Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Good EP in South Jersey / Philadelphia?

Posted by MarkF786 
Good EP in South Jersey / Philadelphia?
February 06, 2017 01:44PM
I've had periodic afib episodes for the past 5 years, all of which quickly converted with a pill-in-the-pocket (300mg Flecainide). When it started, I would get it a few times years, though it progressed to about seven episodes last year - but the past five weeks it has become a weekly event (usually on Sunday night / Monday morning). It's vagally mediated, almost always occurring while asleep, and I do not have sleep apnea. The uncertainty of getting an episode is starting to bother me, not to mention Flecainide makes me feel like crap.

I first found this site near the beginning of my journey, and I began following the recommended protocol with magnesium, potassium, taurine, etc (more details to follow later), but an unrelated doctor convinced me a few months ago to stop taking supplements and to just get the necessary vitamins & minerals through diet - but now the afib is occurring more frequently. I've started taking my supplements as I had in the past, but meanwhile looking for a new EP.

My current EP has no interest in discussing supplements or even discussing dietary triggers (in the past, my episodes where usually connected to low potassium or high sodium, thought recently the triggers have been less clear). He just says eventually I'll need a catheter ablation and anything I do now is only delaying the inevitable.

I've been looking at EPs at the University of Pennsylvania, generally a very good hospital, and the top EPs seem to either 1) not be accepting new patients or 2) only accepting referrals from other cardiologists. I was able to schedule an appointment with an EP that was around #5 on my list, so I'll be seeing him in two weeks.

Are there any EPs that you would recommend in the South Jersey or Philadelphia area? I figure when the time comes for a catheter ablation, I would like to be with a doctor I trust and who has done a large number of these procedures.

Thanks for your help.
Re: Good EP in South Jersey / Philadelphia?
February 08, 2017 02:25AM
Welcome Mark,

University of Penn is indeed a top center and I highly recommend Dr Fermin Garcia and Dr Pasquale Santangeli there as excellent EP ablationist.

Dr Garcia as the new Director of the EP Lab there I believe is the busiest AFIB ablationist there at this time. Dr Frank Marchlinski, the outstanding mentor and educator of EPs at this top quality EP Fellowship program is the overall Director of Electrophysiology, though these days does not do many ablations any more and is focused on research and overseeing the big program there.

Dr David Callans too who ... like Fermin Garcia is now ... used to be the busiest and most in demand ablationist at Penn, and like all the EPs there, is an excellent clinician too, but he focuses more VT ablation these days and also has more of his focus on research now too as the torch has been past to the next gen of front line ablationist like Dr Garcia and Dr Santangeli. Dr Robert Schaller is a key member of their staff as well, as is Dr. David Frankel and Dr David Lin.

There are a number of other skillled EPs in the large U of Penn Cardiac Arrhythmia group but I know less about some of them, however, like with the renowned St Davids Arrhythmia Center too under the Directorship of Dr Natale and 12 other outstanding EPs, you will not find any dummy's being accepted into such prestigious elite level centers as these two excellent programs.

If you wish to get your ablation in Pennsylvania, Mark, Univ of Penn is the place to be!

Shannon
February 08, 2017 07:10AM
Shannon,

Thanks so much for the informative reply! My appointment actually is with Dr Fermin Garcia, so I feel in good hands now.

I originally tried to get an appointment with Dr. Marchlinski or Dr. Callans due to their general acclaim, but was unable to. It guess God stepped in and steered the situation in the right direction.

I look forward to seeing Dr. Garcia. This morning I had afib for the second time this week, so things are definitely accelerating.

Mark
February 08, 2017 10:13AM
Great Choice Mark!

Dr Fermin Garcia is an excellent AFIB ablationist! You'll be in fine hands with him.

Check my PM to you and keep us posted,

Cheers!

Shannon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login