Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

body problems being treated caused fewer PVC's: anyone else experience this?

Posted by Carol 
body problems being treated caused fewer PVC's: anyone else experience this?
April 25, 2017 03:17PM
Since my husband Dave had an ablation for a-fib done by Dr. Svinarich, on Nov. 21, 2016, but Dave's insurance (Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield) forced my hubby to change plans to "Pathways", Dr. Svinarich is NOT included to be covered by the new health insurance plan!

So, we went to see Dr. Sri Sundaram, another electrophysiologist, in the Denver area. We saw Dr. Sundaram yesterday (Monday), and we had mixed feelings about him. He was nice, but not flexible (was wound tight). He doesn't like holistic health, and thinks the use of Magnesium is not holistic--it's allopathic, because it can be "prescribed"! He doesn't believe that holistic anything can successfully treat a-fib!

Recently, Dr. Svinarich had recommended that Dave take a total of 800 mg. of Magnesium, orally, throughout the day, in the form of Magnesium malate.

Dr. Sundaram said that was way too much, and recommended only 250 mg. of Magnesium, to be taken once, along with Potassium sources (like Coconut water or raisins or V8 juice).

I think Dave is going to try taking his Magnesium along with a Potassium source, but, probably won't decrease the amount of Magnesium as much (yet) as Dr. Sundaram recommended.

----------------------

Dave very recently had an interesting experience, that Dr. Sundaram poo poo'd, as not having any relevance, but Dave and I think it DOES have relevance: Here it is:

Recently, Dave has had a lot of pain from tendinitis, sciatica, etc., and an eclectic (unconventional) Physical Therapist in our area (Steve), did some unconventional treatments on Dave, that Steve, the PT (Physical Therapist) had learned from studying all over the globe, over a period of years.

These (miniature jack-hammer-like) treatments, plus chiropractic-like adjustments, to relieve legs pushing too hard into hips, relieved a lot of Dave's work-related pain, and Dave noticed that simultaneously, his irregular heart rate (bigemini, lots of PVC's) post ablabtion, has now greatly diminished/lessened!

Anyone else have opinions about Denver area EP's & also about the connection between one's bodily problems being helped, causing fewer PVC's?

Sincerely, Carol (Dave's wife)
cell: 970-531-5000
[cantbreathesuspectvcd.com]
Re: body problems being treated caused fewer PVC's: anyone else experience this?
April 25, 2017 06:13PM
Hello Carol - Regarding this post and your initial post, I first want to welcome you and Dave to our group.
Very sorry to read about Dave's struggles.

I'll comment first on the new EP based on my own experiences and observations when mentioning functional or nutritional medicine versus allopathic medicine. I've had over 21 years to research and deal with afib since my initial onset. The one thing I learned early on was not to discuss anything that would be considered a "natural" healing aid as typically, that was viewed as 'voodoo' medicine unless you are seeing a nutritional medicine practitioner. It doesn't pay to use up appointment time talking about the supportive nutrients needed to maintain health because that's typically not in their education although some that are exposed to patients who rely on heart nutrient support seem to be at least tolerant of the concept. Otherwise, it can be a frustrating experience.

If you can spend time here via the search feature and various posts on the benefits of magnesium, potassium and other nutrients that help the heart, you’ll find an abundance of support on the importance of the core electrolytes in helping manage arrhythmias, PACs and so forth. Since everyone is different in age and stages of health and other issues that can influence arrhythmia, there is no set rule for dosing but as you’ll learn, some people do well with a small amount of magnesium (for instance) and others need high doses…depending on many factors. Therefore, we often say, “we are experiments of one.” That said, we can all help guide you to reports and posts that may be useful references for Dave. It’s extremely important to pay attention to diet, ideal weight, silent inflammation, alcohol consumption and chemical additives in food that can be excitatory…just to mention a few influences. It's also well known that sleep apnea can cause afib and excess weight can cause apnea and afib even w/o apnea.

On the body work that gives Dave relief, I’ve had a variety of those types of treatments myself and all of them helped to various degrees. When you are no longer in pain, the stress hormones are also diminished and that’s a good thing overall and obviously, good for the heart. We need to eliminate as many stressors as possible.

I’ll be happy to direct you to reports that Dave may find helpful if you like. Just let me know.

Kind regards to you both,
Jackie
Re: body problems being treated caused fewer PVC's: anyone else experience this?
April 25, 2017 06:55PM
Hi Jackie,

Thank you for your helpful replies! Interestingly, Dr. Svinarich IS very much into holistic treatments, contrasting with Dr. Sundaram, who is of the "la la la I can't heeear you", docs, when it comes to holistic health.

Your explanation of how getting rid of pain (sciatica, arthritis) IS connected via hormones, to heart health, was enlightening, and makes sense!

Because I used to be a nurse, I'm not intimidated by the narrow minded frame of reference of too many docs--and I figure they need to be exposed to something new in their medical experiences--namely, holistic health! (even if their noses point skyward, accompanied by a disdainful look, when they hear the annoying words "health food store"...)

Do you or anyone else here have any experiences with Dr. Sundaram, other than with his ability to do a-fib ablations?

Jackie, it was this excellent website here, that first (about 10 years ago) got Dave onto Magnesium (glycinate back then, now malate), and food sources of Potassium, back when Hans was still running the website--and coming full circle, we're baaack! :-)

Sincerely, Carol (Dave's wife)
cell: 970-531-5000
[cantbreathesuspectvcd.com]
April 25, 2017 07:42PM
Hi Jackie,

Dave would like to ask you your opinion of what Dr. Sundaram recommended, namely, taking Magnesium at the SAME time as taking Potassium, rather than at different times.

Also, Dave thinks that his sciatica was due to a pinched nerve, and that perhaps when the nerve was not pinched anymore, due to Steve's work on Dave, that maybe this had a positive effect on his heart rhythm. He asks, "What do you think about this, Jackie?".

We will let you know if we have any additional questions.

Thanks again, Jackie!

Sincerely, Carol & Dave
April 25, 2017 07:47PM
Hi Carol,

I recall talking with you years ago about Dr. Svinarich.

My personal opinion is most docs don't know much about supplements. It was Svinarich that bought into my afib remission program which relies primarily on magnesium to bowel tolerance. It was my idea and all Svinarich did was prescribe flecainide on demand. I came up with the rest.

Docs are consultants whose advice is to be considered. I can take their advice or not. Svinarich had a partner I saw before him that told me digoxin was his favorite med. I refused to take it.

If Sri Sundaram told me to take only 250 mg of mag a day, I would do something different. But that's just me.

George
April 26, 2017 06:16AM
Dr Joel Wallach believes pinched/crushed spinal nerves causes Afib.

I'm still experimenting with that approach. I had a bulging disk beneath the shoulder blades that has since more or less gone. Other issues involved too that had to be dealt with, which will take time.

I'm wary of mentioning much about my particular approach as it has been too extreme getting the back re-aligned. Recently, after irritating the spine I had a really doozy Afib session. (One gets desperate after 20 years.) Results good otherwise, but still too early to be definitive as Afib tends to come and go.

If your interested, search my previous posts for the Wallach basics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2017 06:34AM by phill.
April 26, 2017 05:53PM
Hi Phill - I was pleased to see the mention of Joel Wallach. I’ve been a fan for many years and attended two presentations when he was on the circuit talking about “Dead Doctor’s Don’t Lie.” Back then, he was moving from veterinary medicine and expanding to holistic medicine and has since become a Naturopathic physician who was recognized in 2015 with an Achievement Award. [thetruthaboutyourhealth.weebly.com]

Coincidentally, just today, I was listening to a recorded talk about various nutrients for underlying inflammation and the physician presenting mentioned that using Acetyl L-carnitine helped in cases of crushed or damaged spinal discs. He said that it helped to reduce both inflammation and the nerve pain associated with that type of injury. The caveat mentioned was: because ALC is energizing, it’s best to take earlier in the day so it doesn’t prevent sleep. The doctor mentioned that there were studies supporting this. You can probably do a search on PubMed.

Also, this report talks about reversing nerve damage with ALC.
[www.institutefornaturalhealing.com]

Jackie
April 26, 2017 08:31PM
Just 3 weeks ago when I was seeing a massage therapist my heart went into some weird flutter/fib for about 15-20'seconds when she was working my neck muscles. Stopped as soon an she moved on. So I'd say, yes, your nerves in the neck and back can absolutely be pro-arrhythmic.

I think Med school has its equivalent of a "senior skip day". That would be the day where they teach that all the stuff in the human body is, in fact, connected! winking smiley
April 27, 2017 07:48AM
(Excuse for being somewhat off topic.)

Hey Jackie,

I take L-Carnitine, but did not know it could make sleep difficult if taken later in the day.

I read one of your posts last year about dairy providing excess calcium. Dairy? I love my dairy! After recently getting Death by Calcium by Thomas Levy (which you talked about) it makes me strongly suspect whether the sizeable quantity of dairy I've consumed for decades has caused calcium to leach from the bones, accelerating age-related degeneration of the spinal discs, which then impacts the spinal nerves (that Wallach says is behind Afib).

I've cut 97% of my dairy consumption as of the last two months, so it will be interesting to see how things pan out. (No more Calcium supplements that I took for 6 months. They always made me feel peculiar.) Others have remarked how much I've improved. I probably used to look like a drowned cat! I certainly used to feel like one.
April 27, 2017 09:10AM
Hi Phill - The excess calcium is very much 'on topic'....as it is a stimulator of Afib. Since calcium (excitatory) dominates over magnesium (relaxing) inside the cell, it's especially important that heart cells have more magnesium and just enough calcium for proper functionality. That's why magnesium supplements are important.

When I first began experiencing Afib, I was taking calcium supplements because all post-menopausal women are traditionally instructed to take calcium to protect bone health. I quickly put 2 and 2 together when I would experience short bursts of Afib that coincided with taking my daily calcium dose. What I didn't do enough of (then) was add plenty of magnesium but I eventually changed that as well.

You'll get adequate calcium if your diet is high in veggies such as spinach and many others including various fruit and nuts. If you do consume dairy, it should be organic since there are many undesirables in the non-organic products.

Vitamin D is important for bone health... specifically D3 cholecalciferol... along with taking the supplement of vitamin K2 in the forms of Menaquinone 4 and 7 which helps direct circulating calcium in the blood into bone where it belongs and not into soft tissues making calcium deposits from excess. There are many other benefits of vitamin D - especially heart related. I'm putting together a report on the many other vitamin D benefits for heart health....and eventually, I'll post it here.

Jackie
wolfpack
Just 3 weeks ago when I was seeing a massage therapist my heart went into some weird flutter/fib for about 15-20'seconds when she was working my neck muscles. Stopped as soon an she moved on. So I'd comparateur assurance chat say, yes, your nerves in the neck and back can absolutely be pro-arrhythmic.

I think Med school has its equivalent of a "senior skip day". That would be the day where they teach that all the stuff in the human body is, in fact, connected! winking smiley

Hello!
I have the same problem but the solution i fiubd here didn't work with me as well as with the others.
Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login