Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Another concern post ablation

Posted by jlm33990 
Another concern post ablation
April 28, 2017 12:49PM
Hello again-
In addition to the elevated heartbeat which I mentioned in my previous post, I've also had significant GI aftereffects from the ablation. Much more troublesome than the elevated HR (which I now understand is expected).
For 6 weeks after the ablation I had a terrible time with GERD, daily, very painful episodes. This resolved in ~6 weeks, thankfully. The GERD manifests itself in my case as very sharp pain mid-chest, sternum area, radiating out the back.
I've had GERD for about 10-15 years but only have 2-3 episodes a year and usually a result of diet mistakes.
After the ablation, every day no matter what I ate for 6 weeks.
I also became bloated with a full stomach very easily and this still happens to this day although not as often.
Whats really got me concerned now is very painful aches in the stomach which developed after the GERD went away. It's not frequent but has me worried that I may have an ulcer brewing or something worse.
I've been told that the GI nerves can be aggravated as a result of the ablation by Dr Natale's nurse but this seems a bit too much and makes me wonder if I should take some action.
Thanks again.
-Jim
Re: Another concern post ablation
April 28, 2017 01:48PM
Hi Jim - If you haven't read the report titled, No More Heartburn...
go here and note the first item mentioned... DGL... but also continue through the entire report to compare symptoms.
[www.afibbers.org]

Consider trying the chewable DGL tablets by Natural Factors
[il.iherb.com]

Many years ago I had a problem with GERD and eventually learned that I was low in nutrients that help produce natural stomach acid... and I took supplements including B12, B6 and zinc, took digestive enzymes; but I also found during the process, the DGL chewables really helped significantly.

There is also the systemic connection to overall alkaline body tissue that helps support and insure natural stomach acid production. You can read more on that at the Alkalinity post...with section VI on GERD... and by making and using daily, continually, the magnesium bicarbonate concentrate/water which we call WW....

Alkalinity post [www.afibbers.org]

WW recipe post [www.afibbers.org]

Let me know if you have questions.

Best to you,
Jackie
April 28, 2017 02:24PM
Jackie-
Thanks for the help. I have ordered DGL. Hope it helps.
As I said GERD was a minor, very infrequent problem for me before the ablation.
Since the ablation I've had multiple GI problems, very frequent.
Is this normal? Do others have GI problems after ablation? Like the heart rate issue, can I expect this to also subside?
-Jim
April 28, 2017 04:58PM
Jim - Over the years, others have posted about GERD problems after ablation. It didn't bother me but probably because I had already been doing all those remedies to help. The reflux is one issue... can you elaborate more on the other GI issues? What meds are you currently taking? Are they recently new and related to the ablation procedure?

J
April 28, 2017 06:16PM
Jackie-
As I said the GERD has subsided and been replaced with stomach pain. I'm concerned I may be developing an ulcer.
It seems as if the acid production is up since the ablation or the digestive process has slowed.
My eating habits have not changed.
-Jim
April 29, 2017 09:38AM
Jim - The DGL should help relieve symptoms but you should be tested to rule out H. pylori infection and other potential causes such as gluten sensitivity, as one example. Eliminating the cause of the gastric irritation is top priority.

One of our former afibbers eliminated her afib by correcting an H.pylori infection. See [www.afibbers.org]

Jackie
smb
May 01, 2017 02:49PM
Hi Jim,

I have not had an ablation, but, during a couple of my AFib episodes I was on Eliquis and Xarelto. Both effected my stomach and I had to take a daily Prilosec to relieve the ulcer-like pain. I imagine you are taking some form of blood thinner after your ablation? Might that be the cause?

steve
May 01, 2017 03:29PM
steve-
Very good point and something I have also wondered about, could the eliquis be the cause of my stomach pain? If so, it took 2 months to manifest, but I suppose thats possible. Hopefully I'll be off the eliquis soon, I waiting for a holter monitor to confirm.
I have been taking eliquis, 5mg twice a day for 3.5 months.
Thanks.
-Jim
May 01, 2017 04:07PM
Jim and Steve - good point about the Eliquis side effects. The website, Medschat.com has some comments about stomach distress, pain, swelling, bloating and gas. I didn't have that but had plenty of other nasty side effects... still present even with the half dose. If the solution is yet another drug, I'm not pleased with that at all.

[www.medschat.com]

Jackie
May 01, 2017 07:54PM
Jim, are you taking your meds with food? I had the same problem after my recent ablation and the food helped the problem. You could also try a Lasic pill with food to help get rid of that heavy feeling in your chest....could be too much fluid....just my opinion for what its worth
Tom
May 04, 2017 02:28PM
Tom-
Thanks for the feedback.
I take my morning dose soon after breakfast but the evening dose I take 3 hours after my last meal.

I still think this is ablation related, maybe a touch of gastroparesis. Everything started almost immediately after the ablation. I had been using eliquis for six weeks prior. My troubles seem to result from the act of eating, GERD, distention, belching and stomach pain. Dr Natales office said that GI nerves can become aggravated during the ablation. I'm assuming that would be the vagus nerve. It seemed to be improving until I developed stomach pains after the GERD resolved. I believe citrus may have been the root case of multiple painful stomach episodes.
I think I just need to be very careful with what and how much I eat until this fully heals. Hopefully it will!
-Jim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login