Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Boosting Mg levels

Posted by The Anti-Fib 
Boosting Mg levels
February 09, 2017 03:41AM
I am trying to raise my Mg levels. I take Doctors Best Mg 500mg/day and I drink the Mg/Waller Water.
I can't afford the IV drip treatments like the "Myers Cocktail", as they run $100-$140 a treatment.
So I am looking at Epsom Salt foot soaks and whole Body baths. Any opinions on how effective this
is at getting Mg into the body?, or how this compares to topical Mg gels?
Re: Boosting Mg levels
February 09, 2017 07:48AM
No experience with the topical oils, but an Epsom salt bath will certainly get Mg into your body. So much so, that you may have soft stools or outright loose bowels if you soak for too long.

It's quite cheap and effective.
February 09, 2017 08:56AM
Anti-Fib - The topical/transdermal delivery from either the Epsom Salts soaks or "oils" work well. It just takes the time to do it. The foot soaks are efficient since the surface of the feet have the largest pores and that facilitates rapid and - efficient absorption. The transdermal oils or gel work to relax muscles in about 15 minutes so that offers proof that the delivery is quick. The gel has a sticky feeling - and has to be washed off... or at least that's the way I feel. So sometimes the foot soak works better - time wise. Shannon has previously posted on a spray type he likes.

I presume you are saying that you are at the bowel tolerance level with your 500 mg daily dosing of the Doctor's Best?
If so, I'd try the spray for convenience and also probably a "lesser" dose at one time so you can ramp up but try to avoid the bowel issue.

Jackie
February 09, 2017 01:15PM
Anti-Fib - I was listening to a webinar on insulin resistance and the presenting physician mentioned that in an arrhythmia patient she was helping to increase magnesium levels with some difficulty, she found applying the Mg gel to the bottom of the feet worked quickly and efficiently.... so much so that the nephrologist who was also treating the patient asked that she just continue on with the oral supplement and stop the transdermal since he was concerned about how quickly the the Mg level elevated since the patient had some beginnings of kidney impairment as well and he wanted to proceed with caution..

The doctor also mentioned the best way to use the transdermal both for convenience and efficacy was to apply to the bottom of the feet at bedtime; then put socks on and if that area still felt tacky in the morning, then wash off. She said that you should wait a minimum of 30 minutes for optimal absorption and doing it at bedtime made it easy and patients were more likely to comply and stick with it. As a side benefit, the relaxing effect helps with quality sleep as well.

Jackie
February 09, 2017 10:38PM
See this post on making your own magnesium "oil" for topical use <[www.afibbers.org]
June 20, 2017 01:46PM
Is there any way to control your magnesium absorption orally? Based on this, it seems like IV is the way to go:

[www.accesahealth.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login