Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tamiflu

Posted by wolfpack 
Tamiflu
March 20, 2017 06:26PM
Any thoughts on taking this? My 6-year old has the flu and gifted it to me. I've got a 5-day RX but haven't taken it yet.
Re: Tamiflu
March 20, 2017 08:08PM
Hi Wolfpack,

You have to jump on the Tamiful quickly after you get first symptoms for it to have best odds of helping. It also can depend on the strain of flu this year whether of not you'll get a decent response. I took it about a decade ago when still living in Amsterdam over a four year period and a big flu wave rolled through and I was coming down clearly the first tale tell symptoms. It may well have helped some as I did not develop the full blown flu while a number of good friends did at the same timeframe. However, I also took a bolts big bonus Vitamin D3, stressed dosed for the first day with 5mg of Hydrocortisone every hour until with symptoms resolved or I hit 50mg total in the first day. Plus I hit it with a number of LiveOn Liposomal one gram Vitamin C packets... so it's not possible for me to say for sure the Tamiflu stopped my flu all by itself.

It did not aggravate my AFIB at the time, in any event by taking the Tamiflu at a time when I was still in my last year of paroxysmal AFIB before turning persistent and me then getting it fixed with an expert ablation process started the folllowing year after the aborted Flu illness.

Good luck Wolfpack but if it has been over 24 hours after onset of the fever and big aches and weakness of a true flue, then it's not as likely to help as much as it might have with a very early starting the dosing as soon as you start feeling the Flu kick through the front door.

Get well quick!
Shannon
March 20, 2017 08:29PM
Thanks for the reply. I woke up feeling bad at 5:30 this morning, and I just took the first tamiflu dose now. So it's been a little over 12 hours. Here's hoping it works!
March 21, 2017 08:50PM
Day 2 and no ectopics to speak of. I guess this med is OK for us, although I think next season I'll be getting the shot!
March 22, 2017 01:53AM
Sounds good wolfpack and speedy recovery!

I moved the two flu/Tamiflu threads to the General Health forum where they are best to host them long term . And gave them several days on the Afibbers Forum first as there were a few AFIB and elated concerns expressed in both threads. Though overall these two threads that you and tsco posted regarding flu-related questions are very good topics to e at home on the General Health forum.

Thanks Wolfpack and Tsco!
Shannon
March 24, 2017 03:03PM
That is correct. My wife waited too long to get prescribed Tamilflu. Now she just has to ride it out. Her flu has lasted for 6 days so far.
March 24, 2017 09:24PM
Mine looked like it was going to go away on the 2nd night, one day after tamiflu. Then, overnight, it rocketed back with a vengeance and laid me out with fever of 104F on day 3. Thought about the ER, but the forecast here was for a brief return of winter with overnight lows of 25F so I shut off my heat, opened the windows and slept al-fresco. That broke the son-of-a-gun and it whimpered away yesterday. Feeling fine today and stopped the tamiflu as I think it was largely useless and was giving me weird dreams. Or maybe that was the fever. Who knows.

The good news is no more flu and maybe one or two ectopic beats through all of that inferno. If that's not a torture test for an AF ablation, I don't know what is!
March 28, 2017 11:24PM
Good to hear Wolfpack,

That a 104 fever true Flu did not get the heart jumping ... that is a good sign !

Shannon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login