Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pacemakers

Posted by Elizabeth 
Pacemakers
August 30, 2017 02:36PM
Has anybody here have a pacemaker from St. Jude, if so, you might be interested in the following, rather scary.

NEW YORK (Reuters) – Abbott Laboratories said on Tuesday it would issue updates to reduce the risk of its St. Jude heart implants being hacked and to warn patients that the devices’ batteries may run down earlier than expected.

It was the second round of updates for the heart implants that Abbott has announced since buying medical device maker St. Jude Medical earlier this year.

The U.S. government launched a probe last year of claims the devices were vulnerable to potentially life-threatening hacks that could cause implanted devices to pace at potentially dangerous rates or cause them to fail by draining their batteries.

I have a St. Jude pacemaker, they called me about a month ago and said to have my device (I use it to send the data from my pacemaker to U. of M. hospital) plugged in as they wanted to update it.

Liz
Re: Pacemakers
September 02, 2017 03:14AM
HI Liz, I never was a big fan of that brand of pacer. I like the generally longer battery life of Boston Scientific or Medtronics.

Shannon
Re: Pacemakers
September 02, 2017 11:25PM
Well too late for me for me now. I am not pacer dependent, I had issues when going back from an AF episode into NSR my heartrate would drop to almost a flatline for a few seconds. With the pacer which is set at 50 my heartrate no longer can do that

Liz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login