Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Iodine?

Posted by George77 
Iodine?
July 25, 2017 08:19PM
Anyone have any experience with this? Pro or Con?

35 years ago I took Kelp tablets for Iodine in the abscence of using salt....stopped taking them though within a year or so because they seemed inconsequential....
It seems like iodine might be a missing link? ( at least for some like myself who may be deficient, I use little to no salt, and rarely ever eat seafood)
Here is the article [www.healthsalon.org]

Another related article!
[theiodineproject.webs.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2017 09:30PM by George77.
Re: Iodine?
July 26, 2017 02:21PM
Hi George77 – Before adding iodine, you should definitely be tested for iodine deficiency but you should also know (first) if your thyroid function range is healthy because if you trend toward hyperthyroidism, then adding extra iodine can cause problems. I've read there is testing for iodine can be done easily by a 24-hour urine collection that doesn't require taking iodine as in a 'challenge' test. That would be the safest.

Jackie
July 26, 2017 02:32PM
I've done the high-dose iodine treatment. (Definition of high dose: 10-20mg per day via Lugols for 6 months.) No side effects, no "bromine detox." I thought it might have been effective, but I'd also started taking berberine at the same time, which I now believe is what held off the AF for 6 months before it came back.

Echoing Jackie about getting your thyroid checked. I monitored thyroid function throughout the high-dose iodine. My TSH went crazy (up to 8+) when on iodine, but fell back to normal ranges when I stopped the treatment. Beyond that, trying iodine seems to be (for me at least) relatively low-risk—supplemental iodine has been around a long, long time and doctors used to prescribe Lugols at higher doses in the past, for a wide range of illnesses. If it works on your AF, that's great. It just didn't work on mine.
July 26, 2017 06:12PM
Thanks for the response...how did the berberine work? I have a bottle of Swansons Berberine, but I'm hesitant to try anything new...
Did you have a positive or negative, or neutral response with Berberine?

(PS, I've mentioned this in another post, I've been on T3 since about 1988-89, always worked perfectly for me, except I got taken off of it in 1999-2000, when my original Dr. passed away at 88 years old, and a new "expert" switched me to T4, I had nothing but problems, and that is when I had my original severe Afib episodes, leading to a successful Ablation in 2000, and getting back onto T3...I've only had a few recent flare ups, AND only in the last 2 years, but that was after being on an arthritis medication which caused severe internal bleeding, 26 units of blood in a 5 week hospital stay....I never had any previous recurrences of any abnormal rhythms except after that 5-week hospital stay, and the 26 units of blood transfused...otherwise I have been perfectly healthy, no Afib or irregularities from 2000 through 2015, had 2 in 2015, got my magnesium levels up and have been good until 2 weeks ago, Potassium was low...3.9, now it's up to 4.2 feeling better and RBC magnesium up to 5.3 my highest yet ...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2017 06:17PM by George77.
July 26, 2017 06:30PM
Berberine, like iodine, didn't have any side effects, nor did I notice any other subjective effects. This was at a dosage of 500mg 3 times per day, with meals. The only effect was a fall-off of AF, beginning the week I started berberine (I was highly symptomatic at the time, having AF more than once every week.) After about a month, the AF went away, and stayed away, for about 6 months. Then it re-emerged, at a frequency of once every week or two. That's when I decided to go for an ablation.

The berberine had significant effects on my health metrics, bringing my A1c down below 5 for the first time in my measurement history, significantly blunting my blood sugar peak after meals containing significant carbs, and knocking my total cholesterol down from the low 200s to 170, while maintaining HDL of 65 and 58 triglycerides. Overall it seems to be a powerful supplement, as long as you don't mind the multiple dosages per day.

Huge warning: berberine interacts with TONS of prescription drugs. I would only take it if I was taking no prescription meds. Be very, very careful and read up on cytochrome p450 inhibitors if you're going to proceed.
July 26, 2017 06:35PM
My FM MD recommends Berberine as support for healthy blood sugar levels, insulin sensitivity and cardiovascular health.. she says 500 mg 3 times a day.... and Michael Murray does also in this report gives his recommendations in this report:

Naturopathic physician, Michael Murray offered this report on berberine as it works to support AMPk activity for healthy metabolism. [doctormurray.com]

Jackie
July 26, 2017 10:12PM
George,

For what it is worth, there was a guy who used to post here that would swear high dose iodine <[www.afibbers.org]

I never tried it I could never sort out the "harmless" contingent from the "harmful" guys on high dose iodine. I've always tried to keep my iodine intake a few times the RDA, but nothing in the many mg range.

George
July 27, 2017 01:11PM
JKAF - thanks for posting that very important warning about numerous interactions with Berberine. Worth checking out if anyone intends to use.

Jackie
August 03, 2017 08:36AM
Hi George77.

For what its worth I have been taking at least 12mg of Lugols iodine, that I make myself and its very easy to do, every day for probably the last three years years with no ill effects to date apart from being in rock solid NSR. I really believe that iodine is the missing link for some afibbers and have read quite a few reports of people finding success by taking iodine, including doctors who have been victims of Afib. It must be noted that the strongest drug for stopping AFib (Amiodarone) has an high content of iodine in the mix and I would guess Big Pharm knows that the iodine is the main ingredient. I understand Jackie's warning to be checked before taking iodine however many afibbers are taking major doses of iodine in their Amiodarone everyday with no checks whatsoever, at least I wasn't.
My wife was told by her doctors that she had the startings of thyroid gland enlargement which led me to iodine in the first place. They told her that she would be OK for a few years but at some stage she would have to have surgery on the gland. 12 months later she was told by her doc that the thyroid had not progressed at all and was more or less all clear however she forgot to tell them she had been on the Lugols iodine since her previous visit.
A simple read up on the 'magical' healing properties of Lugols Iodine will confirm the absolute necessity of iodine for good health especially of the thyroid, the female breast and the male prostate.
P.S. I must state that my nightmare with AFIb/Left Atrial Flutter was ended by ablation No 5 in Bordeaux 2010, I found Lugols Iodine a few years later and am amazed that I never came across iodine in my almost 5 years of trying to find a cure, never knowing that the Amiodarone I was taking was full of the stuff.

Barry G.
August 03, 2017 02:34PM
Hello Barry~ Good to see you posting. I agree with you about the important connection to iodine for many health issues and especially, thyroid. I certainly noticed a difference once I began supplementing with it and was relieved to find that the thyroid nodules which can turn malignant either disappeared or shrunk considerably. I just wish I had known of the iodine connection many years ago when I suffered from fibrocystic breast disease that became so massive and out of control, it resulted in bilateral mastectomy and then a horrific saga after that. All because no one was routinely checking to see if patients were iodine deficient. Even now, unless you're seeing a FM MD (at least in this locale) no one is testing. My current endocrinologist at the CCF who monitors the remaining thyroid nodules does not check for iodine.

As for the Amiodarone precautions, I do know several afibbers who had thyroid issues as well so were monitored very carefully. One had to discontinue the drug because she was trending to hyper-thyroidism and that was causing more afib problems.

It's good to be aware.

Take care and be well,
Jackie
August 03, 2017 10:20PM
Hi Jackie,

sorry to hear of your major struggles with fibrocystic breast disease along with the constant battle with Afib however you still come over as a very vivacious, proactive caring lady via the forum.

Onto the subject of Iodine again. I would advise all to read at least the first link given by George77 above which I read several years ago and which helped convince me, along with many other articles, that iodine had a major part to play in having a smooth heart rhythm. I would add to my previous posting above that Amiodarone stopped my Afib in its tracks within only a few days of 'loading' before the AF stopped. The side effects of being in a what I can only call a twilight world were unacceptable so I would then stop taking it for a while but would seek refuge in it yet again when the Afib attacks of up to 48 hours returned.

Just as an interest I recall that in one of the countless posts/articles by the originator of afibbers.org, Hans Larsen, Hans mentioned that very early in his battle with Afib he reasoned that the body was not in AFib because it was short of the chemicals in Flecainide of Propafenone so how in some cases did they keep Afib at bay to some degree, neither worked for me. If we check the make up of Amiodarone which is the strongest drug against Afib we find that maybe 30% of the drug is iodine but so called toxic iodine, if I remember correctly. I wonder why the iodine is classed as toxic or is this a simple ruse to make the drug patentable as normal iodine is available to all.

Whilst I am on I would mention that apparently there is an Afib epidemic sweeping the western world along with thyroid, breast, prostate issues among many others. In my iodine research it came to my attention that up until the 1960's all baked goods such as bread, cakes and other main foodstuffs were made with the use of iodine however iodine was dropped for some reason and instead the halide Bromide was introduced. Iodine virtually disappeared from the western world food chain. Bromide and Fluoride are halides just as is iodine however both bromide and fluoride overpower and displace iodine in the thyroid gland and no doubt in the female breast and male.prostate gland and many other vital organs including the heart.

Using "Occams Razor" the simplest answer is probably the best, in this case iodine deficiency may well be causing these major health issues in the western populations.

PS. Many years ago there was a regular poster called William, I think, who came up with various statements that were mainly aimed at diet and Afib. I recall that in one very rare post on iodine he informed the original poster that the iodine he was taking was the "wrong" sort and it was no good for eliminating Afib. I never found out what the wrong sort was however I make Lugols Iodine 15% strength much higher than the original Lugols of the 1800s which was at most 5%. Lugols is a simple mix of elemental iodine and iodide and if memory serves correctly it is primarily the iodide that the thyroid wants whereas such as the breast and prostate need the iodine. No doubt just as with Vit C the RDA of iodine intake is nowhere near the bodies actual requirement and as such following the RDA will make no difference at all.

Barry G.
August 04, 2017 09:51AM
Thank you, Barry. Oh, yes... I'm a survivor, and if anything, my horrific ordeal just reinforced my 'zeal' to participate in health support groups because awareness is paramount. That's not my only story so by the time I had to deal with afib, my 'antenna' were tune up and functional so that I didn't have another disaster.

I'm glad to see you posting again and especially pleased to see your emphasis on the destructive halides. There is is a current discussion in the General Forum.. .just moved there that relates to thyroid interference and the impact on overall health and afib as well.

You're absolutely correct about the RDA numbers not being adequate. In the many restorative and functional medicine groups that I follow, that is a common red flag. It's astounding to me that those who develop the RDA guidelines persist on being so antiquated and out of step.

Best to you, Barry and thanks again.
Jackie
August 05, 2017 11:59AM
Timely... Well-known 'iodine guru' David Brownsten, MD writes today in his newsletter about iodine deficiency in the US. Short, important report.

[blog.drbrownstein.com]

Jackie
August 10, 2017 03:32PM
Barry, thanks for your reply... I have been Hypo-thyroid since 18, but was not treated for it until I was 28. I was put on T3 in 1988, along with a fairly high ( but needed) regimen of potassium, and felt in tip-top, great condition, advancements and promotions as a computer systems analyst, life was good, everything was fine....then in 1999 my great and very wise doctor passed away at age 88. A new doctor insisted on T4. When it didn't work, he increased the dosage. Again it didn't work, meaning I was freezing cold all the time and starting to put on a little bit weight, with no change in my diet, and I also felt tired all the time...After being on T4 for less than a year I started with the Afib. My wife drove me to the ER multiple times before they finally caught it on an EKG (very frustrating)...In early 2000 I had an Ablation, and was put back on T3 by my family doctor after he reviewed my history....I was fine until 2015. I slacked off the potassium because I wasn't as physically active ( wrong thing for me to do as I needed the potassium, (my kidneys were tested multiple times, perfect, except I lose more potassium than average) .... anyway part of my early 1980's vitamin supplement regimen included Kelp, that was way back in the 1980's...30 per day which is equal to 6.75 mg of Iodine, but I discontinued them around 1986, because I was told by a well meaning coach that they were "useless".... I've currently obtained some Lugols Iodine (2% to start) , and Iodoral 12.5 mg tabs, but I don't want to jump into either one of those that right away, as that is allot of Iodine to take without getting used to it. I've been using Icelandic Kelp tablets, enough to obtain just about 1.5 mg per day to start... I am planning on increasing the Kelp dose slowly until I reach 6.75 mg per day of Iodine...then I may switch over to Lugols or Iodoral, with another slow increase. I'm not sure which one I will choose, but it will be one, not both. I know it was mentioned that Kelp is innefective but I can FEEL a difference within just 5 days. When I have felt the beginnings of a "flutter" it seems to be very, very faint and lasts no more than 1 second....I've had 1 or 2 of those in the last 5 days....so I think I'm on the right track. Im increasing my time between doses of Diltiazem 120 (time release), with no recurrence of the affib ... I'm up to 42 hours between doses, and will extend it to 48 hrs in the next two days. Thank you for your input, it helped convince me that my research into Iodine was on the right track. I'm not saying this is the answer for everyone, but it seems to be working for me. My regular Doctor thinks because my Potassium and Rbc-Magnesium were in the low end of the normal range , that with continued supplementation to raise both to "optimum" I should be able to get off this "Zombie" drug Diltiazem....really makes me unable to function as an alert and focused human being...Thanks for your time and response...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2017 11:27PM by George77.
August 10, 2017 11:42PM
Jackie, thank you for your great input, from reading allot of posts on here, I've really come to value your experience, knowledge and input. I have Dr. Brownstein's book on Iodine. I just received in the mail today, his DVD entitled "Iodine why you need it, why you can't live without it" ... I'll be viewing that sometime tomorrow. Thanks for your advice, I appreciate very much...
August 11, 2017 02:20PM
Is there any correlation between iodine and Reynaud's syndrome? I've had Reynaud's my entire adult life. I'm sitting in an office building right now with cold fingers, cold nose, cold toes and cold earlobes all because the AC vent is too close (and temp set too low IMO). In the wintertime my fingernails will turn almost solid blue if I'm outside without gloves.
August 11, 2017 03:59PM
Wolfpack... When I checked the index in the Iodine book by David Brownstein, MD - it was not listed... but I'll continue to read in his descriptions of iodine deficiency to see if that comes up.

This short report by Life Extension is worth a read although it doesn't mention iodine deficiency... but magnesium is first in line. winking smiley [www.lifeextension.com]

I did a brief search online for Reynauds and Iodine Deficiency..

One report indicates the herb, Ginkgo biloba is useful... it definitely is useful for helping with lowering the inflammatory process as well as increasing blood circulation via the blood thinning property of Ginkgo... and is typically contraindicated when using Rx blood thinners for that reason.

I also found this ancient study (1980) that indicates a link to thyroid and iodine deficiency in Reynaud's [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

I have many other books and newsletters I can scan to see if that comes up ... let you know.

Jackie

PS - I realize now that the spelling apparently is either Reynaud's or Raynaud's Phenomenon so I started looking again. I found many research reports with interesting information....and anectdotal medical conversations... still looking and reading for a reference to an iodine connection. Glad to share what I have thus far. If you're interested, send me a PM.

J.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2017 06:00PM by Jackie.
August 20, 2017 03:48PM
Sorry this is a late response... but important to continue on the "Iodine Awareness" topic. There is a great book, The Iodine Crisis by Lynne Farrow and another, Salt Your Way to Health, by David Brownstein, MD.

A couple of the testimonials in Ms. Farrow’s book indicate than when using supplemental iodine for various health issues, some patients found it helped with improving atrial fibrillation as well as cardiovascular health. One testimonial also related that iodine supplement helped eliminate Raynaud's. Another, reported that with increasing drops of 5% Lugol's and up to 4 drops a day, he noted fewer arrhythmia episodes. I followed the reference study and came up with this link [iodineresearch.com]

I also checked Dr. Brownstein’s website to see if I could find some useful clips to include here. Found this one by his associate, Sheryl Shenefelt, Certified Nutritionist, on the topic…

" Iodized Salt is sodium that has been isolated, most likely through boiling or washing from the valuable minerals like magnesium, potassium and calcium that it needs to do its job in the body. It is often produced from vacuum evaporation of brine and eleven of the minerals are removed by using chemicals such as sulfuric acid, chlorine and hydrochloric acid. It is then heated to high temperatures of 400 degrees to dry it completely, which changes the molecular structure. Finally, anti-caking agents such as ferrocynide, yellow prussiate of soda, tri-calcium and phosphate are added.

Problems with Iodized Table Salt:
• Produced from vacuum evaporation of brine and ll of the minerals are removed by using chemicals such as sulfuric acid, chlorine and hydrochloric acid.
• The salt is then heated to high temperatures of 400 degrees to dry it completely, which changes the molecular structure of the salt.
• Anti-caking agents such as ferrocynide, yellow prussiate of soda, tri-calcium and phosphate are added.
Characteristics of Celtic Sea Salt®:
• Harvested from clay-lined salt beds, located just off the Northern coastline of France by trained professional salt farmers.
• Sun and wind dry the salt, wooden utensils are used to gather the salt.
• It is carefully sifted to remove natural debris such as small stones or sand and more than 80 vital minerals are left intact.

Benefits of Unrefined Salt (excerpted from The Guide to Healthy Eating):
• Alkalinizing agent (raises pH in the body)
• Balances blood sugar
• Helps relax the body for sleep
• Improves brain function
• Prevents muscle cramps
• Prevents varicose veins
• Prevents osteoporosis
• Regulates blood pressure (if adequately hydrated)
• Thins mucous "
Continue: [sherylshenefelt.com]

Jackie
August 29, 2017 09:10PM
Going on two weeks now with Trace Minerals Iodine (nothing but potassium iodide, no elemental I) @ 225ug/day. I'm sporadically feeling more energy. Nothing constant, but I'll find myself surging after about 4 miles on a run, or tackling a hill on the bicycle only limited by my ability to suck in air. I won't draw any conclusions yet, but I'm cautiously optimistic.
August 31, 2017 12:17PM
Wolfpack - That's a good start. You may eventually need more than the ionic trace minerals, but it's smart to go slowly and see what improves over time.

Jackie
August 31, 2017 06:28PM
Jackie
Benefits of Unrefined Salt (excerpted from The Guide to Healthy Eating):
• Alkalinizing agent (raises pH in the body)
• Balances blood sugar
• Helps relax the body for sleep
• Improves brain function
• Prevents muscle cramps
• Prevents varicose veins
• Prevents osteoporosis
• Regulates blood pressure (if adequately hydrated)
• Thins mucous "

Can you offer evidence to support any of those claims?
September 01, 2017 09:05AM
Yes - continuing from from the hyperlink listed in the previous post:

About Sea Salt:

Many people believe salt is harmful to humans, however, the truth is that we need salt to live! Salt has been vilified by the media and many physicians for causing hypertension and other chronic health disorders. However, according to Dr. Brownstein, author of Salt Your Way to Health, “those criticizing salt have no knowledge of the difference between unrefined and refined salt. It is important to include healthy unrefined salt in your diet and to avoid refined table salt.”

The ratio of minerals that exists in the ocean is the ratio that the body needs. That means that salt brands such as Celtic Sea Salt® are a reliable source for some of the minerals and trace elements necessary for good health. Modern diets do not always provide these nutrients in ample quantities, therefore, use Celtic Sea Salt® as a replacement for common iodized table salt for the nutrient benefits as well as to avoid the problems with iodized salt.

Iodized Salt is sodium that has been isolated, most likely through boiling or washing from the valuable minerals like magnesium, potassium and calcium that it needs to do its job in the body. It is often produced from vacuum evaporation of brine and eleven of the minerals are removed by using chemicals such as sulfuric acid, chlorine and hydrochloric acid. It is then heated to high temperatures of 400 degrees to dry it completely, which changes the molecular structure. Finally, anti-caking agents such as ferrocynide, yellow prussiate of soda, tri-calcium and phosphate are added.
---
(Continue at the URL)

Plus, I have several other resources on the benefits of unrefined salt but don't have the time now to look up and clip the
quotes. It's just a well-known fact in 'holistic' circles
September 03, 2017 10:50AM
This info on iodine deficiency may be of interest for several aspects… including the importance for afibbers to have healthy, normal thyroid function.

Lynne Farrow’s book… The Iodine Crisis … with the forward by iodine expert, David Brownstein, MD, is mostly non-technical and a very useful and interesting compilation of facts and observations including anecdotal testimonies listing health improvements after iodine optimization.

Of course, first on my “interest” list were several comments about atrial fibrillation improvements…not ‘cures’ but improvements in heartbeat irregularities once people began using various forms of iodine.

Another report related improvement in Reynaud’s. (Wolfpack – take note).

The author emphasizes the need for iodine and why it’s no longer available in baked goods and the reason why commercially-produced salt is not helpful; whereas, natural salt from mines or the sea does contain iodine. Up until 1972, iodine was added to commercial bread and flour to help with the goiter epidemic. After that, it was replaced by bromine or actually, potassium bromate. In the body, bromine acts as a iodine ‘stealer’ at the receptor areas so iodine is blocked. So problems continue. The points about iodine deficiency are worth noting and echo that from Dr. Brownstein.

She points out the fallacies or “Scams” about iodized salt and references the report, Iodine Nutrition: Iodine Content of Salt by Dasgupta, et al..which reveals “ the amount of iodine supposed to be in iodized salt and the amount that can actually be measured by the time you use it.” (because of the amount of iodine that’s ‘vaporized’ or ‘sublimed’ into the air.) She notes it takes between 20 and 40 days for an opened container of iodized salt to lose half its iodine.

On the sea salt v. refined salt, she refers to the recommendations of the Iodine Literate Practitioners “who say to use only unprocessed, unbleached, unrefined sea salt, free of anti-caking and bleaching agents such as Celtic Salt, sea salt or Redmond’s Real Salt” which we know include other useful trace minerals as well as natural iodine.

Additional information worth noting is the concern over what the bromine in commercial salt can do to the body by blocking iodine’s function. Halides such as bromide, fluoride and chloride all compete iodine at the cell receptor sites. If they get there first or are in an overabundant supply versus iodine, cells are iodine deficient. It’s a significant problem considering the fluoride and chlorine are typically in most municipal water supplies. Additionally, bromide is in vegetable oils (BVO), some sodas, energy drinks and other foods.

The Iodine Crisis – What You Don’t Know About Iodine Can Wreck Your Health
By Lynn Farrow
Forward by David Brownstein, MD
© 2013
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login