Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

High-volume Watchman centers

Posted by tmac52 
High-volume Watchman centers
February 09, 2017 03:40PM
Other than Dr. Gibson in San Diego, who does the most Watchman procedures? I would like to see a list of at least five doctors, identifying how many procedures per month they have averaged over the last two years. Thanks in advance for any info that anyone can share.
Re: High-volume Watchman centers
February 10, 2017 01:15AM
Renowned Interventional Cardiologist Saibal Kar has done a bunch of Watchman's too in LA at USC Med Center's Cedars Sinai. Dr Kar and his colleague and friend, Dr. Douglas Gibson, a bit south down the Pacific coast highway 101 to La Jolla at Scripps Green Hospital, have a friendly ongoing competition checking in with each other every few weeks or so to see which one had temporarily leapfrogged the other as leader in total Watchman cases done in the US. At least that was true a bit over a year ago, and no doubt there are other high volume installers elsewhere too, like at St Davids in Austin for sure.

St Davids is one of a number of big centers conducting the large Watchman vs. Amplatzer Amulet LAA Occlusion randomized comparative non-inferiority trial ongoing right now as we speak.

Shannon

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2017 02:20PM by Shannon.
February 11, 2017 12:14AM
Thanks Shannon. I'm considering St. David's, Scripps, and UW Medical Center. Good news is that after initially denying coverage, my insurer has approved the Watchman implant for me after an IRO overturned the insurer's denial.

I wonder if anyone on the forum has had the Watchman implanted in their heart and, if so, whether they might be able to share their experiences.
February 11, 2017 02:33PM
I have an appointment later this month for a consult on the watchmen device at Scripps.
It sounds like insurance will probably deny it. I'm still not sure if this is the right way to go.
Being 52, I don't think it's a good idea to stay on Eliquis long-term.
Recent visit with my local EP (FHRS), he said I do not need to be on Eliquis. He said it is not the standard of care.
He said he would prescibe Eliquis as long as I agree it is against his advice.
I'm still sticking with DR. NATALE's recommendation to be on Eliquis because of a slow LAA.
February 12, 2017 09:45PM
I'm surprised that any EP would object to prescribing an anti-coagulant if the patient has an LAA that is basically dead (no contractions or weak contractions, and subpar velocity), and thus a known clot risk. I would love to hear his or her rationale.

I'm on Eliquis, but would expect to get off it if I have the Watchman implanted and the procedure is a success.

Even though my insurer has now given the green light, I am still uncertain as to whether I should go for it. I'm 64 and don't want to be on Eliquis for the rest of my life (my father almost died from a bleeding episode while on warfarin), yet I don't like the idea of having a contraption in my heart either. Not an easy decision.
February 16, 2017 03:25PM
I believe Dr. Doshi as Pacific Heart Institute (Santa Monica) has done a lot of Watchman work, too.
February 24, 2017 09:23PM
I too, am going for the Watchman procedure. I had my LAA ablated by Dr. Natale in Aug. of '15. I had two echo tests showing good blood flow and was released from taking the Elequis I was taking. Six months later I had a mild TIA which scared me and a month after that I had a mild MI which resulted in me getting a stent placed. It seemed like the right time to reevaluate my situation, and after consultation with both Shannon and Dr. Natale we came to the conslusion that a closure device placement was a wise choice for me. In the mean time I have been blood thinning with low dose Elequis after being on Plavix for a couple of months after my stent placement. I will be travelling to Austin on March 7th and having the Watchman placed on March 9th by Drs. Natale and Horton. These highly experienced and successful Doctors are doing A LOT of these procedures and I feel I will be in good hands under their care. I thank Almighty God for guiding me to this choice.

John
February 28, 2017 05:17PM
I may be heading to Austin in June. But I am still struggling with whether it's best to take Eliquis forever or have the Watchman implanted and then have to take aspirin forever. What made you cast your vote in the Watchman camp vs. taking Eliquis forever. Did the experts think that particularly with your stroke and MI history, the Watchman would be better?
March 01, 2017 09:49PM
For me, the protection from embolic stroke was the deciding factor. Taking Eliquis for life was a risky choice I was not willing to take. Taking a baby aspirin for life was something I could live with.

John
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login