Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First Post: Intro and ?'s

Posted by elo76 
First Post: Intro and ?'s
June 26, 2017 08:17AM
Hello everyone. I’m new to this forum, but not to afib. I just came out of an episode this weekend. It was my 4th one in 4 years. So far it seems as though my trigger is eating/drinking something cold after consuming alcohol. I finally realized this and my next step is fixing that issue.
This last episode started Saturday morning at 5:30am when I woke up and drank some cold water. It lasted until Sunday afternoon when I jumped in a swimming pool. I’m on Toprol XL 50mg. My doc always said if I have an episode to take another 50mg. Well, that worked the first time, but this time an extra 50 didn’t do anything, so I took another 50, still nothing. I think I need to ask him to get me some sort of pill-in-pocket solution to try. I was getting pretty nervous because I’ve never had an episode last that long. These seem to get longer each time and harder to put back with the extra Toprol. Is that something I should do?

Another thing I am going to start doing is supplementing with magnesium. I would definitely say that I’m deficient based on the symptoms. Is this a good idea?

Just a couple things to throw out there to help with any response.
I’m a bodybuilder.
Male, 40yrs
6’0” 220lbs 14%bf
I train pretty intensely, but it has never triggered an episode. I think it actually put me back in rhythm one time.
Sorry for the scattered first post, but there was a lot racing through my mind.
Thanks for any help here. I’m starting to get nervous that I need to get something in place in case of another episode.
Re: First Post: Intro and ?'s
June 26, 2017 12:04PM
The Toprol is a beta blocker, which is a rate control drug. It won't really work to correct the rhythm. It just slows the ventricular response to the fibrillating atria. I wouldn't take too much as it could cause a dangerously low heart rate once you do convert to normal rhythm.

Yes, magnesium supplementation is a good idea. Worst thing that happens is loose stools.

Bodybuilding may actually play a role if AF genesis. Particularly upper body training, like bench press, puts a lot of strain on the heart as it works to pump against constricted chest muscles. It is one reason some doctors advise against it, particularly after an ablation.
June 26, 2017 01:32PM
wolfpack
The Toprol is a beta blocker, which is a rate control drug. It won't really work to correct the rhythm. It just slows the ventricular response to the fibrillating atria. I wouldn't take too much as it could cause a dangerously low heart rate once you do convert to normal rhythm.

Yes, magnesium supplementation is a good idea. Worst thing that happens is loose stools.

Bodybuilding may actually play a role if AF genesis. Particularly upper body training, like bench press, puts a lot of strain on the heart as it works to pump against constricted chest muscles. It is one reason some doctors advise against it, particularly after an ablation.

So should I talk with my doctor to get something to help convert me?
June 26, 2017 04:42PM
Welcome,

It sounds like you are vagal <[www.afibbers.org] So your exercise/intense fitness is likely a trigger, but delayed. The cold water was likely a vagal trigger, same with cold food after alcohol. Being vagal, the Toprol XL 50mg can make the episodes more likely. It may be indicated during an episode if your rate goes to high, but all the time for a vagal afibber is not indicated. Alcohol isn't a trigger for all, but it is a fairly common one.

Exercise can terminate a vagal episode. It worked for me for a while, till it didn't...

Flecainide is a med which can be used on demand to terminate episodes: <Pill in pocket: [www.nejm.org] also see Termination: <[www.afibbers.org]

Supplemental magnesium is a very good idea. Any form but oxide (others have different opinions as to which form is best, but they all work for me).

Detraining may be indicated. Others show up here and don't understand why something "healthy" isn't good for their heart. The answer is training may be good for the plumbing but not for the electrical system. It is well known that chronic fitness dramatically increases the odds for afib in healthy people. This is not to say that all chronically fit people will get afib - maybe 20% will and it likely has a genetic component.

My suggestions:

Reduce or eliminate alcohol and cold food/drink
Increase magnesium, decrease calcium (like from cheese).
Detrain, see <[www.afibbers.org]
Get a flecainide on-demand prescription to convert you ASAP when you go out of rhythm
Stop the Toprol XL

You may not like these ideas. All I can say is with your current low frequency of afib, you have an opportunity for these strategies to work. Doing this now, if successful will pay huge dividends. Most other treatments, if afib continues to progress have costs and are less likely to be successful.

I speak from experience. Chronic fitness was my ticket. I use magnesium (currently 1800 mg/day, as high as 5500 mg/day), which can be to bowel tolerance, I minimized excessive calcium. I avoid endurance training and minimize endurance activities, though am still fit and active (most probably think I push the high end of this) - but I have a very good idea what my limit is. I'm 62 with a body fat percentage of 15. I do use flecainide on demand. I've used it 3 times in the last 4 years for a total of 2.5 hours in afib. I also fast and eat a low glycemic diet <[www.afibbers.org] I've had afib for 13 years and in the first 4 months I had a 2 1/2 month episode. It was after that I created my remission program I continue to use today.

George

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2017 04:42PM by GeorgeN.
June 27, 2017 03:45AM
How cold was the water in the Pool? Or was it warm? Did jumping in the Pool immediately covert you, or did you just happen to notice that you were in NSR sometime later after jumping in?

Why does your Doc want you on Toprol when in NSR? Do you have high BP? You may just need a Beta-Blocker on hand to control your rate if you have another episode. What was your HR during your last episode, when you took 100-150 mg of the Toprol?

As far as being prepared for a next episode, the first step is to control your AF HR. Then if you can find a way naturally to convert back into NSR within 48 hours you may not need a Drug. If you want to try an Rx, Flecainide has worked for others, but I suggest doing research on that Drug before using it, because of the potential for serious side effects.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2017 03:49AM by The Anti-Fib.
June 27, 2017 08:57AM
The Anti-Fib
How cold was the water in the Pool? Or was it warm? Did jumping in the Pool immediately covert you, or did you just happen to notice that you were in NSR sometime later after jumping in?

Why does your Doc want you on Toprol when in NSR? Do you have high BP? You may just need a Beta-Blocker on hand to control your rate if you have another episode. What was your HR during your last episode, when you took 100-150 mg of the Toprol?

As far as being prepared for a next episode, the first step is to control your AF HR. Then if you can find a way naturally to convert back into NSR within 48 hours you may not need a Drug. If you want to try an Rx, Flecainide has worked for others, but I suggest doing research on that Drug before using it, because of the potential for serious side effects.

The pool water was actually 85F. Not too cold at all. It was really hot out that day though. I was sweating when I jumped in.

I would say that it immediately converted me. I felt normal, checked my pulse, and was back in NSR. This was all within 30sec.

The doc originally put me on Lopressor for HBP. It seemed like it made my hair start falling out, so he switched me to Lisinopril. Can't remember the dosage, but he increased it a couple times before putting me on Lisinopril HCTZ. My next visit when I showed up at the doc, I was in AFIB. Prior to this I have never known to have an episode. I keep wondering in the back of my head if some of these meds caused it. What's your thoughts on that?

The cardio doc put me on Toprol XL 100mg once a day. I know it's the same as Lopressor except delayed release, but for some reason didn't bother my hair. Who knows. I was complaining of libido issues so he dropped me to 50mg. I've been there for 3 years now. I quit chewing tobacco 2 years ago and my BP is usually around 125/73 with a HR of 72-80. Prior to all of this, my BP was 135/95. I'm wondering with my lifestyle changes (no chewing, minimal drinking) I can now manage without the meds and just have them on hand.

My last episode my HR was around 102-108. With 150mg of Toprol it was around 80 with a BP of 106/65-67. Can't remember the exact numbers. They are stored on my monitor at home.

Forgot one thing I wanted to add is that I am also taking 20mg of Omeprazole every morning for reflux.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2017 02:01PM by elo76.
June 27, 2017 03:17PM
You should start talking to an electrophysiologist. about an ablation. I was the same as you with episodes coming once a year. It's only going to get worse and medicine and supplements only go so far. You don't want to be taking medications at your age. I had an ablation and it was the best decision I made. A young and fit person like yourself, you should recover in no time. I was back in the gym doing moderate exercise 4 weeks after my ablation. I haven't had a single episode since my ablation.
June 27, 2017 09:01PM
Mag Glycinate, retire from bodybuilding and limit or eliminate the alcohol and stay away from MSG and you might not need the meds
June 28, 2017 10:41AM
Oldticker
You should start talking to an electrophysiologist. about an ablation. I was the same as you with episodes coming once a year. It's only going to get worse and medicine and supplements only go so far. You don't want to be taking medications at your age. I had an ablation and it was the best decision I made. A young and fit person like yourself, you should recover in no time. I was back in the gym doing moderate exercise 4 weeks after my ablation. I haven't had a single episode since my ablation.

But there's the chance it might not work right? I thought the route to go was that an ablation is a last resort.
June 28, 2017 10:43AM
TomC
Mag Glycinate, retire from bodybuilding and limit or eliminate the alcohol and stay away from MSG and you might not need the meds

I can do everything but stop bodybuilding. I've never had it trigger an episode but I've had it convert me back so why would I stop it?
June 28, 2017 03:25PM
There is a chance it won't work but if you are healthy otherwise and you go to a competent EP, there is really no reason why it wouldn't work. Also, the longer you live with afib, the harder it is to treat it. Those medications you are taking are highly toxic and cause liver damage in the long haul. I was taken off the meds a month after my ablation. The best thing to do is consult an EP about it. Good luck...
June 28, 2017 03:34PM
elo76

I can do everything but stop bodybuilding. I've never had it trigger an episode but I've had it convert me back so why would I stop it?

Because it appears you are vagal and it is likely making you more vagal...

When you are vagal the episode is NOT triggered while you are doing the exercise. It is later, and can be much later as in my case. I had an episode two days after running in a 13 mile race starting at 6300' elev. and terminating at 14100'. Exercise performed in the middle of an episode can stop an episode. It did for me, for a while.

I was trying to convey this in my first response to you, I obviously failed and was not clear.

This is from Dr. Andrea Natale, arguably the best afib ablating EP in the world:

Andrea Natale
Tony (not his real name) is a very fit 64 year old man who has a long history of exercise both endurance and particularly with lifting weights.

Dr Natale warned him strongly to never again lift more than 50 to 75 pounds maximum overhead or with bench presses. He can do lighter reps as much as he wants but the excessive weights and particularly at 100 pounds and over is very bad the heart long term.

Dr Natale told us both there in Tony's hospital room the day after the procedure when he was signing the orders to discharge Tony, that every single owner and long time weight lifter/body builders of several large free weight gym franchises all along the coast of California and a good number of them elsewhere across the country had, so far, required either one or more heart valve replacements, and all of them with marked dilated left atriums and almost all with difficult AFIB as a result.

Joe Weider one of the famous fathers of body building died after multiple valve replacements, Arnold Schwartzenegger has had, I believe he said, two valve jobs as well and he rattled off a list of other well known figures in this sport that have severe cardiac disease, and the vast majority with difficult to treat AFIB as well, as a result of greatly overdoing what, in more moderation, is only a good thing.

Dr Natale said when lifting heavy weights, in particular overhead or above the chest in bench press mode, the ventricles are squeezed tight as if a band were wrapped around them when grunting and pressing hard with heavy weights, but the upper atriums then balloon out, as in taking a regular balloon and wrapping your hands around the lower half and then squeezing it will cause the upper part of the balloon to literally 'balloon' out and stretch in the process. The prolonged result of which are greatly dilated left and right atriums often leading to dysfunctional valves and a strong tendency toward persistent AFIB.

You also need to moderate excessive endurance training as well. We have gobs of evidence now that moderate amounts are healthy, fanatical amounts of long term endurance training are highly risky and dangerous when it comes to AFIB and even arteriosclerotic CVD.

In short, as a persistent afibber (and really smart advice for everyone), you must tailor for yourself a more modest exercise program to balance keeping physically fit with not exacerbating your underlying cardiac condition manifesting as persistent AFIB.

From Shannon's post here: <[www.afibbers.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2017 10:58PM by GeorgeN.
June 28, 2017 09:18PM
All of this makes me wonder if I should stop my toning routine of 3 sets of 10 bench presses at 160lb twice a week. I didn't think that was an awful lot.
June 29, 2017 02:54AM
If don't have one already, I recommend getting a BP monitor so you can measure yourself. My BP is fine at home (120/80), but after stressing through traffic, with my car over-heating, I get to the Dr. Office, and I have high BP, like 150/90. You asked about being on the Meds, are you sure your BP was really that high to begin with? Perhaps a trial reducing your Meds is warranted, but be carefull you need to taper off of the BP meds slowly, or you can get a rebound effect, and your BP may rise.

If you continue with the Beta-Blockers, You might try a Cardio-selective Beta-Blocker like Bystolic or Atenolol. They target the Heart, and don't effect the rest of the body as much as the Toprol. Better for Athletes, as if causes less sedation and Muscle relaxation.

I wouldn't quit Body Building or exercising, rather modify your routine to avoid exercises that stretch the Atria. Maybe some research here is prudent. You certainly don't need to do heavy presses overhead to be a weight lifter. I just do body weight with optimal posture on my overhead presses. This maintains those muscle fibers involved, and then I lift heavier on the other stuff. More Isolation vs. compound exercises, will place less acute stress on the Atria.
June 29, 2017 09:16AM
wolfpack
All of this makes me wonder if I should stop my toning routine of 3 sets of 10 bench presses at 160lb twice a week. I didn't think that was an awful lot.

I don't know what the right answer is, but I limit myself to either bodyweight exercises (most of the time) or super slow to failure workouts (Fred Hahn, Doug McGuff, Body by Science) - less frequently. The super slow to failure protocol generally uses less weight since it is continuous loading with very slow movement to failure. I used to carry a lot of weight & muscle on my body, starting my adult life as a noseguard in American college football. I now keep my BMI around 23 with ~15% body fat and look for gymnastic strength. I'm convinced that for me there is a price to pay to carrying a large body mass, even if muscle.

I also do no endurance training. Though am very active. After 13 years, I have a pretty good idea of what limits are for me.
June 29, 2017 09:54AM
The Anti-Fib
If don't have one already, I recommend getting a BP monitor so you can measure yourself. My BP is fine at home (120/80), but after stressing through traffic, with my car over-heating, I get to the Dr. Office, and I have high BP, like 150/90. You asked about being on the Meds, are you sure your BP was really that high to begin with? Perhaps a trial reducing your Meds is warranted, but be carefull you need to taper off of the BP meds slowly, or you can get a rebound effect, and your BP may rise.

If you continue with the Beta-Blockers, You might try a Cardio-selective Beta-Blocker like Bystolic or Atenolol. They target the Heart, and don't effect the rest of the body as much as the Toprol. Better for Athletes, as if causes less sedation and Muscle relaxation.

I wouldn't quit Body Building or exercising, rather modify your routine to avoid exercises that stretch the Atria. Maybe some research here is prudent. You certainly don't need to do heavy presses overhead to be a weight lifter. I just do body weight with optimal posture on my overhead presses. This maintains those muscle fibers involved, and then I lift heavier on the other stuff. More Isolation vs. compound exercises, will place less acute stress on the Atria.

I do have a BP monitor and check myself frequently. It's always ok at home and also at the doc. When I was first diagnosed with high BP I was really nervous, drank more and used smokeless tobacco. I now have a few drinks on the weekend and quit chewing 1.5yrs ago. I'm wondering if I could get by without meds now. I have my appt coming up in September with the cardio doc and I have alot of questions for him now.

Up until now he just checked my BP, told me to be a good boy and he'll see me in 6 months. Telling him I had an episode really didn't phase him. He always says to take another Toprol if it happens. Maybe I need a new doc or look for an electrophysiologist.
June 29, 2017 10:49AM
wolfpack

Wolfpack, Consider the TRX body weight resistance system both George and I use and the slow to failure with less weight is a good option too, though I would minimize heavy bench or overhead presses of any kind, especially those with a significant AFIB history including any degree of LA dilation.

Dr Natale told me years ago about his extended experience ablating so many pro body-builders and many of the owners of the heavy iron gyms along the west coast who not only nearly all had AFIB but most had had one or more valve replacement procedures too from the constant overload from bench and over head presses, intense very heavy squats.

When under such intense strain these heavyweight presses create, the thicker muscles on the lower ventricular walls contract like being wrapped in, and squeezed by, a thick rubber band while all that force gets instantly transferred to the relatively thin-walled RA and LA that balloon out and upward just like blowing up a balloon held tightly in your hand would while leaving open the space between thumb and forefinger in your fist. The top half of the balloon can pop out the top of your partly open hand and stretch out all the way to bursting if we are taking about a thin-walled rubber balloon. The Atria won't burst, of course, but it will stretch over time and under constant heavy strain like these presses definitely create.

In addition to a dilated left and right atria, which is an absolute major risk factor for AFIB and progression of AFIB, years of this kind of excess strain on the atria and ventricles can lead to stretching and malformation of the mitral and/or tricuspid valves often leading to valve replacement surgery, which can, and does, also often lead to AFIB.

Dr Natale has urged me to get the word out on the dangers of too heavy and too prolonged pumping of chest and overhead presses with heavy iron, and especially when pressing too heavy weights to failure repeatedly.

You can still maintain a strong and very well-toned body even when moderating these few exercises ... and for us Afibbers already ... it's really not smart at all to continue with max intensity heavy weight presses and squats.

Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2017 04:34PM by Shannon.
June 29, 2017 03:41PM
From <[afibbers.org]

Dr. Coumel was the first EP to hypothesize about vaga vs. adrenergic triggers to afib.

Prof Philippe Coumel MD
“It is known that in well-trained people suffering from vagal AF, the first step of therapyshould be deconditioning by discontinuing high-level training. It may be sufficient to bring about an improvement in the patient and it is often a necessary adjuvant to facilitate pharmacological therapy.”

“Not only are beta-blockers ineffective, [for vagal afibbers] but they usually make patients worse and inhibit the efficacy of antiarrhythmics.”

“Excessive training is harmful when it exaggeratedly modifies the ANS balance beyond the sympathetic and parasympathetic physiological values. It is a major mistake to think that the man in the street must be as trained and fit as the professional sportsman. Any common sense driver knows that if he wants to make his car last, he must avoid handling it as a rally or Formula One driver"

From Hans Larsen's (the founder of this site) first book <[www.yourhealthbase.com]
Philippe Coumel
Dr. Philippe Coumel of the Lariboisiere Hospital in Paris discovered in 1982 that a dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system plays a major role in LAF. He found that there are two varieties of paroxysmal LAF, an adrenergic form and a vagal form[4,5].

Vagal type LAF is associated with an overactive parasympathetic (vagal) nervous system and is often observed in athletes and people with digestive problems. It is most common among men aged 40 to 50 years. The commonest feature is that of weekly episodes, lasting from a few minutes to several hours. The essential feature is the occurrence of episodes at night, often ending in the morning. Rest, digestive periods (particularly after dinner), and alcohol consumption are also predisposing factors. Exercise or emotional stress does not trigger the arrhythmia. On the contrary, on feeling the sensation of an oncoming episode (repeated atrial premature beats), many patients have observed that they can prevent an episode by exercising, but the relaxation period that follows an exercise effort or an emotional stress frequently coincides with the onset of vagal LAF.

If you do a search on "j shaped curve exercise benefit" <[www.google.com]: You'll see many examples where a little is good and too much is harmful Where the optimal point is will vary from person to person.

My approach was to find a spot where afib was in near total remission by detraining a lot. Then work up to find the point that was too much. Of course electrolytes were also a part of my remission strategy.
June 29, 2017 09:40PM
I should mention that the 160lb is a light load for me. I can almost "toss" it up and catch it. Certainly I'm not working to exhaustion. I will NOT do "pyramids", where one steadily increases weight until only 1 or 2 reps can be made.

And, George, Dr Coumel's article (which I've read before) describes me TO A TEE. Many say AF is random, but you could've set your watch by mine. Every night at 9:00, and every morning at 11:00 - a few hours after a run, courtesy of the betas! I finally settled on a regimen of propafenone and beer, which held me in rhythm until the ablation. Like I've said before, don't ANYONE ever try this. What worked for me has more to do with my statistical outlier nature than anything else. I'm just glad it's in the rear view mirror and hope it stays there!

Best of luck to the thread poster as well. You'll get through this.
June 30, 2017 08:13AM
I'm glad I came here. I'm learning alot! I wish I started researching on my own earlier.

Should I start with talking with my current doc and bringing up some of the points you guys have discussed or look for an EP? I would like to discuss taking me off the beta blocker. I'm betting he doesn't even know that my afib is vagal. Heck...I didn't know till I came here. It seems like as long as my BP is ok, he does nothing. Even if I tell him I had an episode. He keeps saying to take another Toprol.
June 30, 2017 09:11AM
I find this information about weightlifting and AFIB (and other cardiac disease) interesting, but not very informative.

What is the evidence for comparing professional body builders and weight lifters with those who undertake far less intensive efforts? In particular, what evidence is there for restricting to 50 - 75 lbs in overhead or bench presses? It seems these numbers must be age, gender and risk specific. If so, what are more general guidelines? There is plenty of statistical evidence for the relationship between endurance training and AFIB, but apparently not weight lifting. Also, in the case of the OP, has he had some imaging and testing done to determine the extent (if any) of atrial dilation and valve disfunction?

I am 61 and have been in remission from paroxysmal AFIB for over 1 year, due apparently to dietary and exercise changes (scaling back the latter, especially running). I lift twice a week and do body weight exercise a third day, and also run twice a week (different days). I weigh 165 lbs and bench 10 reps of 185 (final set of 3 progressively heavier sets ). This is not hard for me, and I have normal atrial diameter. What is hard is doing 20 pull-ups. It is the closest thing I do to failure. To me, common sense suggests routine exercise to failure is a poor choice, and probably more so with heart disease, hypertension, etc..
June 30, 2017 09:35AM
safib
To me, common sense suggests routine exercise to failure is a poor choice, and probably more so with heart disease, hypertension, etc..

First, as I noted in one of my posts, I think everyone needs to find what their limits are. Being in remission is a good indication what you are doing is working for you and is a place people need to find before finding their limits. In my case, I was in afib 57% of the time during the first 4 months I had afib 13 years ago. My record in the last more than 4 years is being in afib 0.0007% of the time. That being said, I have pushed my limit during that time. I routinely ski hard - a normal day for me is >30,000' and as much as 62,000' vertical off-piste on the steeps. One powder day in April 2016, I added hiking with my skis (at 12,500') for additional vertical to each lap. Felt good, however the hiking is more demanding than just skiing. So I ended up in afib when I sat down after coming home, eating dinner and washing dishes (a classic vagal trigger). I immediately caught it on my AliveCor device, took and chewed flecainide, also consumed powdered mag citrate and converted in about 10 minutes and confirmed the conversion on the AliveCor. Obviously adding in hiking to each lap was a bad plan for me.

I do handstand pushups and have not had an issue.

In my opinion, the super slow to failure approach is actually not stressful to the system because the load is relatively low (at least for me). It does activate the whole range of muscle fibers. For me short duration high intensity, like Tabatas cause no issues. My issue appears to be how long the intensity lasts. Long duration endurance activity is a ticket to afib for me. When I was hiking on each of my laps, it pushed me into this zone.
June 30, 2017 12:50PM
elo76

Should I start with talking with my current doc and bringing up some of the points you guys have discussed or look for an EP? I'm betting he doesn't even know that my afib is vagal.

Most of us went the cardiologist route with an EP referral. EPs are more specialized and aren't really a doctor you can check in with routinely.

Some cardios don't understand/believe in adrenergic vs vagal. They'll treat it the same. If that's the case, get a better cardio.
June 30, 2017 01:54PM
wolfpack
Should I start with talking with my current doc and bringing up some of the points you guys have discussed or look for an EP? I'm betting he doesn't even know that my afib is vagal.

Most of us went the cardiologist route with an EP referral. EPs are more specialized and aren't really a doctor you can check in with routinely.

Some cardios don't understand/believe in adrenergic vs vagal. They'll treat it the same. If that's the case, get a better cardio.

If you can access an EP, that is best. The cardio #2 told me he didn't believe in adrenergic vs vagal and that digoxin was his favorite med (this was 13 years ago). I already learned enough to know that digoxin was contra indicated for vagal afibbers. We'd have hour long "discussions." He got frustrated (get this guy out of here...) and referred me to his EP partner who, after I told him my presentation, he said, "you are obviously vagal and there are certain meds we won't prescribe for you." I had to bite my tongue to keep from suggesting he needed to give his partner an in-service to bring him into the present.
June 30, 2017 03:43PM
Thanks for the replies. So I will try to have a conversation with my cardio on my next appt. If that fails...I got a name of an EP from a guy at work that had an ablation.

I just don't understand how a doc could have me on something that is possibly aggravating my condition.
June 30, 2017 11:15PM
elo76
Thanks for the replies. So I will try to have a conversation with my cardio on my next appt. If that fails...I got a name of an EP from a guy at work that had an ablation.

I just don't understand how a doc could have me on something that is possibly aggravating my condition.

As for EPs, seek out the best possible provider that you can find given your situation. Even if that means travel.

Remember that cardiologists are essentially "plumbers". They fix blocked coronary arteries that lead to heart attacks. You don't have that (as best as I can tell via an Internet forum). An EP is an "electrician". They fix wires. Wiring problems are always less obvious and trickier to fix than plumbing problems. Such is life.
June 30, 2017 11:33PM
GeorgeN
The cardio #2 told me he didn't believe in adrenergic vs vagal.

So did my first cardio. He's the one who put me on betas that made the AF worse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2017 09:07AM by wolfpack.
July 01, 2017 02:19AM
wolfpack

As for EPs, seek out the best possible provider that you can find given your situation. Even if that means travel.

Remember that cardiologists are essentially "plumbers". They fix blocked coronary arteries that lead to heart attacks. You don't have that (as best as I can tell via an Internet forum). An EP is an "electrician". They fix wires. Wiring problems are always less obvious and trickier to fix than plumbing problems. Such is life.

There are different types of EP's. Some like Natale specialize in doing Procedures, and are too busy for routine care. Other EP's are more of a Clinic Dr, and are much more accessible. It used to be said that only 10% of EP's did Ablations, but that is probably much higher now. Obviously, if you are going to get an Ablation, you want the best guy you can get. But if your not to that point yet, an EP that doesn't fill his time doing Ablations will be better to help you. If it was me, I would go for a local EP with a good reputation, that is easy to get to and accessible, then if I decided to get an Ablation, I would then travel to someone like Natale.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2017 02:26AM by The Anti-Fib.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login