Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Top Level AFIB Ablation EPs list Down Under (Australia)

Posted by Shannon 
Top Level AFIB Ablation EPs list Down Under (Australia)
February 05, 2017 01:48PM
Great news for all of our Australian afibber friends,

I recently returned from the AF Symposium 2017 in Orlando where, among a number of key priorities on my check list, I was able to tick off the request I have had from many of our Down Under afibbers over the years asking for their best options for an expert ablation EP in this large continent-sized country.

Happily, I was able to corral the always kind world-renowned elite ablationist, Professor Pierre Jais of the famed Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Bordeaux in Bordeaux France, asking if he would share with us the EPs he could heartily recommend for performing an expert AFIB ablation in Australia. Professor Jais has an initmate familiarity with the Australian EP community as many Aussie EPs have benefited from direct training by the Bordeaux team, either in Bordeaux, or within Australia itself when one or more of the Bordeaux team has traveled there for extended mentoring of EPs in this country.

In fact, Professor Jais recently spent a prolonged sabbatical from his normal Bordeaux duties doing ablations and mentoring EPs in Perth with Dr. Weerasooriya (and perhaps other cities there as well during this more recent visit). So lets get to the list shown in no order of preference, as Prof. Jais made no such distinction while reassuring me that they were all highly skilled AFIB ablationists.

Dr. Prash Sanders - (Adelaide)
Dr. Mark McQuire - (Sydney Matter Hospital)
Dr. Stuart Thomas - (Sydney Westmead Hospital)
Dr. John Kalman - (Melbourne)
Dr. Rukshen Weerasooriya - (Perth - Owner & Director - AF Ablation Clinic)

Gladly, this list of top tier EPs covers a wide swath of this very spread out country.

Keep in mind, though, that it is still up to each person to individually assess and vet this list while making a choice for who to entrust their own hearts to when guiding their own ablation process. Confirm the type and number of ablations each has done considering the same type, duration and how advanced your own AFIB may be. While we have only limited direct experience on our forum with Aussie EPs, I have previously heard of each of these doctors individually, and each one in a good light, during my various conversations at AF conferences over the last few years. And now, getting such an easy thumbs up for this selective list from Professor Jais, gives me the confidence to recommend this group as an excellent starting point for any Australian searching for a robust solution to their own AFIB saga.

Many thanks once again to Professor Jais!

Cheers!

Shannon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2017 02:29AM by Shannon.
Re: Top Level AFIB Ablation EPs list Down Under (Australia)
February 06, 2017 10:01AM
I think Prof Jais accent may have been a little hard to transcribe as I noticed Stuart Thomas being at U. of Sydney so that would mean Westmead Hospital. I didn't check the other ones. Prash Sanders is correct from memory.
February 08, 2017 02:33AM
Thanks researcher, for the spelling correction for Westmead Hospital in Sydney. Indeed, as you surmised, I was scribbling like mad at the time trying to catch all
the names and locations as Prof. Jais was kind enough to verbally share them with us.

Shannon
February 03, 2020 07:10PM
Hi
I had ablation at Westmead in 2005 and had terrible complication, ending up in ICU. After that I was not able to rebuild my trust in doctors in Australia I have traveled to Bordeaux, two times, to have ablation done by Dr.Jais.
December 07, 2020 11:51PM
Hi
I had two ablations in Bordeaux last one in 2007. I was af free all the years. Unfortunately af returned this year. I am having ablation done 14 December 2020 in Adelaide by Prash Sanders, suggested by Dr Pierre Jais who did my two ablations in Bordeaux. I have not been on this forum all these years I was AF free. I never responded to any anti arrythmia medications only had side oeffects from all medications available. I have tried them all. I decided to have ablation in 2006, 2007 and now, due to the lack of success with any of the medications. I live in Syeney but decide to have operation done by Dr Prash Sanders. In Adelaide.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login