Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Interesting website on Afib

Posted by Ritva 
Interesting website on Afib
August 13, 2017 06:33PM
You all may or may not know about Dr. John Mandrola. He is a cardiac electrophysiologist who also has Afib. I absolutely love his articles and blogs where he discusses all aspects of Afib in a lighthearted yet earnest manner; and from personal experiences. Have a look at his 13 Things to Know about Afib and other articles, plus ongoing blog where he discusses variety of issues including the state of healthcare, controversies surrounding many pharmaceutical drugs, and ablation (is it a placebo? he asks). He also provides links to such important topics as to a recent article, published in the journal Mayo Clinic Proceedings, which provides chilling evidence that many well-established medical practices are wrong.

Ritva
Re: Interesting website on Afib
August 13, 2017 08:34PM
Oh, we know him. Opinions vary, I'm sure.
August 13, 2017 11:17PM
Actually much of what he says is common sense.

His explanation of the difference between Afib and flutter in a layman's language was the first time that I actually understood the difference.

He talks about asking questions of your doctors. Too many (people I know) blindly accept whatever the doctors tell them.

And he talks about choices, the patient's choice to decide what the treatment should be.

He brings out a word "deprescribe" for medications that might not be necessary. If a condition is stable, see what happens if you stop the meds. Go back if things get worse. I love that, and am doing that right now myself. Already cut the one med I take daily to half a dose. Will go off completely. Hopefully don't have to go back.

Recently read a book called Misguided Medicine. Written by an MD and a professor at a medical school. He says that fifty percent of what doctors tell us is wrong. So asking questions is smart and necessary in this more and more complicated medical world.

I love the lightheartedness of his approach to Afib. To me afib has never been a "disease", simply a 20 yr. nuisance. It has never stopped me from doing what I wanted to do. And I am not taking a handful of meds every day. In fact I have rejected meds that my GP and cardiologist have suggested. My cardio guy is also a common sense kind of guy and listens to me. But also I ask tough questions.

I would rather add Dr. John's point of view to all the other "experts" so I can ask more questions and make the right choice for me.

Ritva
August 14, 2017 12:44PM
Readers here know of Dr. Mandrola. Check the many posts listed at this search
[www.afibbers.org]

including Shannon's published commentary in Medscape
[www.afibbers.org]

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login