Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Colonoscopy prep

Posted by wolfpack 
Colonoscopy prep
March 17, 2017 10:14PM
Delightful subject, I know...

Are there any precautions one should take regarding the prep solution? It's basically miralax and magnesium overload. I worry about the dehydration that is guaranteed to occur as a result, and how that, coupled with the darn anasthesia might trigger a storm of ectopics.

I'm planning on taking some peppermint oil a few hours before the exam to calm the gut down. Beyond that I'm not sure what to do.
Re: Colonoscopy prep
March 17, 2017 10:28PM
Wolf,

When I had mine 10 years ago, I asked for GoLytely at the suggestion of Jackie. See search here <[www.afibbers.org] It is electrolyte sparing as I recall. I was able to take dissolved mag, too. I asked not to have a general, but conscious sedation.

All went well.

I'm due for another and as I now fast 22 hours a day, and have fasted as many as 7 days, the fasting part will be no big deal. For somebody that eats normally, i.e. not low carb or keto, when the insulin drops from fasting it can trigger an electrolyte disturbance. This is because insulin signals the kidney to retain sodium and when insulin is low the kidney excretes it. This is a significant cause of what is known as "low carb flu." Best practices are to supplement with sodium when starting a very low carb diet and it would seem reasonable to do that here.

So I'd do what I can to minimize the electrolyte disturbance.

George
March 17, 2017 10:56PM
GoLytely is what they gave me. I didn't specifically ask for it, but I did tell the nurse about my AF history so maybe that's why.
March 19, 2017 10:04PM
Pretty sure that's what I used as well. Can't remember if Jackie, google search or doc recommended - one of those!
March 20, 2017 01:39PM
Wolfpak - I learned about GoLytely many years ago when I was required to have an annual colonoscopies because a couple of polyps were found and removed so they were 'watching' to be sure. Back then, they always prescribed the GoLytely type bowel prep...(drinking the large quantity of liquid prior to.) Then, the 'new and improved' prep came out and that's what I was prescribed and since I was relatively new in the Afib situation, I didn't realize the GoLytely was the best choice for afibbers. Well, sure enough, by the time I arrived for the procedure the following morning, I was in Afib and the doctor said he didn't want to risk giving me another drug so rescheduled and told me to always remember to request the electrolyte sparing bowel prep... GoLytely.

Jackie
March 20, 2017 06:23PM
I remember it well, it was a warm afternoon in August back in 2009, it was my first colonoscopy and I thought it was just routine, I woke up in the recovery room and started the first day of my Afib career.....and the rest is history, I have heard from a cardiologist and close friend that it is common for Afib to be caused from the colonoscopy prep and the anasthesia, so Wolfpack and George.... you are wise to make sure you are doing all you can to "prepare for the prep".
March 31, 2017 11:25AM
Had the procedure today. No problems to report. I could only get about 2/3 of the GoLytely down. Tastes like seawater.
April 02, 2017 12:07PM
I am scheduled for my first colonoscopy on April 6. I have been following this forum for many many years and have successfully limited my afib attacks to a few times a year. This last year I had one in march 2016 and then one in March 2017, so doing really well in my opinion. However, this colonoscopy is scaring me to death. I have gone on a very low sodium diet which seems to really limit the amount of afib. It has also dropped my blood pressure into normal range for the first time in 40 years. My choice of preps is magnesium citrate which is apparently in a saline solution, or miralax which i would take 3 times instead of the two if I don't use the magnesium citrate. So I don't know what to do. I am told that I will lose a lot of sodium during the diarrhea phase. I also wonder how many supplements I can get away with. For example can I take taurine in solution during the clear liquids only phase? What about potassium dissolved in water? Any advice would be so appreciated. I do not want to go into afib, yet I really need to get this colonoscopy. What about conscious sedation? Is that the safest way to go as far as drug-caused afib?
April 02, 2017 08:43PM
Jennifer,

Get the GoLytely and force it down the best you can. I didn't have any problems with it as far as arrhythmia is concerned. As for the anasthesia, you'd have to ask that beforehand. I'd call them right away if you want a different option than the pretty much standard propofol. If you wait until the day of the procedure then you'll probably just get bumped to a later date. The anathessists work separately from the endoscopists and they aren't ready (or willing for that matter) to deal with "curveballs" at the last minute.

Good luck with your exam!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2017 10:54PM by wolfpack.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login