassium fluctuations are a huge influence on some individuals, it’s important to pay strict attention.

Potassium is critical, obviously, but you need to have consistent intracellular magnesium levels in order for potassium to help with rhythm stabilization so both are very important. Get from foods and/or supplement. Magnesium from food sources is much more difficult to get so supplementation is almost always needed. That’s not the case with potassium and too much potassium intake can also make heart rhythm worse. If there is kidney function impairment, this can be a contributor.

Others may have a different experience but the indication is that a typical lab range will be between 3.5 and 5.5 and... depending on the lab this varies. One of our afibbers introduced us to the CardyMeter which is a handy way to keep tabs on your potassium levels. See this report: [www.afibbers.org]

My FM MD told me to try for around 4.2 - 4.5. She said definitely not go higher... (for me).

Fibbin….

Yes, when I started managing the hypoglycemia issues along with the adrenal fatigue (burnout), the night-time afib events did go away for the most part. But didn’t obviously didn’t control completely or I wouldn’t have required the three ablations over time. The key was to eat enough protein at meals and snacks and not go longer than 3 hours between meals …avoiding fruit and starchy, sugary carb foods. I treated for at least 2 years for the adrenal dysfunction before the tests were normal. There are two books on restoring adrenal function. If you’re interested, send me a PM and I can give you the details… and I’ll share what supplements I use for maintenance. If you have a high-stress job or life, it’s important to provide adrenal nutritional support.

Now… as for your supplementing, I presume you are tolerating the magnesium. If not, remember that the citrate form tends to cause bowel tolerance issues…so choose the amino acid chelate version which doesn’t break down in the stomach.

On Potassium chloride…. If your stomach is happy, then fine but some reports indicate it is harsh and people have stomach distress…so switch to potassium citrate.

You might consider adding 1/4 – ½ tsp. of salt – sodium chloride – when you’re working out in hot climate conditions because that helps keep some of the electrolytes from flushing through rapidly. The body does need sodium. See CR
71 on the importance of the Sodium/Potassium ratio [www.afibbers.org]

On the Hawthorne at bedtime. My story is that when I first started researching Afib, Hawthorne was touted at many websites as being the answer… and perhaps for some, it is. However, my experience is that it promoted Afib… I didn’t try to figure out why but when I stopped Hawthorne, I stopped the Afib… at least for a time. So… just be aware that it may not be the herb for you.

The iodine may be helpful ….as so many are iodine deficient; however, some say that unless there is a severe iodine deficiency, you need far less than the 12.5… maybe use every other day or MWF only…

On the amalgam removal, did they use specific vapor-claiming equipment, rubber dams, etc to help eliminate mercury contamination?

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.

Best to you,
Jackie
September 10, 2017 08:16PM
Is Natural Calm the powder you put in hot water? That stuff gave me palpitations for two hours after taking it. I tried it three times. I told the doctor about it and she said magnesium wouldn't do that. Made me mad!
September 11, 2017 02:17PM
Libby - A while back, I read that in the process of making the magnesium citrate for Natural Calm, that the citrate compound used was produced from GMO sources and could include impurities to which sensitive people react.

I didn't follow that commentary at the time because I didn't like the Natural Calm's taste. However, now that you've jogged my memory, I just did a quick search and came up with the following clip... although I'm not sure of the scientific validity of the claims on the ascorbate, citric acid and Vit C... however, based on all the other validated info on GMOs harm in the body, it makes sense... But just FYI... since you had the reaction, it could be a "stimulator" for you.

There are so many other better forms of magnesium, it's not worth the risk to rely on Natural Calm.

Jackie

What are the most common GMOs?
The most common GMOs are soy, cotton, canola, corn, sugar beets, Hawaiian papaya, alfalfa, and squash (zucchini and yellow). Many of these items appear as added ingredients in a large amount of the foods we eat. For instance, your family may not eat tofu or drink soy milk, but soy is most likely present in a large percentage of the packaged foods in your pantry.

GMOs may be hidden in common processed food ingredients such as: Amino Acids, Aspartame, Ascorbic Acid, Sodium Ascorbate, Vitamin C, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Flavorings (“natural” and “artificial”), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Lactic Acid, Maltodextrins, Molasses, Monosodium Glutamate, Sucrose, Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP), Xanthan Gum, Vitamins, Yeast Products.
Source: [sparkandhustle.com]

Also:

List of ingredients that are usually GMO

The Non-GMO Project Verified website lists these ingredients as commonly harboring GMOs:

Amino Acids
Aspartame
Ascorbic Acid
Sodium Ascorbate
Vitamin C
Citric Acid
Sodium Citrate
Flavorings (natural and artificial)
High Fructose Corn Syrup
Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein
Lactic Acid
Maltodextrins
Molasses
Monosodium Glutamate
Sucrose
Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP)
Xanthan Gum
Vitamins
Yeast Products (such as yeast extract)
Source: [www.copleynews.com]
September 11, 2017 02:45PM
Libby,

Yes, it was Natural Calm. I don't seem to have a problem with it, but mixing it up is a pain, not to mention bringing it on flights.

Jackie,

Sorry for the delay. I have been on extended travel for work. I will PM you. Thank you for all the info!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login