Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OCEAN study

Posted by Murray L 
OCEAN study
April 20, 2017 10:02AM
Anyone familiar with the OCEAN study on blood thinners and strokes and want to share experiences or opinions? My EP has switched me from Warfarin to Xiralto two weeks ago and has invited me to take part in this study. Part of the deal is an implanted heart monitor that records events (ANY) and downloads them via Bluetooth and WiFi each night wirelessly. Am told implant takes only a few minutes and the unit stays implanted for several years. Thoughts. I have been NSR since my ablation a year ago but Dr. Verma has kept me on a minimal dose of Tikosyn as once you stop taking it you cannot start again in Ontario (anyone know why?). In Ontario the medication is free.

On another topic some of you will recall I had an accident that fractured my spine two years ago and was being supervised by Dr. M. Shamji, a top ranked neurosurgeon in Canada. Dr. Shamji is presently incarcerated for allegedly murdering his wife and I am waiting a year to be reassigned to another neurosurgeon. I feel like that character in Peanuts with the perpetual cloud over his head.

Hope everyone is managing.

Murray L

Murray L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tikosyn uptake Dec 2011 500ug b.i.d. NSR since!
Herein lies opinion, not professional advice, which all are well advised to seek.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2017 10:04AM by Murray L.
Re: OCEAN study
April 21, 2017 10:48AM
sorry never heard of it. keep us posted.
May 02, 2017 04:58AM
Hi Murray,

Good to hear from you! I have not heard of the Ocean study in AFIB and OAC drugs but it sound like they are implanting a Reveal LINQ implantable loop recorder (ILM) by Medtronics to keep track of every heart beat during the study to monitor long term heart rhythm and impact of OAC on stroke/TIA and I presume bleeding risk over time.

Here is some more info on the likely ILR in question. Medtronics Reveal LINQ.

On a side note I referred a new Afibber to Dr Verma at Southlake Regional in Newmarket Ontario recently and the gentleman sees Dr Verma this Thursday for his consult for AFIB ablation.

Be well,
Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2017 05:00AM by Shannon.
May 06, 2017 11:58AM
Hi Shannon!
Your referral to Dr. Verma will do well and feel the confidence that Dr. Verma exhudes. He is one heck of a guy and a great doctor as well. The only issue in Ontario is the wait time, especially if you get to see the best. Dr. Verma is keeping me on a minimal dosage of Tikosyn as in Ontario the drug is free for current users and if you stop using it you cannot restart in Ontario but must go stateside and pay huge money for it. Have not figured this out yet.
Murray

Murray L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tikosyn uptake Dec 2011 500ug b.i.d. NSR since!
Herein lies opinion, not professional advice, which all are well advised to seek.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login