Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Safe to supplement copper?

Posted by NickC 
Safe to supplement copper?
March 01, 2017 12:14PM
Is it likely to be safe to supplement someone with A/F with a little copper in the form of Copper Gluconate?

They have no blood tests to determine if there is a copper deficiency but I have read many places that copper deficiency is more often than not the cause of A/F.

Over here in the UK the NHS pathology labs refuse to test for either copper or zinc so it is difficult to establish if deficient or not.
Re: Safe to supplement copper?
March 02, 2017 08:49AM
Hi Nick - I pulled this together quickly ... so that you could be aware of some of the safety issues associated with copper.
It's definitely an important nutrient, but in very minor doses and deserves your research time before supplementing with it.

You can read about copper functions and requirements here at Oregon State [lpi.oregonstate.edu]. And this from the Mayo Clinic [www.mayoclinic.org]

Also, there are cautions about copper.

Retired neurosurgeon, Russell L. Blaylock, MD, writes in his newsletter, The Blaylock Wellness Report (Feb. 2007) that “ copper can dramatically worsen atherosclerosis and promote the growth of certain cancers. Researchers believe the reason is that copper is a copper catalyst for free radical generation and lipid peroxidation.” He reports that new studies indicate high copper may be particularly damaging to the aging brain….seen in high copper content water was related to severe dementia and brain changes seen in Alzheimer’s patients; and references a study of 6158 elderly people over 6 years found those disturbing results.”

However, certain cells do need very minor amounts of copper to maintain health… ie, retinal tissue for those with macular degeneration. And, the copper must be balanced with zinc.

Since you are unable to be tested for either copper or zinc, I’d want to be very cautious with adding copper until you do thorough research. The Oregon State link is a good place to start.

That said, eye doctors treating macular degeneration patients prescribe an nutritional supplement protocol that includes a daily dose of copper (2 mg) and zinc (80 mg) – once a day or the over-the-counter eye formula Ocuvite Preservision… which contains
• Zinc (as zinc oxide) -- 34.8 mg
• Copper (cupric oxide) -- 0.8 mg.
Taken twice a day.

I’m just providing that information so you can see the low dosage amounts. Also, this is a commercial preparation and the forms are oxide. (Note that for magnesium supplements and arrhythmia, the least bioavailable or absorbable form is magnesium oxide... so I’m not sure that Occuvite and similar are the most efficient.)

There is a zinc bisglycinate chelate form of zinc patented by Albion Labs that is known to be a well-absorbed form; although zinc is found in a wide variety of foods, including oysters, red meat and poultry, beans, nuts, certain seafood, whole grains, fortified breakfast cereals, and dairy products. Inadequate zinc status can result from poor absorption, chronic alcohol intake, digestive diseases and poor diet.

This website talks about copper gluconate and appropriate use and dosing
[www.rebuildyourvision.com]

Jackie
Re: Safe to supplement copper?
March 03, 2017 06:35AM
Thanks Jackie, very helpful will read all of that before any supplemental experiments.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login