Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Atenolol Users

Posted by hobnober 
Atenolol Users
June 26, 2017 12:24PM
The DR diagnosed me about 4 years ago with A-fib. The Dr. put me on 25 mg of Atenolol. I immediately noticed side effects of dizziness. I told the Dr. and he suggested I cut the dosage in half. That did the trick for that side effect. However, over time I have concerns about other side effects that I don't know if they just come with getting older or that they are tied to the Atenolol. I get tired much easier, I find exercise to be more difficult, a drop in libido and my weight loss attempts have become more difficult. Erections don't come as easy as they did before Atenolol. I also get a dry cough that seems to be caused from tickling in my esophagus that accompanies my A-Fib. Putting the side effects aside. I have not noticed nor can I gauge if the drug has had any positive effect on my A-Fib. I still have occurrences about as often than before Atenolol, the occurrences are associated with already mentioned known triggers but not everytime I experience those triggers. The most common two triggers are dehydration and persistent anxiety. I would like to hear from other Atenolol users as to your thoughts on my concerns. I am wanting to wean myself from this drug and am hoping also to hear from those that have found noticeable positive effects from a supplemental use.
Thanks
Mike
Re: Atenolol Users
June 26, 2017 04:41PM
Oh, Atenolol is one of the worst drugs you can take, Han Larsen the founder of this site has said Atenolol is a bad drug. When I first got AF the MD I went to prescribed Atenolol, I took only a small amount but it made me very tried, I was in the airport one time and had to walk quite a ways and could not do it because the drug made me so weak, I also believe it gave me a first degree heart block, I had to have a pace maker implanted. I wouldn't touch that drug with a ten foot pole, find another doctor, go to a doctor that specialized in the hearts electrical system.

Good luck
Liz
Re: Atenolol Users
July 04, 2017 09:53AM
Hi, Mike. Happy 4th!

Been on atenolol since my AF diagnosis 16 years ago. The med has worked great for me! Started at 50 mg, then reduced to 25 mg two years ago.

Throughout the first 14 years, I worked full-time, exercised regularly (power-walk and strength-train), and sang and played electric bass in an Oldies / Retro band three or four times a month.

Retired two years ago, and continue with my exercise routines (even more faithfully) and perform with the band more than twice as much as previously.

Haven't experienced any negative side effects... actually, atenolol seems to calm me.

Do drink a lot of our forum's mag water, and supplement like many here do.

Suggest you report to / discuss with your doc any continuing issues with the lower dosage. Lots of choices out there for rate control.

All the best!

/L
68.75 yo male / Long-standing Persistent AF / CHADS2 Score of 1 / 5'-7"... 154# / Non-smoker / Extremely low ETOH use

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2017 11:52PM by LarryG.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login