Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Got The Watchman LAA Closure Device In

Posted by johnberger 
Got The Watchman LAA Closure Device In
March 13, 2017 08:40PM
Hi All,

Due to possible blood clot problems after LAA isolation, a TIA and a mild MI, I did not want to face probable multiple drug treatments for anti-coagulation and anti-platelet therapy. In consultation with Dr. Natale, I chose to procede and elected to have the Watchman device procedure done at St. David's in Austin.

There was a bit of a scare, on March 8th when I was told that there was probably a clot sitting at the opening of the LAA, after my CT scan. That would have meant a lengthy process of disolving and/or removing it with considerable risk. After a stressful night, the next day Dr. Natale ordered a 3D TEE for a much better look at exactly what the situation was in and around the LAA. The 3D TEE showed that, in fact, there was no clot there, but rather an unusual thickening in a part of the structure of the LAA. Dr. Natale working in tandem with Dr. Horton (an acknowledged expert in closure device placement) decided to procede, later that day, to place the Watchman at the opening of the LAA.
The procedure went off perfectly and I am the proud owner of a brand new Watchman closure device planted at the opening of my LAA.

I am to return to Austin in about 45 days for a repeat 3D TEE to make sure the device is seated perfectly, with no leakage around the edge. There is a very strong possibility that it will be found to have been placed perfectly with no problems.

Once again, my wife, Chris and I have found Dr. Natale and his Team to be consumate, caring professionals and St. David's Hospital to be the finest hospital we have ever visited. We joke that we go there just to go to the caffeteria and gift shop. We recommend the Hyatt Place hotel. We have stayed there 5 times in the last 2 years and have found the staff and rooms to be a real value with the hospital discount available when we mention that I am a patient at St. David's.

I can't close this post without a shout out to Shannon for being the most supportive friend a person could want. He called me before, practically during and certainly after the procedure to answer all my questions and calm my fears.

I welcome any questions you all might have and you are welcome to PM me if you like.

John Berger
Re: Got The Watchman LAA Closure Device In
March 14, 2017 08:11PM
Great news, John! I'm happy the procedure went so well for you.

Kudos to Dr. Natale and Shannon for taking such great care of you!

Let me know when you are ready to eat BBQ again and we can meet at our favorite spot. Say hi to Chris for me.

Sincerely,
Ken
March 15, 2017 10:05AM
Hi John,

I'm so glad everything went super, as I was sure it would, with the Watchman procedures for both John and Mike from our forum last Friday in Austin at St David's. In fact, on that same Friday what must be a record 15 total successful LAA closure procedures were performed at St David's 4 state of the art EP Labs plus a 5th hybrid surgical/EP Lab, including 12 Watchman and 3 Amplatzer Amulet LAA occlusion devices!

A good number of these procedures were done as part of a large multi-center registry randomized trial comparing Watchman with Amulet designed to prove whether or not Amulet is non-inferior to Watchman. All of us who have followed the rapid advances and maturation of LAA closure devices and procedure techniques are sure this trial is mostly a necessary formality with the large amount of prior evidence from Europe, Canada, Asia and the Middle East in recent years all giving similar high confidence in the safety and efficacy of both the Watchman and Amulet when installed by experieced operators.

This trial is mostly to validate inclusion of Amulet as an FDA approved LAA closure option to the Watchman.

John and Mike's cases were not part of the randomized trial but were there that same day as part of what became 'LAA Closure Friday' at St Davids as they were both specific Watchman cases, partly to insure full insurance coverage. Once Amulet if fully FDA approved, insurance companies are sure to start loosing up more on paying for both device but until then the Watchman is the one LAA occlusion device that is frequently approved by most insurance for those like John and Mike who clearly meet the defined criteria for LAA Closure.

Keep in mind that there are 12 other highly experienced EPs besides Dr Natale and Dr Rodney Horton who together both did John's and Mike's Watchman installs and a a handful of the other EPs too at St Davids Medical Center under Dr Natale's directorship did the rest of 15 such procedures in one day. That number of EP procedures is nothing out of the ordinary there where they average roughly between 14 to 18 ablations a day there on a typical day in the largest AFIB ablation research center in the world.

And a Watchman/Amulet installation takes all of 20 to 30 minutes tops for experienced operators like in Austin.

Both John and Mike remarked to me how it felt like almost nothing was done to them, and that is a typical experience for LAA occlusion devices.

Cheers!
Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2017 10:13AM by Shannon.
March 15, 2017 01:12PM
Thanks to all who posted.
I am looking into having the Watchman device "installed"..

Don
March 15, 2017 03:47PM
I also will be looking into getting the watchman installed. I just hope Medicare approves it. The cost of the newer blood thinners will cause me to get into the donut hole on Medicare part D. I will be changing from Eliquis to Xarelto in May because Eliquis is more expensive this year; approx. $1300 if I stay with Eliquis. I have enough Eliquis samples to make it to mid May.

I would also like to have another TEE done. I was having Heart palpitations during the last TEE and it is possible that messed up my TEE results.

Anyway, I am doing well. Heart palpitations were mainly caused by antihistamines. I just want to hear that the wonderful Physicians in Austin are confident with the watchman.
April 12, 2017 07:25PM
John -- Hope all is still going well for you.

At your convenience, would you be able to provide us an update on the Watchman? I'm certain many of us here are very interested.

Thank you.

/L
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login