Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Almost 2 years afib free

Posted by alangford 
Almost 2 years afib free
June 05, 2017 02:42PM
Hi all -

This July will be two years since my ablation with Dr. Natale in Austin, TX. Still afib free and off all meds. I remain active. I finished my second half marathon couple months ago and lift weights 4 days a week. I did try to drink a beer recently one afternoon and got some PACs or PVCs that evening (after almost a year with no palpitations at all). Alcohol has always been a trigger and I had avoided for almost 6 years. Stinks. I was really hoping I could have just 1 but it's not worth it. I'm curious about the how and the why. How does 1 beer throw off the heart like that. Very strange.

Hope everyone is doing well. Cheers!
Re: Almost 2 years afib free
June 06, 2017 03:04AM
Great to hear from you again Alangford!

And it's super to hear you are doing as well as I expected you would!

The thing with alcohol in afibbers (see recent Alcohol and AFIB thread), especially those who found it to be a trigger prior to ablation, is that their ability to imbibe after a successful post ablation is also variable. Many can have a beer or two or a glass of wine or two periodically without much, is any issue. And yet, a significant number of former afibbers still find that even modest alcohol consumption just tends to bring on too many runs of ectopy for comfort and peace of mind.

The bottomline is that alcohol is mildly cardiotoxic and thus potentially affecting pacing cells to a minor, moderate or greater degree depending on amount and frequency consumed and likely some genetic factors thrown into the equation as well. So it's still back to an experiment of one for each afibber, but I highly suggest that former afibbers after successful restoration of durable NSR, should always keep any alcohol use on the moderate to limited scale and keep it on the ocassional side of the frequency coin too.

Many of us just lost the taste for alcohol during our many years of enforced abstinence during our active AFIB years when for so many here include yours truly a single beer or glass or two if nice wine was a very high risk affair for a visit from the beast! And so even for those who can tolerate limited consumption, and of course it is fine, a word to the wise is to keep it relatively limited and not just assume drinking frequently as a former Afibber is benign over the long haul.

Best wishes, Shannon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login